Making Naan

by Emma on March 13, 2012

in Bread

So, do you remember how I said I wanted to try to make my own naan?  Guess what….

Now I’d like to tell you that I have a 100 good uses for naan. That I know all sorts of delicious sauce and/or traditional Indian recipes I serve alongside naan. But, in truth… I mostly just make pizza out of them.

Pizza naan is awesome. It’s like pita pizza… but, like, a little better.

The secret’s out.

And this naan was really fun (and easy) to make. It was even easier than homemade tortillas. Less rolling-pin action. :)

Naan, makes 8-10 servings. Recipe slightly adapted from here.

Needed: 3 3/4 cups flour, 1/4 cup whole wheat flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt and 2 cups greek yogurt.

In a bowl combine the flours, baking powder and salt. Whisk to combine. Stir in the yogurt until crumbly. Lightly flour your work surface and plop the crumbly dough on to it. Use your (clean) hands to knead the dough until it is more elastic and cohesive. Cover and allow to rest for 30 minutes to an hour.

Divide the dough into 8 to 10 pieces (depending how big you like your naan) and roll out until it’s about 1/4 inch thick. Heat a cast iron or non stick skillet over medium high heat, lay the naan in the pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes, flip and cook another 2-3 minutes. Once you’ve cooked all the pieces lay them on a baking sheet and bake at 400 F for 8-10 minutes to finish cooking them through.

call me debbie March 13, 2012 at 11:26 pm

Ok seriously now i have never heard of it (i feel so ashamed :D ), but you convinced me i will try it out!

(New blog needing some love: http://inwhirlofinspiration.blogspot.com)

Elle @ Chellbellz March 13, 2012 at 11:30 pm

I love Naan, i love making pizzas out of it with my family! I have a feeling this taste so much better then what i get at Harris Teeter since it has way more crap it in than this recipe! I’m going to try this! It looks really yummy!!

olive March 13, 2012 at 11:49 pm

mmm. yum! I love naan!

Rae Veda March 14, 2012 at 12:38 am

Those sound so yummy! I may have to give them try. xo, rv

Stefanie March 14, 2012 at 12:42 am

I’ve learnt a lot from this. A) that naan is not as complicated as it looks and B) you make naan with yoghurt! Wow. Love your blog.

Kristen March 14, 2012 at 12:47 am

I have never head of this bread either but it looks pretty healthy. Wonder if you could up the whole wheat flour a bit.

emily March 14, 2012 at 1:03 am

oh thank you for the recipe!! I was just saying last night that I want to make naan but forgot the recipe. Yummm!

Brooke Guevara March 14, 2012 at 1:47 am

This looks awesome! Just today I made and blogged about the Thai tofu pizza I made for dinner using naan. Next time I will definitely be using your recipe rather than buying it from Trader Joe’; thank you (:

Logan March 14, 2012 at 2:05 am

I just made the tortillas today and dang were they amazing! I actually have a bit if a gut-ache from eating about 6 of them today;) they were so easy and if you say these are easier…I’m on board! I love naan but is always so overpriced at the store! Can’t wait!!!!

Gretchen Mummert March 14, 2012 at 2:06 am

oh my gosh I LOVE naan. THANKS

teddi March 14, 2012 at 2:36 am

made with greek yogurt? easier than tortillas? pizza, pizza? i’m dying, in a totally good way.

Gina_AcuteDesigns March 14, 2012 at 2:45 am

Love this! I buy the frozen naan at Trader Joes and it’s amazing, but this looks so so easy. Thanks Emma!

Magar@thefullwoman.com March 14, 2012 at 3:12 am

Naan is sooo addictive! Every time I buy it I intend to make naan pizza but I end up munching on a little piece here and a little piece there until it’s disappeared. Maybe if I used your recipe and learned to make it it would hang around long enough to get under some pizza toppings

Dee March 14, 2012 at 4:02 am

whoo I loveee Butter, cheese and garlic naans…hell i love all naans! Luckily, living in Sri Lanka means you get the authentic type, made in earthenware…it looks a little different to what you’ve put up though I’m sure what you made was delicious too! :) :D <3

Margherita March 14, 2012 at 4:45 am

I love naans!!!!! Can’t wait to make those

Bettina March 14, 2012 at 8:40 am

Homemade naan!!! I can’t wait to try this with a little bit of garlic infused into the mix!

Clare March 14, 2012 at 10:56 am

Looks delicious! And sounds easy enough to make – will have to try this – I love Naan! Thanks!

simplemittens March 14, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Alas! I have made naan a few times but I save it for special occasions because it is so involved. I’ll have to give this recipe a go. Thanks!

Hanneke @ Oh beautiful world March 14, 2012 at 3:57 pm

on my to-bake-list! :D

Amy March 14, 2012 at 7:09 pm

How funny! I was just telling my housemates how I planned to make a huge curry tomorrow night as a treat for handing in my essay. Looks like I’ll be having fresh naan to go with it now :) Love that it uses wholewheat flour too!

Sofia Clara March 14, 2012 at 8:15 pm

I LOVE Naan but never thought of making it myself. I just assumed it was going to be really tricky. I will definitely give this a go! Thanks, Emma.

Natalie March 14, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Love, live, love naan bread! For me it’s the best bit about having a curry : )

Danielle March 14, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Thanks Emma… this will be a must try at our place (the kids eat too much of it not to try and do it ourselves).

grace March 14, 2012 at 11:14 pm

I’ve never had naan but I really, really need to try! I see it all the time!

grace

Chris March 15, 2012 at 3:47 am

Excellent! So glad you tried it out and are sharing it with us now. Thanks!

Sara-Kate March 15, 2012 at 5:45 pm

I just had my first Naan attempt last week as well; Isn’t it amazing how simple it is?! I’m glad it was one of your 52 breads, because it’s a great one to know! :)

Corrie Anne March 16, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Can’t wait to get home from work and try this!!!!!!

txiqui March 16, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Mmmm tengo que hacer esta receta!! Que apetecible!!

Ben, Stonefire Flatbreads March 16, 2012 at 11:35 pm

Naan pizza IS awesome. We love it. We have some great recipes on our site too. Great work on making your naan!

Ben, Stonefire Flatbreads

Kacie @ A Collection of Passions March 17, 2012 at 4:33 pm

I love making naan. It has so much flavor.

Kacie

Holly March 17, 2012 at 8:08 pm

I’m excited to try this recipe! Do you think for a vegan version I could substitute soy or amande yogurt for the greek yogurt? Or maybe tofu?

Willow March 18, 2012 at 8:57 am

Oh my goodness, I am so excited about getting this recipe I’m re-blogging it. I love naan bread because it contains no yeast and it is the perfect accompaniment for stir-fry, soup, basically anything that needs a bit of bread on the side. Serve it hot with butter and it melts in your mouth. Only one shop in our town sells naan and I have wanted to know how to make it for the longest time. Thank you, and thank you again.

Willow

Rachel March 20, 2012 at 8:19 pm

I love every kind of bread. I will have to try this.

Vintagehoneybee.blogspot.com

Sarah April 3, 2012 at 5:07 pm

Yum!!!!!!! I am going to make this today :)
heytherecalifornia.wordpress.com