hair loss conditioner

Adding to my collection

by Emma on March 6, 2012

in Craft

If you have met me in real life or follow me on instagram then you have probably already noted that I have quite the obsession with my pug, Love Love.

And I’m here to tell you-darling, you don’t know the half of it! I am pug obsessed, particularly with my pug but I don’t discriminate. So I decided to make some canvas portraits of my pug from some of my favorite photographs of him. I did one from when he was just a tiny puppy (with a big head!) and one from me and him at my sister’s wedding this past year (my dog walked me down the aisle… and not the other way around). This photo transfer project took a little patience but was a lot of fun and I’m really happy with how the images turned out. I used the A Beautiful Mess tutorial to create these.

I used color copies (laser copies) that I got from my local Kinkos. I will say that the slow process of rubbing off the paper took a little longer than I thought it was going to. For both of these it probably took me close to an hour. Also I have heard a lot of folks asking if you can use Mod Podge instead of gel medium…. and honestly, I’m not sure. I used gel medium (Liquitex) for the transfer process and then sealed the final image with Mod Podge as I wanted a matte finish. If you’ve also tried out this project and used something different feel free to let me know in the comments.

Oh-and in case you were wondering: Yes, I do have a pug portrait collection. It’s in my bathroom and I added these two portraits over the weekend. They were the perfect addition. :)

Thanks for letting me share my crazy pug obsession, and project #11 of my 2012 craft challenge.

Happy crafting! xo. Emma

Allyapples March 6, 2012 at 7:49 am

Great project! You know what? I would love to see a house tour one day too xo

Gabby / En Route Photography March 6, 2012 at 8:36 am

Supercute!!!

Hanneke March 6, 2012 at 9:43 am

Ha ha that is so funny, i have exactly the same obsession with my little english bulldog!
I guess they have kind of the same charm :)

Maïlys March 6, 2012 at 9:49 am

Hello Emma!
It’s funny because I also did that this weekend. Since I saw that tutorial I had wanted to do it so I printed out the picture of 2 women that inspire the house (one who inspires me, and the other, my Mom). I just remembered “gel medium” and was kinda lost when in our French version of Michael’s. I ended up buying Liquitex as well but took it Matte because I also wanted a matte finish and that worked great.
I just have 1 or 2 questions, though.
I started with the portrait my Mom chose and just rubbed off the white part of the paper but tried to rubb ALL the paper off with mine. Is the right method the second? (rubbing it all off).
However, even though I really like the result the image ended out very light (contrary to the original), do you think it could come from the fact it was an inkjet copy and not laser copy?

Your collection is really cute!! :)

Emma March 6, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Hey Mailys,

It may have been the ink jet, I have only tried with laser copies.

I will say though, that mine turned out a little light too, so I spayed on a bit of water, then dabbed it off with a towel and then sealed it with Mod Podge. I had noticed while I was doing the step where you rub off the paper that when it was a little wet the image was brighter. So that’s why I choose to get it just a little wet before sealing it and it did help to brighten my images.

Maïlys March 6, 2012 at 4:35 pm

that’s clever! I will try that next time.
Thank you for your answer!!
Have a great day (it’s pretty begining for you, if I count right ;)

Emilia March 6, 2012 at 9:51 am

Love the montage! When I have a house of my own to decorate, you can bet that pictures of my pets (past and present) will be hanging up all over the place, they’re just so happy :)
The images turned out great by the way, I’m totally itching to do something like that myself….

cheyenne March 6, 2012 at 10:55 am

i can understand why you’re obsessed, that is one cute pug!
xo, cheyenne

MOm March 6, 2012 at 1:37 pm

OMG…he is soooooo BEAUTIFUL!!!!! Pug obsession must run in the family! LOVe you, MOM

Becca March 6, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I absolutely LOVE pugs. I love any dogs with short snouts- pugs, french bulldogs, and of course English bulldogs (I have a precious English Bully). I finally talked my husband into getting a pug as a playmate for our bully, and then we found out we’re having our first baby! I don’t think I want to be potty training an animal and a baby at once, so maybe in a year or so i’ll finally get my pug (I want to name him “Muggle the Puggle”)

Emma March 6, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Becca- OMG-congrats!!!!!

Katrina March 6, 2012 at 2:18 pm

I love how obsessed you are with your baby. It makes me feel a lot less freaky when I ramble about my cats.
xoxo – http://cachecloset.blogspot.com/

paige March 6, 2012 at 2:43 pm

That puppy (big head and all) is too precious!
And I love your collection. Where do you find them all?

San D March 6, 2012 at 5:27 pm

I have this obsession with my chihuahua! And I will have to try this method on my dog’s pics!

Julie March 6, 2012 at 5:30 pm

I love it! You need one of these from etsy to add to it,

Holly March 6, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Woah… I have a cat portrait collage in my bathroom! It’s always nice to know other people are equally obsessed with their pets :)

Jace March 6, 2012 at 7:30 pm

I’m not a huge pug fan – more of a husky fan but that collage is cute cute cute.

Yes you can totally use Mod Podge. I used the fabric kind since it was being transferred to canvas and it worked wonderfully- I think better than the time I used gel medium.

Emma March 7, 2012 at 1:55 am

Oh cool-thanks for the tip! I will be trying that next time. Thank you for sharing!

Jo March 6, 2012 at 10:41 pm

You can most definitely use modpodge instead:

em March 6, 2012 at 11:44 pm

so cute!! :)

jen March 7, 2012 at 2:43 am

hi emma! what’s your name on instagram……i wanna follow!

Emma March 7, 2012 at 9:43 pm

emmaredvelvet

B. March 7, 2012 at 3:22 am

adorable! I had a pug too :)

Michelle March 8, 2012 at 5:05 pm

I’ve made about four of these since I saw your sister’s tutorial a few months back, and each one turns out better and better. The ultimate goal was to give one to my mom for a birthday gift (of her and my dad’s wedding day!), and I’m glad I did a few (of other prints) for practice first, because there’s definitely a bit of a learning curve and the gifted one turned out fantastic as a result! I, too, go to Kinko’s for my prints (so cheap…..in fact, the last time I went in, the guy was so busy he just waved me away when I tried to pay!). And I used Liquitex for both the transfer and the final seal and it’s worked really well. I, too, prefer a matte finish, and while I didn’t think the Liquitex made it all that shiny, maybe I’ll try Mod Podge next time and see if I like it better!

Laura March 9, 2012 at 10:49 am

Brilliant! I have an obsession with my dog poppy too (who’s regular feature in my blog) Your wall design is fantastic! Shall zoom on over to a beautiful mess and try it out! xx

Inna March 10, 2012 at 12:58 am

Just catching up on your blog a bit, and oh man! I LOVE this idea!! And I love the pineapple flowers, too. What fun! :D

Louisa March 10, 2012 at 4:21 am

This is a neat idea, and I’m sure my pug, Tatertot, would love the idea of having her photo up in the house as well.