Teff Dinner Rolls

by Emma on June 13, 2012

in Bread

I love baking things in my cast iron skillet. It took me a while to realize you could just pop these (or stainless steel pans) right into the oven. How fun! It’s sort of like when you find crayons in your refrigerator.

Well. Actually no. It’s not really like that.

It’s just sort of fun when things have dual purposes. I feel like my skillet can do double duty since she can both sauté and bake (and yeah, mine’s totally a she). And that’s sort of cool. Plus I like having a handle for pulling it out of the oven.

The main draw back to baking with cast iron is that the pan is very, very heavy. I’m not a strong lady. I go to the gym, yeah. But I don’t lift much, and it’s real hard. I’m just not strong. So pulling a heavy and super hot pan out of the oven is dangerous. Not to mention that every time I open the oven with my glass on they fog up like crazy.

So I can’t see.

And I’m not strong.

But dang it, I still get that pan out of the oven. Because that’s how I do.

I like trying something sweet and savory with all my new flour adventures to start. I made teff cookies so now I’ve added teff dinner rolls to my list of breads I’ve baked this year (we’re up to 16 so far!). Both of these turned out pretty good. I think I like teff. We are friends now.

Teff Dinner Rolls, makes 16, adapted from this recipe.

Needed: 3 cups all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup teff flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 2 teaspoons active dry yeast, 2 tablespoons sugar, 3/4 cup warm water and 2/3 cup milk. Melted butter and coarse sea salt for the topping.

In a small bowl dissolve the sugar in the warm water. Add the yeast allow this to bubble. In the bowl of mixer combine the flours and salt. Now pour in the yeasty water and milk. With the dough hook attachment mix/knead the bread until the dough is smooth. You could also do this by hand.

Oil and bowl, set the dough ball inside and cover with plastic wrap. Allow this to rise for 1 hour.

Turn dough out onto a floured surface and divide into 16 pieces. Roll each into a bowl and lay in your baking… uh… vessel. Cover and allow to rise for another hour.

Bake at 350 F for 22-25 minutes. Remove from oven, brush with melted butter and sprinkle with sea salt. xo. Emma

Dani June 13, 2012 at 4:22 am

I’m with you on this one. I love my cast iron skillets! I pretty much use them for everything now and am working really hard for them to become “well seasoned.” The best part is the more you use them, the better they get. Fifty years from now the family will be fighting to have these passed down to them. They don’t know it yet, but they will. :)

Claudia June 13, 2012 at 9:49 am

Hi Emma,
do you use or have you ever used “mother yeast” to make bread or pizza? I don’t know how make it, but my mother in law gave me one piece and I’m now using it all the time: it’s convenient, natural and it can last for ever (if you remember to “refresh” it adding flour and water every 7 or 10 days). When you know you’re not using it for a long time, you can put it in the freezer and take it out when you need it, remembering to defrost it. Usually you just put it in the refrigerator, except when you refresh it: in that case, you have to leave it out for a night.

Have a nice time,
Claudia :)

Emma June 13, 2012 at 12:24 pm

No, I can’t say I have. Hmm…

Ruth June 13, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Hi Emma,
These look yummy!
Hey, have you ever tried Irish or English butter? I got a friend onto it who LOVES butter and now won’t eat anything else. It’s more yellow in color, richer, and a tad more expensive but OH so worth it if you’re going to continue on with your wonderous bread baking. Kerrygold is a good one to start with and is available in lots of decent supermarkets. It’s really good for shorbread/shortcake recipes too.

Kacie // Gorge in the Gorge June 13, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Haha. I use my cast iron (extra large) nearly every day! It’s worth the lifting effort! I actually use it when grilling too.. I just posted my first cooking video using it on the grill to cook chicken… http://gorgeinthegorge.com/blog/cooking-video-chicken-under-brick-and-grilled-kale-caesar-salad

You should totally give it a try. Sounds like you’re as in love with your skillet as I am with mine. Love finding new uses for it. Didn’t know you could cook bread in it!

Kacie

chibiwow June 14, 2012 at 2:26 am

Yes, I shared with your sentiments about iron skillet, they could be efficient and irritating at times. But those Teff Dinner Rolls is really worth it. Yummy.

Julienne June 14, 2012 at 8:29 pm

I’ve never heard of teff flour. What’s the flavor like? Your presentation in the cast iron skillet is beautiful.

Freya June 14, 2012 at 9:04 pm

I think I may try these babies out tomorrow. I haven’t baked in a long long time!
Fromfreyawithlove.blogspot.com

teddi June 14, 2012 at 9:26 pm

another dish i wish i could reach through the computer screen & snag a bite of. i’d wash my hands, i swear.

Kelsey June 14, 2012 at 11:05 pm

I totally know how you feel. I just baked my first cake in my cast iron skillet the other day (from Joy the Baker). It was delicious and now I’m obsessed. I’m not a strong girl either. Thank goodness my husband has big muscles otherwise I’d be in trouble. Thanks for the recipe!

Christine June 16, 2012 at 12:35 pm

You are hilarious! Don’t get me wrong, I love A Beautiful Mess, but your posts always have me laughing to myself and wishing I had the energy to bake your delicious recipes. You da bomb, enough said.