Curry Carrot Soup

by Emma on February 20, 2012

in Dinner,Soup,Vegan

Carrot Soup.

I’m trying to think if I’d ever had carrot soup before…. Hmm… I think so. Surely.

Mainly I was trying to think of something to pair with curry. Because I L-O-V-E curry. (You’re suppose to say each letter, rather than simply saying love, just so you know.)

Carrots are orange. So there you have it.

What? Oh, you don’t pick out your food by color, only outfits.

Huh? Flavor combining has nothing to do with colors. Different senses, what?

Well, E-X-C-U-S-E me. (See the above note for reading directions.)

All I’m saying is: if you like curry, and the color orange, and soup then go with me here. Geez.

Curry Carrot Soup, makes 2-3 servings

Needed: 1/2 yellow onion, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 lb carrots (I used baby carrots), 2-3 cups vegetable or chicken stock, 1 tablespoon toasted curry powder, a sprinkle of cumin, a sprinkle of salt and pepper and maybe some greek yogurt to garnish.

Toast the curry powder until fragrant, set aside. Chop up the onions and carrots. In a pot over medium heat saute the onions in the oil until they begin to soften. Add in the carrots and continue to cook until tender. Now pour in the stock and spices and cook until the onions and carrots are very tender and starting to… well… sort of decompose a little, 15 minutes or so. Using an immersion blender (or carefully pouring the liquid into a food processor or blender, in batches probably) puree until soup is… uh… soupy. Serve hot with a little greek yogurt and some bread for dipping.

Shannon February 20, 2012 at 6:19 am

This sounds very yummy. I love curry. By the way, I made the Egg Boat over the weekend and it was so delicious! :)

Sarah February 20, 2012 at 6:26 am

Another good curry and orange colored soup is Butternut squash soup with curry. My old work had that same silverware set in the breakroom and lve accidentally acquired some pieces of it… Oops! :)

Alice Barton February 20, 2012 at 7:09 am

Sounds so yummy!! must try it! xx
Alice Barton ♥ The Mow Way

Fiona February 20, 2012 at 7:39 am

I’m with you on the colour coordination… I’ve been known to reject an ingredient from a meal as it will “clash” (my husband thinks I’m crazy).

Your curried carrot soup sounds brilliant. Likewise, butternut squash works incredibly well (also orange… just sayin’) with some curry powder & cumin – also no need to blender it, as it just loses its consistency.

Sarah Rooftops February 20, 2012 at 8:12 am

I totally choose food by colour. I used to have to justify it (“Red food is high in… um… antioxidants? I think?”) but nowadays my boyfriend just goes with it. It’s completely rational. *nods*

Margherita February 20, 2012 at 9:04 am

Yummy and healthy what you possibly want more?

Emilia February 20, 2012 at 10:36 am

Wow, this soup looks like the epitome of simple fabulous-ness. I love curry and am always up for eating soup. And the color is gorgeous :)

Clare February 20, 2012 at 12:37 pm

That’s an interesting combination! And it looks nice, must have a go at making it sometime!

Ashlae | oh, ladycakes February 20, 2012 at 2:11 pm

This looks delicious. I’ve been living off of my potato soup recipe for the past 3 weeks (I got pneumonia then had oral surgery) and this soup looks like a nice change of pace. Not to mention, curry in anything is my absolute favorite. Cannot wait to try it.

PS – I thought about adding purple carrots – but think about how terribly colored that would make the soup, eww..

Courtney February 20, 2012 at 3:10 pm

This looks delicious! I make a similar soup with carrots, shallots, and coconut milk and have always thought about adding curry. I L-O-V-E curry, too!

robyn February 20, 2012 at 3:39 pm

bookmarked-love-going to make this week!

Alexandra February 20, 2012 at 9:08 pm

This looks sooo yummy, I will have to try it myself
Alex

Mel February 20, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Carrot soup goes REALLY well with fresh cilantro! It’s a British classic!

christinaalessi February 21, 2012 at 3:32 am

First of all, you crack me up. Second of all, this recipe looks amazing. One question though… how does one toast curry? I need to try this.

Célèste February 21, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Oh, I definitely have put flavors together because of their color together. It’s funny how some things just taste orange, you know? The biggest one for me, though, is green. Honey dew and mint and cucumber and cilantro and celery, they all just taste so … GREEN.

Amber February 22, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Looks tasty! I’ve been looking for some simple soup recipes that were different than the typical tomato soup.

xo Amber P.

ClementineM February 23, 2012 at 11:18 am

Can’t wait to try this one, looks amazing, and I love carrots! :)

Laura February 27, 2012 at 10:57 am

THIS looks DIVINE- I have been looking for a simple carrot soup recipe

Currently relying on my butternut squash soup recipe!

From London,
Laura x

Freya February 29, 2012 at 5:27 pm

I love soups! I’ll have to try this out…I usually enjoy a good pumpkin and carrot soup but this sounds even better!