Coconut Curry Shrimp

by Emma on June 8, 2012

in Uncategorized

I’ve been trying to dream up new (to me) summer entertaining ideas. Ever since we built a fire pit in my backyard I have the itch to have folks over for cook outs. So easy appetizers, cocktails and dessert options are on my mind….

Also, I recently made a little trip to Sam’s Club and ended up with a HUGE bag of frozen shrimp cocktail from the last cook out. Sam’s Club (or Costco, whatever) are funny places. I don’t have a big family, or even a pantry, so buying in bulk doesn’t always make a lot of sense for my lifestyle right now. BUT. I like how everything comes in bulk. I like the bulk option. Maybe it’s my lack of maturity but having a “2 oranges” on your grocery list and then realizing your only option is a bag of 20 is just a funny moment.

And the carts are giant. Which gives it a surreal feeling.

But, I’m easily entertained. Obviously.

For these I simply defrosted, detailed and deveined the shrimp. Breaded with eggs then a breadcrumb/curry/coconut mix and fried. Next time I think I may double bread them with a flour mix first. I like my breading, what can I say.

I cut these skewers to fit in my dutch oven and fried the shrimp right on the sticks. This made it much easier to do quickly and then serving them is easy peasy too. I like sticks. (Again, easily entertained over here!).

Do you have any easy outdoor type entertaining ideas for me? I’d love to try some of them out. xo. Emma

MJ June 8, 2012 at 5:01 pm

These look real good.And I have to agree with you,breading is awsome :)

Foodloveandhappiness June 8, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Hmmm looks good!

Veronique June 8, 2012 at 5:17 pm

absolutely gorgeous and a great idea for happy hour!

xx

Sarah June 8, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Haha I know the feeling, shopping for two is not really supported in the supermarket! Everything is jumbo or gargantuan sized! Outdoor idea’s…. hmmm kabob party? 60s themed party? picnic party! Everyone eats on blankets! Whoops I’m rambling ;)

♥Sarah♥
theantiquepearl.blogspot.com

shannon June 8, 2012 at 6:01 pm

This looks delicious!

Rachel June 8, 2012 at 6:20 pm

I think I would like the double breading too. It might stick better too. They look great.

Vintagehoneybee.blogspot.com

Kate Eliza June 8, 2012 at 6:33 pm

What a perfect, yummy Summer treat! My boyfriend will love these!

Tertia June 8, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Kebabs! Have a kebab party! You could have all kinds of kebabs, including these delicious looking shrimp ones! And then for dessert you could have cold or frozen fruit kebabs (chocolate dipped fruit = better still!). Kebabs are: utterly delicious, easy and summery! Oh… and they include sticks, so that makes it EVEN BETTER!!! :)
Tertia xx
p.s. Have you ever tried frozen blueberries? They are awesome. Freeze for 1 hour then snack… currently obsessed with them. ;)

Linda Lanae Nguyen Bailey - Fashion Recycler June 9, 2012 at 12:41 am

Those look amazingly delishhh!

Jacqui June 9, 2012 at 2:38 am

I’m not sure how your fire pit works, but something we do is wrap stuff in foil and slow cook, either on coals or on a tray above the coals. It has to be at just coals though, flames aren’t so good for a slow cook. If you can get your hands on some oversized zucchini (where you leave them unpicked for too long and they take up waaaaay too much water), cut them in half lengthways, scoop out the inside, stuff them with a mixture of whatever you like (feta, pine nuts, roast sweet potato, whatever), put the two halves back together once stuffed, wrap them in foil and let them cook slowly. Yummo. Happy summertime fire pit! We are having wintertime fire pits :) .

DaddyDonnie June 9, 2012 at 11:06 am

Your Dad LOVES shrimp and these look “Oh, so good.” We’ve done Kebabs on the grill a couple of times now and they are just wonderful, especially with our garden vegetables. Jamaican Jerk marinade is the best and I’m sure we could work in some Tofu!

irene wibowo June 9, 2012 at 5:06 pm

looks yummy.. :)

Irene Wibowo

célèste June 9, 2012 at 6:16 pm

You should definitely try grilling fruit. It’s fun and delicious, and makes for a unique and healthful desert option for backyard parties. I recommend grilled pineapple with a vanilla bean sauce. Peaches and other stone fruits grill up really well too. Just halve them, remove the pit, and grill them on both sides.

Louise Amabilis June 10, 2012 at 6:33 am

mmm those look delicious
Something super easy is just slicing a banana in half throw some butter and brown sugar on it wrap in foil and throw it on the bbq/firepit

louise-amabilis.blogspot.com

Sophia June 10, 2012 at 7:48 pm

wow this looks amazing! Perfect for summer

I am a high school student cooking my way onto culinary school and it would mean the world to me if people could look at my blog!

thank you so much if you can! If not keep cooking!

Enya June 11, 2012 at 1:20 am

Emma…

I’m not particularly a huge cook but I read your posts because you are hilarious. The funniest blogger. Like, ever. Stay fantastic.

You and your sister are my favorite. You are the funniest to read, and she has the happiest pictures.
You guys are my inspiration! I want to grow up to be like you guys.

Enya :)

Claudia June 11, 2012 at 10:03 am

Hi Emma,
I like breading food as well.
I suggest you put shrimp into the flour, then into beaten eggs mixed with half grated lemon peel and then to bread them. At last fry them.
You can use this option to make a real good “cotoletta alla milanese” – breaded veal cutlet – except for putting the meat into the flour: it’s yummyyy!

Have a nice time,
Claudia

Meghan June 11, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Anything on the stick equals awesome entertainment – consider the roasted marshmallow, popsicle, corn-dog, or cake ball. Maybe you need to have a food on sticks party?!

I suggest dredging the shrimp in cornstarch, then dipping in egg white and then the coconut curry mixture. Everything stick better so you don’t need double the batter. This is how restaurants produce their coconut shrimp. Good luck.

Chineka June 15, 2012 at 1:02 pm

I love coconut shrimp so this should be tasty. I tried it with mango sauce one time and I loved it.

Barny June 25, 2012 at 12:15 pm

mm i like the sticks too, very entertained :) i like starters the most, mains are too big and stuff on sticks always feels bitesize and starterish!

Barnicles