Apple Cinnamon Quinoa

by Emma on March 12, 2012

in Breakfast

Adding this one to the kitchen adventure files: made quinoa. Also, learned how to pronounce it properly. Also, this was actually the first time I’ve ever eaten quinoa.

Whoa-I know. It was a big Sunday morning for me.

So, having never eaten quinoa before I decided to try adding one of my favorite oatmeal toppings. This apple cinnamon topping is great on any breakfast foods (think-pancakes, french toast, etc.) or ice cream for late night snack.

I am happy to report that quinoa is awesome. I am not at all unhappy that I have a whole bag of this to use up. I am so going to make a bunch of savory things next time… I’m thinking some kind of quinoa burger might be happening this week. We’ll see.

Dare to dream.

Apple Cinnamon Quinoa, makes 2 servings.

For the quinoa follow the package directions (especially if you’re a newbie like me). My package said to boil 4 cups of water and cook 2 cups of quinoa for 12 minutes, covered. I did. Totally. Except I replaced two of those cups of water with apple cider instead.

For the apple topping you need: 2 tablespoons butter, 1 sour apple, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup chopped pecans 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon.

In a skillet or sauce pan heat the butter. Once it’s melted add in the chopped apples, sugar, cinnamon and extract. Cook until the apples have softened slightly, then add in the nuts. Serve over the apple quinoa once it’s ready.

rebecca caridad March 12, 2012 at 6:07 pm

this looks so good! I usually eat quinoa savory, I have never tried sweet but I want to now! Thanks Emma!

Rachael March 12, 2012 at 6:24 pm

This sounds yummy, I had heard about quinoa porridge before and thought it must be bland but cooking it with apple juice sounds lovely! I have to say I did get a little confused though as in the UK apple cider means the alcoholic kind, and that’s a whole other type of breakfast!
Rachx

Lauren Helen March 12, 2012 at 6:24 pm

I eat quinoa all the time and I’ve never actually eaten quinoa as a sort of porridge… My favourites are quinoa pancakes and cold quinoa salad (especially Greek, yum!). I will definitely be trying this!

Tammy March 12, 2012 at 6:41 pm

I’ve recently tried quinoa for the first time too and love it. Unfortunately I still don’t know how to pronounce it correctly. I had mine mixed with veggies but I would love to try this vesion!

barbara March 12, 2012 at 6:50 pm

wow, thanks for sharing this recipe! my son is a coeliac, so we have been trying to experiment with naturally glutenfree ingredients. we have tried to make quinoa as savoury food (think risotto for example, but with quinoa instead of rice), but he hasn’t been very impressed (us grown ups enjoyed it though). maybe he will like it as a sweet dish (with non-alcoholic cider…).
xx

Natalie March 12, 2012 at 7:01 pm

I’ve never had quinoa before either…after seeing this maybe I’ll give it a go, I could do with some new breakfast ideas and the topping sounds yummy x

Veronique March 12, 2012 at 7:08 pm
liana March 12, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Yum!! I recently got into quinoa, too. So far have only made savory dishes like adding roasted broccoli, walnuts, chopped kale and dressing with balsamic & olive oil…this can be eaten hot or cold. I’ll use your apple mixture next!

Kate March 12, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Hooray to cooking with quinoa! Post more recipes…I’m getting tired of what I’ve been doing so far with it :(

Vivi K March 12, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Oh yum, this looks amazing! I’ve never tried quinoa mixed with anything sweet, but it looks like I will be now… :)

Sienna Rose March 12, 2012 at 7:39 pm

looks so good. my mom has been obsessed with quinoa lately. Im really excited to share this with her! cooking it with apple cider is such a good idea.

Katrina March 12, 2012 at 8:01 pm

I just tried your southwestern eggroll recipe! It was SOOOOO good. And I did make some spicy ranch to go with it. I was impressed.

xoxo – http://cachecloset.blogspot.com/

call me debbie March 12, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Seems delicious! ;)

debbie March 12, 2012 at 8:08 pm

ooh yum.

elycia March 12, 2012 at 8:25 pm

yes! Quinoa is where it’s at! I love that stuff. I have a really, really great recipe for black bean quinoa burgers that I should email you. So yummy!!

I think I might be a little overly excited about you discovering quinoa. What can I say, I just love it!

Bettina March 12, 2012 at 9:05 pm

I’ve never had sweetened Quinoa, I’m going to have to try this recipe!

kelly March 12, 2012 at 9:15 pm

I LOVE quinoa. so good. perfect breakfast food. Especially good with poached eggs and some wilted spinach, if you’re an egg eater. Also, I really really love to eat it mixed with leftover chili. or, with leftover chili AND poached egg. seriously delicious!

dannelle@nestenterprises March 12, 2012 at 9:58 pm

it is a funky little grain. versitile and sooo yummy!
happiness…
dannelle@nestenterprises

Margherita March 12, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Never thought of using quinoa instead of oatmeal…that’s really smart!

staklene bombone March 12, 2012 at 10:04 pm

looks good, but what on earth is quinoa?:) looks a bit like a mixture of an oatmeal and couscous.
oh, the lousy ignorant that I am… shall google it right away!

Rebecka March 12, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Hi! Quinoa is the best thing that ever happend to my kitchen. It’s so awesome, delicious and versatile. Most of my favourite meals inclute quinoa in some form. I would definitly suggest looking into Heidi’s “little quinoa patties” – super tasty. Adding cooked quinoa to smooth soups is great for texture, it’s the perfect salad grain and goes really well in stews of all sorts.
My own personal favourite comfort food is to simmer about 1/3 c quinoa in 2/3 c water with about 1/2 of a ripe banana thinly sliced, chopped dried fruits, ground flax seeds, pinch of salt, pumpkin seeds and lots of cinnamon. Keep stirring until its thick and a bit like porrige. Serve with blueberries, walnuts and milk of choice…mmmmmm….

Gaby March 12, 2012 at 11:58 pm

if covered in cinnamon and brown sugar, i think i would actually enjoy quinoa for once. please share a quinoa burger, i have been dying to make one!

MERE March 13, 2012 at 12:22 am

Great idea!! So glad I finally know how to say it too! We have been on a huge Quinoa kick at our house lately, and this looks awesome. I have always made more savory meals with it.

Angela March 13, 2012 at 3:03 am

My New Roots did a beautiful video on how to make quinoa. So delicious. It’s on Vimeo here: http://vimeo.com/21870705

Tori March 13, 2012 at 3:42 am

I typically prepare quinoa with sundried tomatoes, pepper flakes, and an oil mixture – delicious! I’ll certainly have to try this sweeter recipe, though. xo

Mariana March 13, 2012 at 3:48 am

Yum, can’t wait to try this!

Emilia March 13, 2012 at 10:07 am

Ooh, this looks delicious! I love quinoa, but I’m pretty much stuck in a permanent rut regarding how to make it (cooked in water, served along side savoury dishes). I’ll have to try this soon; apple cinnamon can make anything taste divine! :)

Lucy March 13, 2012 at 10:44 am

Oooh, I’ve never thought about doing something sweet with quinoa. Looks lovely!

P.S. How DO you pronounce it?!

Kelley March 13, 2012 at 3:48 pm

This looks very tasty! I will have to try it. I love quinoa…my favorite way to make it is with diced green and black olives and green onion. Lots of protein!!

Andrea March 13, 2012 at 4:26 pm

We LOVE quinoa in our house. I discovered it last year when I was trying out a no meat fast (hardest thing EVER)…try this recipe for quinoa burgers (http://livingaeight.blogspot.com/2011/04/meatless-wednesday.html). I promise it will be worth it! Enjoy

Kaytee @ Little Red March 13, 2012 at 5:53 pm

this looks wonderful! quinoa is one of my favorites. i saw a recipe the other day for quinoa with paprika & cumin mixed with walnuts, cherry tomatoes, and olives. YUM!

Liz March 14, 2012 at 4:56 pm

I love love love Quinoa, but I’ve never been able to eat it sweet. Savory all the way for me- try a southwestern Quinoa, it’s soo good.

But um your apple topping looks Amazing, def. going to try that on oatmeal.

lisa March 14, 2012 at 11:04 pm

I love quinoa and I make it a lot, but I’d never thought of having it in a sweeter dish! This sounds so good and like a good alternative to oatmeal. Yum!

Javiera March 21, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Nice idea, many thanks :D
I did this, but with quince, since is the time for this down here en Chile. I cooked the quince with sugar, cinammon, clove and vanilla. And then used the juice in the quinoa cooking water.
Tured out quite delicious!