Coconut Quinoa Brownies

by Emma on March 29, 2012

in Dessert

Can we chat about the perils of multi-tasking for just  sec? I do this thing where I try to get a bunch of little things done while something bakes. It’s a little game I play, you could say. It’s like when you were a kid and your piano teacher would set the timer for you to practice and you’d try to finish all the songs before the timer would go off…

Side note: I think I may have been a very obnoxious piano student.

Side note 2.0: I can’t play anything on the piano these days. So I was a least a very poor student. Oh my.

Anyway, last night I made quinoa brownies (the obsession continues!) and as they were baking I had grand plans to do the dishes, pick up my room and paint my nails while reading Entertainment Weekly (stop judging-I can feel it!). I, thinking I was so clever, planned to paint my nails last so I wouldn’t smear them in the process of doing other things.

Also, these are pretty short baking brownies. Some brownies take 45 minutes to an hour to bake. These take 30 minutes (or slightly less depending on your oven). So I had to be quick… done, done and done. Then comes taking the brownies out of the oven and I realize I have to put on my oven mitts… dang. I seriously stared at the oven mitts for probably a whole minute thinking; “I wonder if I could just, like, not use the oven mitts.” Because I didn’t want to mess up my nails.

Sigh.

Of course, I used the mitts. I only smeared one nail. The brownies turned out amazing so that totally made up for it anyway.

Coconut Quinoa Brownies, makes one 9×13 pan

Needed: 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup quinoa flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 cup butter, 8 ounces chopped dark chocolate, 2 1/4 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 5 eggs and 2/3 cup coconut flakes (I used the sweetened kind, you do as you please).

In a large bowl combine the flours, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

In a pot melt the butter and chocolate together over low heat, stirring as you go. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and sugar. Pour the chocolate sugar mixture into the flour mixture. Add the eggs one at a time, stirring in between to incorporate them.

Pour batter into a prepared baking dish, I lined mine with parchment paper but non-stick spray or butter and flour works great too. Sprinkle on the coconut and bake at 350F for 26-30 minutes. These will be slightly uncooked in the center, but that makes them even better the next day after being refrigerated overnight.

Enjoy! xo. Emma

Katrina March 29, 2012 at 2:30 pm

WHY, Emma, why. You and your baked goods make me hungry. GAH.
xoxo – http://cachecloset.blogspot.com/

Mama Smith @projectlittlesmith March 29, 2012 at 3:53 pm

I am making my own brownies right at this very minute (although just basic and not as exciting as your’s). I’m glad because otherwise these pictures would be a cruel brownie taunting!

Zoe March 29, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Wow and i though the brownies looked good. that looks and sound soooo good.

Zoe

Allison March 29, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Wow! Those look AMAZING. I can pretty much get down with anything that has coconut in it. I’m really enjoying all of your quinoa recipes. Thanks for sharing :)
xx

tracy shutterbean March 29, 2012 at 5:55 pm

and whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhy do I always get the bug to paint my nails so close to bed time that I wake up with sheet marks all over my nails. I’ll never learn….NEVER.

Emma March 29, 2012 at 6:03 pm

yep. i get the bed sheet nails a lot too. it’s a bummer. :)

Sarah Rooftops March 29, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Ha ha! I do this, too! Although mostly I spend the time washing all the dirty dishes that baking creates!

Courtney March 29, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Yeah I totally do the multi-tasking while baking thing, too. I’m usually trying to wash all of the dishes I have gotten dirty while simultaneously trying to 50 other things. Oh, and I had the same dilemma the other night with painted nails and an oven mit. I ended up grabbing a towel to get my pan out without smudging a nail, only to completely destroy them when I forgot and took a shower. Oops.

Valerie @ all mussed up March 29, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Emma, I’m thrilled and frankly relieved to find out that I’m not the only one on a wild, totally-out-of-control quinoa kick…it’s just that there are a billion ways to eat those tasty little buggers! I think I could rhapsodize about quinoa all day long. (:

Wendy March 29, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Thanks for the quinoa inspiration, Emma! My soon-to-be sister-in-law is going grain-free, so she gifted us a bunch of her quinoa that she can no longer eat. Enter your two amazing quinoa recipes, and *poof!* I have a reason to bake! Perfect timing indeed. :)

Marcin March 29, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Looks great. Coconut brownie sounds like a great idea. I am going to try it for sure. Nice recipe.

Vidhya March 29, 2012 at 11:57 pm

I come here day in and day out, just to read your (mis)adventures and thoughts.. you are so funny.. in a good way! :D

karen March 30, 2012 at 5:46 am

so people actually use oven mitts, who knew.

Wendy B March 30, 2012 at 6:31 am

DUDE. Nail Drying Spray. It changed my life.

Emma March 30, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Nail drying what?! How have I never heard of this… must purchase…

Clare March 30, 2012 at 9:31 am

These brownies look amazing! like the idea of using quinoa flour!

Hannah March 30, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Ahoy!
I live in Scotland and have been frantically searching for some quinoa flour, since you started posting about it! I’ve decided throw a small outdoor meal with picnic foods in a jar. Thes brownies look delicious and seem like they could be adapted for that, and with a little icecream on top the world is my delicious oyster. Thanks for making tasty food!

Best,
Hannah

Danielle March 30, 2012 at 4:15 pm

It looks good! And a great picture, that first one!

Meli (Blush + Jelly) March 30, 2012 at 7:34 pm

These brownies look delish! Would have never thought of using quinoa flour!

eat my shorts March 31, 2012 at 8:23 am

They look delicious! :)

Leminh April 1, 2012 at 2:54 am

I always thought I was the only one–i too do the multi tasking game! and always strategize in a way that each task flows into the next making most efficient use of my time…

fashionfoodfight April 1, 2012 at 6:27 am

I love quinoa with a passion but never thought of baking them into a delicious brownie! Great idea. I might try these today because I have a lot of quinoa left, yum! Love your blog :) I you want to, I’d be very honored if you checked out my blog, I’m just starting :) Happy Sunday XO

Magdalena April 6, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Just made this but tweaked the recipe a bit. I added only half a cup of sugar and no coconut because I didn’t have any.:( Poured the batter in a cupcake sheet and voila- brownie quinoa muffins! And I substituted the flour for actual quinoa, so its much grainier. Yum! Greetings from Canada :)