Whole Wheat Cookies

by Emma on February 27, 2012

in Dessert,Snacks

Yesterday was a cookie-filled day. I have a confession: I have now bought girl scout cookies on three separate occasions… within the last month.

Support the girl scouts-yes! Buy delicious cookies-totally! But this means there have been an awful LOT of sugary calories at my house lately. And it’s SO hard to wake up in the morning and go to the kitchen to feed my dog, see those boxes (yes, plural) of cookies on the counter and then not eat a few for a pre-breakfast treat.

I mean, I got will power. But I’m not super man. Geez.

Those little girl scouts practicing their business skills and raising money for probably wholesome trips to ride horses is just too much to pass up. Right?

Usually I see one of two personality types as they try to sell me delicious cookies. 1.) SO shy but trying to go for it because their mom or leader is encouraging them. That’s always cute. And when you see a shy little girl trying to sell you something I just can’t say no, she’s trying so hard! 2.) The smooth sales-lady type. Those little girls are going to be CEOs one day and probably don’t need my cookie money. But when they confidently give me their quick and to-the-point pitch that is both friendly and professional while flashing me their I’m-missing-one-of-my-front-teeth grin, well… yeah I gotta buy some cookies.

Honestly, if the girl scouts were selling celery I’d probably still buy it (please note I don’t really care for celery). Little girls learning about business-that sort of makes my heart melt.

So yesterday, after buying my sixth box of cookies for the month, I went home and decided to make cookies too.

Because that just makes sense.

Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Banana Cookies, makes around 2 dozen. Recipe slightly adapted from Good to the Grain.

*These are some of the best cookies I’ve made this year! You can omit the banana and/or add anything else you prefer. But don’t omit the chocolate-I just can’t recommend that in good conscience.

Needed: 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour, 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 2 sticks of softened butter, 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup sugar, 2 eggs, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, 8 ounces dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips and 2 ripe bananas.

You can use all whole wheat flour, as the original recipe called for that. I just ran out so used some all-purpose and thought these turned out awesome anyway.

In a bowl combine the flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Whisk together (or sift together). In a mixer (or with an electric hand mixer) cream the softened butter and sugars together. Add both eggs and beat until just combined. Now add in the flour mixture and beat until dough forms. Use a wooden spoon or your (clean) hands to mix in the chocolate chips and one of the bananas mashed up.

Spoon batter in 3 tablespoon size balls onto a prepared baking sheet (I covered mine in parchment paper-it’s the way to be!). Top with a slice of banana from your remaining banana. Bake at 350 F for about 20 minutes. These cookies will spread as they bake so don’t crowd the batter as you spoon it out. But if they do spread into each other as they bake just use the edge of your spatula to cut them apart before removing to the cooling rack-they may look a little less than perfect but they will still taste awesome!

Ashlae February 27, 2012 at 5:44 pm

What a great flavor combination! I actually just made chocolate banana breakfast tartlets this morning.. and I’m thinking I need to make a vegan version of this cookie verrrrrrry soon.

debbie February 27, 2012 at 6:01 pm

ah, I’m so trying this.

Margherita @TheIronYou February 27, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Love the chocolate-banana combination in these cookies!

grace February 27, 2012 at 6:18 pm

bookmarking…this is a must try!
grace

kristi February 27, 2012 at 6:22 pm

these sound SO yummy!! Oh my gosh! However, I am MORE jealous of your cache of Girl Scout Cookies!! I don’t know why but they are HARD to come by in L.A…. it’s a serious problem that needs looking into… *haha

Katie February 27, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Yum! I will definitely be making these this week. I was the shy Girl Scout and my Cousin/BFF was the CEO…. somethings never change :) Thanks for sharing Emma!

Andrea Lynne Rose February 27, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Banana slices in a cookie!? I would have never thunk such things :)

Rebecca Letteer February 27, 2012 at 8:00 pm

I made some whole wheat banana bread a few weeks ago (recipe on my blog!) and I was so happy with how it turned out- I always thought whole wheat flour meant GROSS, but it really doesn’t! I definitely recommend adding chocolate chips to the banana bread recipe, too. It makes it s delish!

Tammy February 27, 2012 at 8:29 pm

My hubby came home with 5 boxes of girl scout cookies last week. I gave him the evil eye while opening the box. Now every morning I eat one on the way to work- they are evil but so good!

The Better Baker February 27, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Don’t we all love those divine Girl Scout Cookies?? These WW yummies sound wonderful…I love being able to make something sweet, healthy too. These are a winner in my book. Glad I found you here..

ClementineM February 27, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Ooooh, these look so jummy, especially ’cause of the banana slice in the first picture!

Katie Barton February 27, 2012 at 9:09 pm

I too have botten many more Girl Scout cookies than necessary within the last month. Who can say no to an adorable little girl with Thin Mints?

Margje February 27, 2012 at 9:30 pm

They look delicious! I was just thinking about making oatmeal cookies, so maybe I can use the chocolate-banana combination for them as well (:

emmaline February 27, 2012 at 10:07 pm

okay, you’re killing me.
i gave up chocolate until april… but how can i not make these?!

Alison :) February 29, 2012 at 1:36 am

You’ll be Lent-friendly if you swap the chocolate chips for peanut butter chips. It won’t be chocolate, but… :)

Natalie Webb February 28, 2012 at 12:27 am

So amazing Emma. The little banana bit on top just makes it. And for the record, we were the troop of Girl Scouts that made up songs in multiple-part harmony while selling in front of the Piggly Wiggly. Man, nobody stood a chance against us future-drama-kids.

korana February 28, 2012 at 2:40 am

I’ve just made them following your recipe.
Delicious, everyone agreed :) )) Thanks!

Emilia February 28, 2012 at 9:54 am

Completely understand about the girl-scout cookies, you just have to buy them if a young girl is trying so hard! These look delicious, too. For some reason, I only have whole wheat flour in my pantry, a sure sign that I need to make these, right? Bring on the cookies! :)

Clare February 28, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Oh they sound like the perfect cookie! And they look delicious! I like that they seem very healthy too!

Tamara February 28, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Made these this morning! Delicious:) And the kids loved them too.
This may be a sad confession: I’ve never had the opportunity to try Girl Scout Cookies,.

Naomi Anselmo February 28, 2012 at 10:02 pm

So funny! Any time my husband sees the girl scouts outside of the pet store, all bets are off. He’s bringing home half a dozen boxes. He’s obsessed. These look so good! They look like a nice healthy alternative for when I want to treat the kiddos (or the husband)!

Alison :) February 29, 2012 at 1:39 am

Mmm, I’ll be the banana slices make these so special!

Alison

P.S. I adore the Girl Scouts. What a great organization for girls and women!

Laura February 29, 2012 at 10:00 am

Wow these look delicious. I’ve literally just been baking home made granola and might step it up a gear to bake these!

We dont have girl scout cookies in the US and am always totally intrigued by the US craze for them… are they really that good?

Laura x

Rachel February 29, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Literally made these an hour or so ago! I didn’t add banana as my flatmate doesn’t like it, but I added cocoa powder and dark chocolate instead and it was pretty tasty (: I had a stash of wholemeal flour that needed using and this recipe certainly helped! (:

Rachael March 7, 2012 at 5:36 am

Hi Emma,
These looked AMAZING, so for the 3rd time ever, I used a recipe I found on a blog and tried to recreate it. My cookies were ugly as sin but boy were they yummy. Here’s my blog about it. I blogged about how your cookies are so beautiful and mine aren’t so I used a your picture. I hope you don’t mind and if you do, I’ll happily take it down (I linked to you).
My blogpost: http://gloriouslyarranged.blogspot.com/2012/03/its-whats-inside-that-counts-right.html

Lauren Helen March 10, 2012 at 5:58 pm

These look so delicious – sweets & treats are out of the question until Easter, though, unfortunately :(
Gave that stuff up for Lent and it’s KILLING me.