Southwestern Egg Rolls

by Emma on March 7, 2012

in Side Dishes,Snacks,Vegan

Confession: My sister and I love California Pizza Kitchen. Judge if you must, but I’m just saying… when we go on a  little weekend trip to shop in a bigger city we usually eat at a California Pizza Kitchen. If at all possible. It’s just… a thing.

One thing I love is their southwestern egg rolls. I love how they have avocado in them-yum! The only thing I would change is I wish they were vegetarian-so, of course, I decided to try to make my own.

I don’t want to toot my own horn too much-because that’s not very becoming. But. I have to say… I really did it this time. These were so good. So good. They could easily be a fun meal, not just an appetizer. I ate, like, four. So I’m pretty sure that’s a meal.

Ok, it was four and half.

I will definitely be making these again-next time I might try to make some kind of spicy ranch sauce to go with them. So if you have any good sauce recipe suggestions for these send them my way. Please.

Southwestern Egg Rolls, makes around a dozen.

Needed: egg roll wrappers, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/2 yellow onion, 1 can black beans, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, salt+pepper to taste, 1-2 ripe avocados and oil for frying (I used vegetable oil).

In a small pot sauté the finely chopped onion in oil until it begins to soften. Add in the drained beans, spices, salt and pepper and cook until hot. Taste and see if you want to add more spices or salt. Turn off the heat and stir in the cilantro.

Fill your egg roll wrappers with the bean filling plus 2 small slices of avocado. I wrapped mine in the traditional egg roll style, using the directions on the package. You do as you will. :) As you are wrapping these heat 2 inches of oil in a large pot or dutch oven until it’s around 350 F. I used a cooking thermometer to check the temperature of my oil, but you don’t have to. Just adjust your oil as you cook so you don’t burn them. Fry a few at a time for 2 minutes, flip and continue to cook for another minute or two. Remove them to a plate lined with paper towels. Serve hot.

Chanda March 7, 2012 at 7:06 pm

I’ve only had the pizza at California Pizza Kitchen – once. While I can’t share your enthusiasm for that particular place, I get it. My boyfriend and I like to go to Shoney’s late night and get coffee and dessert and sneak in those itty bitty liquor bottles (it’s reminiscent of a simpler time :) Those egg rolls do look quite amazing, btw.

Kristin March 7, 2012 at 7:22 pm

YUM! These look really good!
Ok, so we *just* discovered the club egg rolls the other night at CPK and they are so delicious too! I want to try making them myself. I might need to reference this recipe as a guide to re-create the club egg rolls in my home! :)

Sophie March 7, 2012 at 7:27 pm

this looks ridiculously good! i think i am going to make them unfried because my boyfriend is on a diet. do you think that would work out okay? thank you!

Mariana March 7, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Sounds and looks delicious! Yum!!

Liliana March 7, 2012 at 7:41 pm

I love California Pizza Kitchen too i must admit and i love their Southwestern Egg Rolls, i would definitely love to try these! :) Thanks for hooking them up!

call me debbie March 7, 2012 at 8:04 pm

They seem really tasty. Like REALLY tasty!
I don’t know why i read your posts, when i am hungry, Emma! I really don’t know what’s going on my mind! :D

(New blog needing some love: http://inwhirlofinspiration.blogspot.com)

candace March 7, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Woah. These look like a dream come true!
I’ve been making various (vegan) dips lately by blending up silken tofu with lime juice and various spices…I think one like this would be awesome with these egg rolls:

Maybe just adjust the spices a bit to be more “southwesterny” and add in a jalapeño or poblano perhaps? Mmmm.

Katrina March 7, 2012 at 9:25 pm

Okay, I’m obsessed. I have to make these for my mom when I come home for break!!! She’s veg, and she loves avocado. These kind of remind me of the avocado eggrolls from Cheesecake factory. Except more southwesterny. Awesome!

xoxo -http://cachecloset.blogspot.com/

Jean March 7, 2012 at 9:42 pm

yum! i love trying to make new kinds of egg rolls than the traditional ones (silaphan noodles, carrots, pork, cabbage, cilantro, grn onions). these look good! love avocados too!

Mariana March 7, 2012 at 10:19 pm

These look so yummy! I love avocado in just about anything.

Mama Smith @projectlittlesmith March 7, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Oh my do these look good! Why did I read this when I’m so hungry? :)

Marie March 7, 2012 at 11:34 pm

Reading your blog is not healthy – just looking at the pictures makes me wanna eat, although i’m not hungry. But ALL the food on your blog looks just sooo delicious.
How do you manage to be super skinny although you’re surrounded by yummy food??

Rae Veda March 7, 2012 at 11:39 pm

That avocado looks so good. And I’m starving! xo, rv

Amanda March 8, 2012 at 1:45 am

MMmm.. looks delish!

Check out my blog!

Xoxo,

Amanda

lily darger March 8, 2012 at 2:11 am

Oh, I have to try this one. We are vegetarian for Lent so thanks super much. I’m needing inspiration to get me through these next few weeks! I love eating veg, but it’s sometimes a challenge to find recipes to try that the kids would like…

Lesli March 8, 2012 at 3:43 am

My standby dip for pretty much everything these days is simple: equal parts mayo and yogurt, LOTS of chopped up pickled jalepenos + some of the juice, and the juice of 1/2 a lime or so. You can also swap out the jalepeno with whizzed up chipotles in adobo depending on what’s in your fridge. Would be yummy with the spring rolls!

Allison March 8, 2012 at 5:20 am

Emma those look SO good!. I absolutely love avocado! I will definitely try making these. Thanks for sharing!
xx

Margherita March 8, 2012 at 7:19 am

Great recipe. I also like the way you presented them on the plate!

Bettina March 8, 2012 at 8:00 am

Yummy!! I totally get you about the CPK, my sister and I are the same way. We can never get enough spinach artichoke dip or BBQ Chicken Pizza. Yes, there are plenty of delicious and sophisticated restaurants out there, but there’s something about CPK!

Free Coupons March 8, 2012 at 9:39 am

It’s looking delicious and loved Egg Rolls. I would like to make this at home on my coming weekend. Thanks for sharing such tasty & homemade recipes.

Seriously Sassy Mama March 8, 2012 at 3:34 pm

My husband would love these.

Elle Nelle March 8, 2012 at 3:54 pm

This makes me so, so happy. Southwestern egg rolls were my favorite food before I stopped eating meat and a ton of other stuff based on food allergies and general sickness. I never thought to make my own though, for some reason. I am completely inspired now! Mmm…

Vivi K March 8, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Wow. These seriously look like heaven. Could you wrap some up and send them to Canada? Pretty please? Definetly making these! :)

Kelsey March 12, 2012 at 12:46 am

These look amazing! I think they would go well with this Chipotle Ranch dressing: http://pinchmysalt.com/chipotle-ranch-dressing-recipe/

Chris March 12, 2012 at 9:28 pm

I can see nothing wrong with liking California Pizza Kitchen. I’ve only eaten there a couple of times – after the mall – but everything I’ve eaten there has been really good. It’s a nice compromise, my pre-teen & teen like pizza, but I get to sit down, slow down and enjoy a bit nicer dining than the food court.

These look great!

Jenny J. Talam March 20, 2012 at 5:38 am

CPK (as we usually call it in Manila) is one of those restaurants that will always leave you satisfied and happy (not unless your date ‘set you up’ on a “date” to break up with you :D ). Anyway, I shall attempt this recipe one of these days! I am currently on summer vacation so I would have lots of time to shop and cook.

Great blog, by the way! ;)

Antonia Krajicek March 29, 2012 at 5:40 am

I tried these tonight and they were delightful! This was one of the biggest vegetarian hits so far with my boyfriend since I gave up meat two months ago. I added a bit of cheese to the mixture – because it seems I have a slight addiction to cheese and also added a bit of smoked paprika. I made a southwestern ranch dip/sauce using light sour cream, ranch seasoning, Penzey’s salsa seasoning and La Victoria hot taco sauce, which was the perfect compliment to the rolls. Thank you for the recipe :)

Joanne March 31, 2012 at 3:44 am

I’ve only ever gotten pizza at CPK. And it’s freakin good. I should try these guys!