Pesto and Baked Egg Pizza

by Emma on March 1, 2012

in Breakfast

I think I have a new food obsession coming on… Naan bread. It’s an Indian flat bread, and it’s awesome as a pizza or to dip in humus. Which are two of my favorite things! I’m putting it on my list to learn to make my own Naan, so if you know any good recipes for it let me know.

My favorite easy week night meal (other than brussels sprouts!) is pizza. This past week I’ve been making pizzas with pesto and various toppings: like provolone and sour apples and this one that has eggs and chives. Yum!

If you’ve never made a baked egg pizza before you should totally give it a try this weekend. It’s a delicious addition to any morning cup of coffee. I used Naan, a spoonful of pesto (mine was store-bought but you could certainly make your own), two eggs, a few chopped chives and salt + pepper. Oil your pan or lay parchment paper under your pizza and bake for 10-15 minutes (depending on how done you like your eggs) at 350 F and ta-da: breakfast pizza.

Confession: I’m SUPER excited for March. Lots of projects on my list and a major change happening a week from today, that I’m super excited/nervous about. How about you-is your March looking fantastic yet?

JIN @ LOVE LOSS AND LACQUER March 1, 2012 at 4:07 pm

That looks insanely delicious

Shermika March 1, 2012 at 4:08 pm

I’m a huge fan of Naan bread…I normally buy the garlic kind which is oh so good. I’m not a big fan of eggs, but this pizza looks good. I think I’d try it with basil, onions and pepperoni. I love chives though.

Clare March 1, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Great idea! I love naan bread but never thought of using it as a pizza base. Looks delicious!

Lyznore March 1, 2012 at 5:37 pm

I’ve been doing this a lot lately, naan bread is the perfect pizza base! I usually make this with spinach and goat cheese. Tastes amazing <3

Mere March 1, 2012 at 5:45 pm

This looks so good. I love eggs on pizza, and this is a fresh take on what we do at our house. Will be trying this soon.

Kayla March 1, 2012 at 5:51 pm

This looks delicious, and I love love love pesto! Yum! I will definitely be trying this one out for sure!!

xo
Kayla

Jennifer March 1, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Holy moly. I could eat this every morning!

I’m looking forward to March, too :) I think it is going to be full of wonderful things.

Christina Shumway March 1, 2012 at 5:59 pm

I have never heard of naan bread. Definitely, going to try it. This looks delicious!!

Cristina March 1, 2012 at 6:19 pm

My bf and I have been perfecting a pizza dough recipe and breakfast pizza is next on the list! I loved your picture so much that I had to Pin it for inspiration. Looks great.

Allison March 1, 2012 at 7:05 pm

That looks delicious! I don’t have a recipe but I have seen it made on a Food Network program. To replicate the tandoor, you can use a pizza stone or two (to make a v-shape) in a very hot oven.
xx

Danielle March 1, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Yummmmmmmmmmmyyyyyyyy! Naan bread is a staple for us… the kids love it… we love it! So much so that we have a stash in the freezer for emergency cravings! lol. Your idea of using it as a base for baked egg pizza is something we will for sure try (or DH will make I should say as he is the chef of the house). Naan is also amazing when you do a pizza topping on it then warm up on the the BBQ… tummy rumbles.

teddi March 1, 2012 at 7:17 pm

wha what? where do i find this naan of which you speak? did you share this with us, & i missed it? all your food combos sound yummy delish.

Emily March 1, 2012 at 7:19 pm

Hi Emma!
Your recipes look so good. I use to be able to follow along, but I was recently diagnosed with celiac disease so I have been afraid of food. Have you ever baked with gluten free flours? I have tried to research different types but never know what kind or how well it will turn out. I figured who better to turn to than to someone who likes to bake and cook! If you ever want to try it out I would SOO appreciate it. :) Thanks

Mama Smith @projectlittlesmith March 1, 2012 at 8:02 pm

That is such a great idea and I never would have thought of it myself although I love both eggs and pizza. Now you’ve got me wondering what the big change is!

rae March 1, 2012 at 8:06 pm

oh my lord! i love naan, AND eggs, AND pizza! I can’t wait to try this!

pdxkate March 1, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Yum. I love Naan too. I am excited to hear about this big change… hmhmhmhmmmm :) :)

Lexie March 1, 2012 at 8:43 pm

I used to go every Saturday morning to an Indian buffet just to eat Naan and drink Mimosas. But then I moved, and there aren’t any Indian joints around here that even compare to the one that made every Saturday morning a heavenly experience. But then I found this wonderful recipe from Budget Bytes that is so easy and cheap to make. I have tried many adaptations of this recipe and I’m so excited to see what else you can come up with. From one foodie to another… http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/2010/09/naan-127-recipe-016-serving.html

Chelsey March 1, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Mmm.. I love naan! My fiancé and I made this recipe a little while ago and it tasted just like the ones we get at the restaurant. And this one is vegan to boot :)

Stefanie Grace March 1, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Oh my gosh! I love naan but I have never thought of using it as a pizza… Amazing! It’s now on my todo list!

Tammy March 1, 2012 at 10:28 pm

Emma this looks amazing! I love how do-able your yummy meals and treats are. You make it sound so simple to make delicious food :)

Mariana March 1, 2012 at 11:11 pm

It looks simple and yum-yum. :)

p.s. – March is a fantastic month!

Vanessa March 1, 2012 at 11:17 pm

emma this looks delicious! i live in a dorm right now with minimal cooking supplies but i could totally make this! :]

Dayna March 1, 2012 at 11:38 pm

This is my favourite naan bread – it is really easy and fast. http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/2010/09/naan-127-recipe-016-serving.html

Ashlae | oh, ladycakes March 2, 2012 at 1:39 am

I love naan. If my boyfriend would let me, I’d eat it for every meal. Every day.

Yay for new projects! Cannot wait to see/hear about them.

Maria Elena March 2, 2012 at 2:08 am

Oh wow I LOVE naan and I never thought of having it with egg as a pizza…. will definitely be making this soon.
Anything on the Rocks

Vivi K March 2, 2012 at 2:32 am

I saw this in a magazine the other day and was so tempted to make it, but lost the magazine! So typical… :) Thanks so much for sharing this delectable recipe!

Much love, Vivi

jessi March 2, 2012 at 3:09 am

I am on a huge Indian kick right now and just stocked my freezer with the Naan that was on sale at our grocery store. From what I have heard that without a tandoor ovenit’s hard to make – so have never bothered trying

Suzanne Perazzini March 2, 2012 at 3:47 am

Breakfast pizza? How inventive! A little bacon on it would make it perfect.

Monika March 2, 2012 at 4:18 am

That looks delish! I’ve been wanting to make a breakfast pizza lately, and this one has my name written all over it! :) Thanks for this post!
Much Aloha, Monika *:)

Kellie March 2, 2012 at 4:20 am

this looks amazing!
ps- i had to nominate you for “recipe homie” on apartment therapy. your creations are seriously amazing!

Janel March 2, 2012 at 5:43 am

I liked your blog, now I love your blog. Genius idea!

grace March 2, 2012 at 6:15 am

oooo yum. I saw this idea on food network and have been dying to try it!

grace

Margherita March 2, 2012 at 8:35 am

This recipe is really depicts why food coma is worth!

The life after March 2, 2012 at 9:53 am

In Italy nobody would eat such a pizza.. it is so nice to see how different cultures are in terms of food too!

The Life After

sal March 2, 2012 at 12:02 pm

i work at an indian restaurant during the weekends and we usually get fed quite well. So I have had my share of different types of Naan. Don’t think I’d ever get sick of it! Never tried Naan pizza before though! Looks and sounds delish. Probably gonna have it for lunch now. Thanks!

Jen @ pretty plate March 2, 2012 at 1:02 pm

This looks so good. I love anything with pesto and the crust looks so crunchy and delicious. I’ll have to try this one soon! Have a great weekend.

: ))
Jen

Julia March 2, 2012 at 2:57 pm

I made this for dinner last night with some chicken and I addeda little bit of cheese…. Soo yummy!!!
Thanks for the great idea!!

call me debbie March 2, 2012 at 4:02 pm

OH MI OH MY YOU ARE THE APPLE OF MY EYES!!!! :D Love it!

(New blog needing some love: http://inwhirlofinspiration.blogspot.com)

Elcin March 2, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Yummy! :)

caroline | surprised by joy March 2, 2012 at 4:23 pm

I just tried this recipe for the first time two nights ago and it made incredible naan! I bet it would make splendid pizza; I just covered it in chana masala and gobbled it up.

hannahalehandra March 2, 2012 at 6:48 pm

I love pesto! Great recipe, thank you.

Elena March 2, 2012 at 7:25 pm

If you love naan, you should try the coconut flavored ones!I immediately fell in love when i first tried them in India.
I have no recipe at hand, but they are awesome as a side dish with spicy curries or as a snack with just a good cup of tea!
Love your blog by the way, it got me back in the kitchen and i am now probably becoming a baking enthusiast!

jooleedoh March 2, 2012 at 10:10 pm

emmaaaaa, girlfrannnnn… this one is blowing my mind. naan, pesto, sunny-side up eggs? so much of my favs all in one! adding it to THE LIST.

Jessica March 3, 2012 at 12:51 am

This is such a good idea: naan bread pizza base! I usually make my own pizza bases because the ready made ones in Japan taste of nothing :) but if I get some naan bread, that will save a lot of time!
Thanks
xoxo.

eat my shorts March 3, 2012 at 3:02 am

Love naan – that pizza looks very yum!

Megan March 3, 2012 at 3:34 am

The first time I ever ate at an Indian restaurant I don’t think I made it past the garlic naan bread. It was the best bread I had ever had! This pizza has my mouth watering, I wish I could make it right this very second!

Céleste March 3, 2012 at 1:16 pm

I’m so intrigued as to the big chance. :-D

Oh, and you’ve probably heard this, but you really should make your own pesto sometime although it will ruin you for store-bought pesto forever. It is SO MUCH BETTER, and you can freeze a whole batch in ice cube trays to reheat for individual servings later. It tastes just as fresh from frozen amazingly and much fresher than from a jar.

Chris March 3, 2012 at 7:27 pm

I love Naan! I’ve never tried to make my own, but I would love to some time. Anyway, I agree that it makes a great pizza crust – also Greek Peda works well as a pizza crust too!

Emily March 3, 2012 at 9:33 pm

I was intrigued, cooked this, and was very impressed.
Thanks for the idea!

california March 4, 2012 at 2:26 am

long-time reader, first time commenter. this was delicious! but i had to make some adjustments because my oven is broken. and i didn’t have pesto. so i used naan, tomato sauce, mozzarella, and cracked 2 eggs on top for breakfast pizza. then i broiled it for about 10 minutes. thanks for the inspiration!

LJ March 4, 2012 at 9:29 pm

looks yummy!

Mia March 5, 2012 at 7:15 am

This is Fantastic! I tried it during the week and it was an awesome way to make a normal pizza a bit different for a change. We made a normal base, spread it and topped it like normal and then cracked an egg onto it. It worked great!

Susie Rodriguez March 8, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Hi there I am so delighted I found your blog, I really found you by error, while I was researching on Digg for something else, Nonetheless I am here now and would just like to say thank you for a marvelous post and a all round enjoyable blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to go through it all at the moment but I have bookmarked it and also added your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a lot more, Please do keep up the excellent work.
forex trading

Gastrospoon March 17, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Great looking dish and so simple! Does it work as well with other types of pesto, like red pepper?