Grocery Tote

by Emma on February 8, 2012

in Craft

I don’t know if I’m just a bad list maker or what exactly… but I find myself at the grocery store an average of 3-4 times a week. Usually not getting a whole lot of things, just this or that to fill in the grocery gaps (as I am usually missing one item for every other recipe I make!).

I may not be the most efficient list maker. Ok. But it does seem a little silly to be accumulating so many plastic bags when I could easily fit it all in a small tote if I would just leave one in my car to use for such purposes.

And thus, project #7 of my 2012 craft challenge was born. Because I wanted a cute tote. I wanted a tote that was really me.

It’s important. It’s self-expression.

Just go with me on this.

So I added (faux) leather to my reusable tote. Uh huh. I gots to look cool as I get my juice and string cheese at the store.

I gots to.

1. Supplies used: plain tote (mine was thrifted but you can find them every where), faux leather, string, needle, scissors, cropodile, and a belt buckle (from a thrifted belt). 2. Cut the handles off. 3. Make new handles from faux leather, use the old handles as your guide. 4. Attach handles. 5. Measure and cut out a strip for the top edge, add the belt buckle. 6. Sew on the top edge.

This was a lot of fun to make-and I have the feeling that more leather-type projects will be in my future. xo. Emma

Rae Veda February 8, 2012 at 2:54 am

I love how you used the belt! It looks so cute. xo, rv

Angie February 8, 2012 at 2:56 am

Eep! Love that. I make a list for my groceries and yet I forget something every time! ;) You’re not alone! And, even more often, I only wanna run in and grab a drink and some yogurt or something of the sort and like you said – a bag for just that? Bah.

Crystalyn February 8, 2012 at 3:10 am

Ha! That has been us for the past couple weeks, there almost always seems to be just one or two little things we need to do a store run for. I’m pretty good at remembering the bags for a big shopping trip, but not so much for the little ones. I think its funny when the cashier looks at me weird when I say I don’t need a bag. Why yes, I am highly capable of carrying this sour cream and 4 bananas out to my car on my own. (Not that I often buy those two things together…)

grace February 8, 2012 at 3:21 am

great job and it looks fabulous….only wish I was this crafty…maybe one day!

grace

Ally February 8, 2012 at 3:49 am

Cute! We’re even worse, we live right around the corner from our little grocer/butcher/supermarket so we get dinner things on the way home every day, and go up to three times a day on weekends for each meal.

morgan February 8, 2012 at 4:05 am

VERY cute tote – and pssssssshhhhht to “inefficient list-making” (read: I too, am an inefiicient list-maker, but make myself feel WAY better about it by considering myself an advocate of a European lifestyle. There’s something to be said for shopping FRESH every day, even if FRESH is like local-supermarket-fresh and not like local-FRENCH-MARKET-fresh. Right? No? Maybe? I HOPE SO.).

debbie February 8, 2012 at 4:44 am

this is so cute and chic! If I had a car, I’d probably find myself at the grocery store every day of the week…

Alison :) February 8, 2012 at 4:50 am

Love the makeover! Thanks for sharing!

I am the exact opposite in my shopping habits. I shop like a mother of three (Hey, what can I say? My mom has three kids, and she’s my role model!). I leave the store with tons of bags, but I always seem to get the wrong things. All the good stuff is gone in half a week, and then I’m left with stuff I don’t want for the next two. My goal is to learn how to grocery shop!!

Alison :)

Lauren Helen February 8, 2012 at 4:55 am

This is so interesting! I love it!

Jo - Lost in the Haze: Fashion Blog February 8, 2012 at 5:41 am

Ohh, it is the cutest ever! <3 I am oh-so crazy about the belt detail!

x
Lost in the Haze: Fashion Blog

Lauren February 8, 2012 at 5:50 am

Finally have to break my commenting silence…I love the way you write! “I gots to”…I laughed out loud. In my brain, we’re friends. (<- not creepy at all..)

Missy February 8, 2012 at 6:43 am

I love it! Good for you, using a bag and all at the grocery store! Now, if I can only get Joe to do it too!

Gabby / En Route Photography February 8, 2012 at 8:45 am

Really cute! Well done!

Margherita February 8, 2012 at 8:55 am

That’s such a great idea to MYO!

The life after February 8, 2012 at 9:50 am

Nice but it is definetely too small for my shopping!

The Life After

Stefanie Grace February 8, 2012 at 11:21 am

Oh wow! I LOVE THIS! What a clever idea! x

call me debbie February 8, 2012 at 12:22 pm

I like grocery bags! Plus you don’t use plastic bags which pollute more our fragile environment! *ecological girl here :D *

(New blog needing some love and support: http://inwhirlofinspiration.blogspot.com)

hannahalehandra February 8, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Wow it’s so cool! Your crafts are always impressive. The bag is so stylish yet casual- great!

Kristi Hoskins February 8, 2012 at 1:35 pm

What a fun grocery tote! Oh the possibilities!

Shelley February 8, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Emma! This is amazing! I use a tote to cart my things to the gym, but it could certainly use a makeover. Also – my sister occasionally uses a grocery tote as purse (couple a 5 year old with plenty of errands and you need a quick accessible bag). This would be such a great Valentines Day gift for her! Thanks for sharing xx Shelley

Georgia February 8, 2012 at 2:53 pm

super cute, this is an awesome idea!

georgia

Katie February 8, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Adorable. You gots to be lookin good :)

Chris February 8, 2012 at 8:54 pm

I’m SO GLAD I’m not alone in the poor list making! Not only do I often forget to put stuff on my list but I often buy things NOT on the list that we don’t need. I’m starting to realize that I need to think ahead a lot more on the goodies I want to cook/bake for my blog too. I invariably get to my “weekend” (I usually have Wed/Thur. off) and realize that I’m out of butter *gasp*, chocolate chips or that I need buttermilk for a recipe I want to try. LOVE your tote, it’s so stinkin’ cute!

Katia February 8, 2012 at 9:02 pm

LOVE the looks of this! A lot of stores here sell their own totes meant for grocery shopping, I don’t know how it is in the states but they charge us for each plastic bag here in Canada! Something like 5 cents? Not much but yknow. Anyway, a stylish tote would be way better than the grocery-store-given ones :O

xo

Megan February 8, 2012 at 11:22 pm

I love it! I live in San Jose and we just banned all plastic bags so I’ll need to be making a lot of these as my re-usable ones wear out from the use.

Erica February 8, 2012 at 11:45 pm

This is such a cute bag! What an awesome idea

In the Light of Style

Lauren February 9, 2012 at 4:37 am

Awesome. I always feel a little ashamed when I don’t take my own bags to the market.

xo, Lauren @ theurbanhippie.wordpress.com

Inna February 9, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Ooh! This is so cool! :)

rachel! February 20, 2012 at 7:39 am

SO CUTE. you’re a genius.

Alexandra February 20, 2012 at 9:10 pm