DIY Magazine Holder

by Emma on April 12, 2012

in Craft

I have quite the growing collection of magazines. It’s sort of embarrassing really. I collect: Everyday Food, Everyday with Rachel Ray, This Old House, and I have a bunch of old issues of ReadyMade and the entire first year of Teen Vogue. I have a few other subscriptions, but I don’t really collect them as much as read them (or maybe it would be more accurate to say I look at them) and either recycle them or cut them up for projects.

Anyway, I have been trying to find more creative and cute ways to display my magazine archives; rather than leave them in this giant disorganized basket at the foot of my bed. So I decided to make some magazine holders with some left over wall paper I had.

1. Supplies needed: small boxes (like cereal boxes), packing tape, adhesive (I used Mod Podge) and decorative paper (mine was wall paper scraps). 2. Cut your boxes into magazine holder shapes (whatever that means to you-I wanted a slight slant on the sides) and reinforce the boxes with packaging tape. 3. Use your adhesive to glue large pieces of paper to the sides of your box. 4. Trim and fold the paper and continue gluing it to the box until you have covered all sides.

I found that these were best displayed together, or you could have them in among thicker books or book ends. They don’t stand up well on there own-that’s all I’m saying.

Thanks for letting me share project #16 of my 2012 craft challenge with you all. Keep it real. xo. Emma

Kendall April 12, 2012 at 2:36 pm

I love this project! I’ve heard about making cereal boxes into magazine holders but never saw ones as pretty as these. I am a magazine hoarder too and this will be so much better than crossing my fingers that I can find cute ones in the dollar section at Target. Also thinking about stealing this idea to make book boxes for my classroom. Another great idea from a blog I adore!

Clare April 12, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Good idea, they look really nice. I have a load of magazines that could do with some organisation!

lydia. April 12, 2012 at 5:09 pm

I have been looking for a super cute magazine holder. I can’t wait to make this! Thanks!

Tertia April 12, 2012 at 5:25 pm

These look lovely! I did a similar project a while ago. I think I used a flimsy, ugly cardboard magazine holder I had lying around; I then covered it in small, rough squares of old wrapping paper and craft paper, then with sticky-back plastic so that bits didn’t come off. It turned out quite nice but it took me a few long hours to make. Yours looks much neater and is less time consuming! I need a few new magazine holders, so I’ll definitely try this soon!
Thanks for sharing a fab project :) xx

LARY @ Inspiration Nook April 12, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Love this idea and love the paper you used :)

Corey Marie April 12, 2012 at 7:37 pm

You might try a layer or two of thick corrugated cardboard in the bottom (glued on the inside) to help make it a little more sturdy! At least, that’s what I’d try. They look lovely!

Hannah April 12, 2012 at 7:45 pm

I love that you collect Teen Vogue! Every time I come home from university there is a nice little stack on my bed for me to flip through. I’m no longer a teen but I still love it!

hannah

Miss K April 12, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Great idea! So original!

shannon April 12, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Such a super cute idea!

Patricia Picard April 13, 2012 at 3:00 am

You know that thing super easy but oh so briliant. Thanks for the idea, i’m sure decorating those cereal boxes!

Becca Letteer April 13, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Such a cute idea! I want to start crafting more while we’re preparing for our baby to come, and decorating a nursery on a very, very tight budget. This would be cute in a vintage childrens pattern to hold magazines to flip through for late night feedings! So many great ideas.

Peri's Spice Ladle April 13, 2012 at 4:29 pm

This is a great idea…even I have an absurd amount of magazine:) Now a simple way to use leftover gift wrap paper and cereal boxes!

Charlotte April 13, 2012 at 5:08 pm

this is an awesome idea, it’ll be really handy to keep all my uni stuff in :) I saw that you read fantasy novels and i have a recommendation “A discovery of witches” by Deborah Harkness its so good and i haven’t even finished reading it yet!

Seriously Sassy Mama April 13, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Why didn’t I read this before I recycled all my boxes?

Rachel April 15, 2012 at 3:08 pm

I wish I’d thought of this a year ago when I was working at an ad agency where we got free magazines! I had so many good ones, but tossed (recycled) them in a massive cleaning binge. They could have stayed if they were pretty and organized like this!

Alicia April 16, 2012 at 12:45 am

Love that wallpaper! I’d love to see how you used it in your house, even a peek ;)
I made my own mag holders with cardboard and masking tape YEARS ago with the intent of painting/decoupaging on them. Recently, when deciding whether to switch over to some pretty ones I got at the $1 section of Target, or to keep my unfinished future to do projects, I chose the latter! They’ve been indestructible for so long, stand up great on their own, and are one of a kind.

Mod Podge Amy April 16, 2012 at 3:00 am

Very fun paper! Love this cute little idea.

Greta April 16, 2012 at 1:56 pm
hampton April 16, 2012 at 5:05 pm

i’ve done a version of this before and i glued a layer of pennies on the bottom to give it a little bit of extra weight to help them stay upright.

HELLO HAPPY DAY April 17, 2012 at 7:17 pm

I think it’s better to use a soap box or a sturdier cardboard so it can hold up the magazines better.

Hannah April 18, 2012 at 1:04 am

Oh what a gorgeous idea! I am in the process of redecorating my office and I think this idea is definitely on my to-do list :)

dee April 24, 2012 at 3:30 pm

That is brilliant!!

Roseanne April 25, 2012 at 10:59 am

wow.this is amazing!thankyou for sharing!x

Corinne April 26, 2012 at 11:49 pm

LOVE this idea! Such an obvious one, too! Thanks for sharing!

Stephanie May 8, 2012 at 7:05 pm

I love this! Thanks for the inspiration :)