Amaranth Flatbread

by Emma on April 4, 2012

in Bread,Snacks,Vegan

This is, without question, the best flat bread I have ever eaten. It’s so simple but the addition of amaranth flour and a few seasonings splashed on before cooking just makes this bread ah-maz-ing. I ate some plain. I ate some with humus. I plan to use some to make into a pizza…. my life is awesome this week.

I am continuing my plunge into cooking with different flours-the adventure continues. I learned this week that amaranth flour is gluten-free, has a lovely nutty taste and is pretty darn healthy. It can be substituted for about 25% of the flour in most recipes (says the internet… so we’ll see).  And guess what, if you add yeast to it, it will rise.

If you build it they will come.

That movie was so weird. I mean, I like it… but can you imagine pitching that idea to someone? “Ok, so it’s a movie about a guy who builds a baseball field in his backyard. Like a really good baseball field. And then these ghost baseball players come and play there. It’s a film about faith, baseball and ghosts.”

Seriously, what a weird idea. Kevin Costner, what a handsome guy.

I digress….

Amaranth Flatbread, makes around 8 10-inch pieces, recipe adapted from Good to the Grain.*

Needed: 1 1/2 cups warm water, 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast, 1 tablespoon honey or sugar, 1/2 cup amaranth flour, 3 cups all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon salt, olive oil for brushing the tops of the breads and a seasoning mix to sprinkle on (I used a pinch of: cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt and caraway seeds).

In a bowl combine the water, yeast and honey (or sugar) let that mingle and bubble for 5 minutes. Combine the flours and salt, pour in the water mixture and knead for 5 minutes on a floured surface. Form the dough into a ball, lay in an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let this rise for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. My kitchen was quite hot the day I made this so my rise time was around 1 1/2 hours.

Punch the dough down (get violent with it. if you want. then apologize) form in a ball again, put it back in the bowl, cover and let it rise for another hour to 1 1/2 hours. Again, I only let it rise for an hour as my kitchen was quite warm.

Divide dough into 8 pieces. Use your hands to roll them out flat, as if you were stretching out pizza dough. Brush a little oil on each side, season with your spice mix and cook in a medium hot cast iron skillet for 6-8 minutes, flipping once in the middle.

These are best served right after you cook them, but if you warm them up in the microwave the day after they are not too shabby either. :) xo. Emma

*I’ve been sharing a number of recipes from Good to the Grain, as I’ve found it to be an excellent place to start when baking with new-to-me flours. I usually slightly adapt recipes, based on what I have on hand. But I highly recommend this cook book for anyone curious about baking with different grains. Kim Boyce you amaze me.

Sarah April 4, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Ive been wanting to play with different flours too. I was going to start with pancakes and go from there. This bread is awesome due to it’s “mileage” with meals you get out of it. Very cool!

- Sarah
A Girl In Transit

Amy April 4, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Yum! This looks so good. I’ll need to get some different flour. A lot of my friends are gluten intolerant, so it’s great to learn how to cook to accommodate them.

xoxo,
mon amy

Mama Smith @projectlittlesmith April 4, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Wow those look perfect! I also need to start playing with different flours; my and my all-pupose and whole wheat are way too comfortable :)

Dee April 4, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Oh these look amazing. I love flat breads, I can not wait to try this thank you
Http://www.lovelypinkdiva.com

Jill April 4, 2012 at 5:34 pm

You’re the person I’ve seen mention amarath flour recently. Aran on Vanille et Canelle just made amazing looking chocolate chip cookies with it: http://www.cannellevanille.com/2012/03/when-muscovado-sugar-and-fleur-de-sel.html
Because of the two of you, I really want to try baking with it now.

Emma April 4, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Thanks for sharing! I might just have to try our her cookies some night. :)

Allison April 4, 2012 at 6:00 pm

That look incredibly delicious Emma! I’m not familiar with Amaranth flour but it sounds amazing. My flour adventures have only involved soy, quinoa, and coconut. There are so many left to try! Thanks for sharing!
xx

Zoe April 4, 2012 at 7:19 pm

I just love flat bread and have made them before, I love the sound of the flour you used I haven’t heard of it but shall now be on the look out.

Zoe

Margherita April 4, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Never had amarant bread in my life…I’m really curious to try it!

Holly April 4, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Hi, Emma! I love your blog and your sense of humor. I’m a long-time reader, first time poster. This bread looks awesome! I like to experiment with different flours, too, and I love making flatbreads. I make a lot of Indian food, and that’s opened up a few doors. For instance, making naan is kind of a no-brainer, but I’ve also made different kinds of rotis and parathas. I haven’t tried your naan recipe, but I plan to. I also have to try this one!

Rachel April 5, 2012 at 3:56 am

I haven’t had carbs in so long. This sounds so good.

Vintagehoneybee.blogspot.com

Jillian@TheHumbleGourmet April 5, 2012 at 4:09 pm

I love amaranth…I get the seeds and toast them on the stovetop, them eat them with warm milk and cinnamon, like oatmeal. Completely delicious!

Sarah Rooftops April 5, 2012 at 6:20 pm

I hear that quote and think of Wayne’s World 2. I must be just the wrong age!

Beth April 5, 2012 at 7:29 pm

whoa I just watched that movie last night weird

The life after April 5, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Looks delicious!!

The Life After

Meghan April 7, 2012 at 4:06 am

Flatbread is in our future. I love this flowers “flour” project that is happening right now. And I love Good to the Grain! I can’t wait to see what you decide to bake next.

Stranger than Fiction is one of my favorite movies. I like to imagine that I look Maggie Gyllenhaal in real life – but that would require a lot more workouts and less cookie consuming. At least I’m a baker! Maybe I’ll dedicate a few posts to re-creating some of her recipes from the movie.