Easy Brussels Sprouts Stir Fry

by Emma on May 29, 2012

in Dinner,Vegan

My crazy love/obsession with brussels sprouts is still going strong. We are coming up on our six month anniversary… or so.

I don’t actually keep track of that kind of thing because, dude, it’s just food.

But I’m thinking we should go ahead and make it official or something. Me and brussels sprouts are just meant to be.

Before I left for a little camping adventure this weekend I made a quick brussels sprouts stir fry one day for lunch. I love how this meal is suuuuuuuper quick and totally filling without having any bread. Don’t get me wrong—I have nothing against bread. I mean, I’m a baker…. so…. I like bread. But often times it’s easy to lean too heavily on carbs in a vegetarian/pescatarian diet. I also liked this meal because it incorporates soy meat. I actually don’t eat a whole lot of faux meats. I’m not entirely sure why. I don’t have any real issues with soy I just never got in the habit of using fake meats after I went vegetarian.

I think it’s funny every time I do cook with fake meat because I usually show some kind of picture on instagram and then I have friends leave comments about how they are concerned since I’m eating meat.

Gottcha.

I’m the one who insists on sharing pictures of what I’m eating or cooking constantly though, so… I can’t really judge anyone’s behavior. I’m a weirdo. What can I say, I like my hobbies. I do I do.

There’s no real “recipe” here. I just stir fired a few quartered brussels sprouts and a veggie sausage. I like to heat up my pan with the oil until it’s really hot before adding the ingredients. Like, watch-out-the-oil’s-a-gonna-burn-you hot. I sometimes get impatient, but that’s the goal. I added few walnuts toward the end and seasoned with sea salt. Normally I’d say you need a lot more seasoning but the soy sausage was already pretty heavily spiced, in my opinion. But if you make something similar to this dish and you are using real sausage, or no meat then be sure to add more seasonings of your choosing.

Hope you all had a fabulous weekend. All my clothes smell like a river and I have a pretty sweet sun burn where my hair parts… so I had a pretty fab weekend too. :) xo. Emma

Emilie May 29, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Mmmm! I have brussels sprouts and soy sausage in my refrigerator! I know what I’m having for lunch today :)

Becca May 29, 2012 at 2:04 pm

I Loooooooooove brussel sprouts. Not so fond of veggie meats, personally. I was eating vegetarian before my pregnancy (I know its still healthy to eat a vegetarian diet while pregnant, but sometimes nothing sounded good but a steak, and well… can’t starve my baby, right?)

I wish I could get my husband to eat vegetarian dishes more enthusiastically! Sometimes I slip soy-meal started into our chili and he doesn’t know the difference. Maybe because I also put beer in the chili… whoops.

Libby May 29, 2012 at 3:10 pm

I love brussels sprouts so much. Breaks my little heart that we’re supposed to think they’re repulsive until we reach adulthood and then realize that we’ve been lied to our whole lives. My favorite way is to quarter them and stir-fry them like you did, here, but with a little splash of balsamic and parmesean.
This is my kinda lunch.

Zoe May 29, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Looks amazing, i adore those things!!

Zoe

Amy May 29, 2012 at 4:29 pm

I’ve only ever roasted brussels sprouts so I’m anxious to try this method!

xoxo,
mon amy

Chris May 29, 2012 at 6:14 pm

I love the simplicity of this dish – what a great idea. I think a yummy chorizo would work well for the meat eaters or even a simple smoked sausage or kielbasa.

candace May 29, 2012 at 11:10 pm

Mmm. Have you tried any of the Field Roast “sausages” yet? I think their Apple Sage style would be super good with brussels :) Also, their Frankfurters are pretty awesome for summer grillin’.
I’ve got river clothes to wash too from a super relaxed floating adventure…such a good Memorial weekend activity!

Erica May 30, 2012 at 7:34 am

I’m totally with you! Brussel Sprouts are one of my favorite vegetables!

Sarah May 31, 2012 at 1:20 am

I’m vegan and I never was a big fan of the fake meat. It’s too salty and heavy! My favorite kind of brussels sprouts are maple roasted.

DaddyDonnie May 31, 2012 at 1:03 pm

If you haven’t yet, check out the prices on the Brussels at the Amish store over on Grand just east of Glenstone. Cool little store! Your mom takes me there with her.

Emma May 31, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Yesssssssss

Joanna June 17, 2012 at 3:19 pm

I love Brussels Sprouts so so much but I had never thought of putting into a stir fry dish. I’m going to try it with Linda McCartney Red Onion and Rosemary sausages (I take it you’re in the US, I hope you get these over your way).

Found you via another blog called She Cooks, She Eats and I think your blog is great :)

Joanna x