Vegetarian Corn Dogs

by Emma on January 3, 2012

in Dinner,Snacks

Sometimes you’re just in the mood for a corn dog. Am I right?

What? Oh, you don’t ever day-dream about corn dogs? Well, that’s your problem.

There’s just something so kid-at-the-county-fair about them. Plus, I haven’t met a food that comes on a stick that I didn’t like. Yet. But being that I’m a vegetarian (at least 90% of the time) I can’t very well just eat any old corn dog. I decided to try to make my own, vegetarian style. And guess what? It’s so so so easy. And so so so delicious. And you can make a bunch and freeze them for another day. I like that. I can totally deal with that.

Vegetarian Corn Dogs, this will make 8-10.

Needed: 1 cup pancake mix (you can make your own or use a store-bought mix, I did the latter), 1/4 cup cornmeal, 1 egg, 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water, vegetarian hot dogs, wooden sticks/skewers and 6-8 cups oil for frying (I used canola).

In a bowl combine the pancake mix, cornmeal, egg and water. Skewer your hot dogs onto the sticks, you want the sticks to go at least 3/4 through the hot dog so it’s sturdy. I ended up trimming the bottom half of my sticks off as they were too long, so depending on what kind of sticks you end up with you may need to do that. Heat up your oil in large pot or dutch oven over medium high heat. Dip the hot dogs in the batter, making sure they are fully covered. Carefully place one batter-dipped dog in the hot oil, stick and all. Fry for 2 minutes then use tongs to flip (some of mine flipped on their own). Remove to a plate covered in paper towels. Adjust your heat if needed, then fry up all your corn dogs!

Serve with ketchup, mustard or whatever else you feel is appropriate. :)

miranda January 3, 2012 at 6:30 pm

I am seriously so excited to make these! I love veggie hot dogs AND corn dogs so you cant really go wrong here!
-Miranda

Hanna January 3, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Actually I never dream about corn dogs. But…these look delicious, so I will probably have to try them.

PS: I got the Gwyneth Paltrow cookbook for Christmas (didn’t you talk about it over here once?). It’s so good, just looking at the pictures makes me want to eat everything.

Gabby / En Route Photography January 3, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Did you know that corn dogs are totally unknown in Europe??? I’ll have to try to make this myself! (It’s so funny I’m also 90% vegetarian… I only eat chicken breast!)

shannon January 3, 2012 at 7:43 pm

That’s my kind of corn dog!

Cara January 3, 2012 at 7:49 pm

For some reason we call these Pogos in Canada… poutine & a pogo was always my ultimate 2am (drunken) “snack”. …must be a French thing!

Lauren Helen January 4, 2012 at 3:02 pm

It’s actually because of the popular brand of “corn dogs”, which is called Pogo. I’ve called them pogos all my life, and I guess that as Canadians, the name brand just stuck with us?

Kate M. January 3, 2012 at 8:17 pm

YAY! Veggie goodness! Get-in-my-belly!!!!

Kate :D

margauxloraine January 3, 2012 at 8:28 pm

I DREAM ABOUT CORN DOGS! My favorite part about Missouri is a central location to great state fairs and corndogs (and other food on a stick…) galore! I am so Making these ASAP

Jackie January 3, 2012 at 8:29 pm

WOW! These look delicious easy fun to make! my kids would LOVE this!
Thank you for sharing!
Jackie ;)

rae January 3, 2012 at 8:47 pm

oh man i can’t wait to make these! corn dogs are something i have REALLY missed since becoming vegetarian. yummmmmm.

Darlene January 3, 2012 at 9:14 pm

If you put the batter into a drinking glass they are much easier to coat. Happy frying!

Jaclyn T January 3, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Mmmmm….I will have to try this….

–Jaclyn T
TrickArt Jewellery: Nature Chic

traci January 3, 2012 at 9:20 pm

what the eff? are you joking?
you’re a flipping genius woman.
this makes me want to vomit and salivate all at the same time.

Jean January 3, 2012 at 9:41 pm

my bf made some for us awhile back. we love corn dogs!! (http://jeanyous.blogspot.com/2011/12/homemade-corndogs.html)

hannah alehandra January 3, 2012 at 9:44 pm

I’ve secretly always wanted to try a corn dog! Don’t really come across them over here in England.

Anne Marie January 3, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Okay I am making a huge batch of these and freezing them! That is brill!! My kids could eat corn dogs every day and I hate that I am not totally positive what goes in them.

Sami January 3, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Emma, what brand of veggie hotdogs did you use?

Emma January 3, 2012 at 10:31 pm

It’s a brand called, Yves. I really like them.

Megan January 3, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Oh yum. Corn dogs are delish. I bet these would even be good with the chicken sausage at trader joes!

Becca Letteer January 3, 2012 at 11:37 pm

Emma:

I never really comment on blogs, but after reading your blog since its very beginning, I just have to tell you how much I love your posts! I love that there is food, fashion, and an incredibly funny narrative! Your blogs always make me smile, and salivate!

Thanks for all the work you put into your blog! You rock in so many ways!

Brianna Wachter January 4, 2012 at 12:42 am

Corn dogs are one of those foods I have never been able to eat, but I must say, you make them look edible :)

Janna Lynn Foland January 4, 2012 at 1:13 am

OOOOhmygosh! I so want to do this! A goal of mine is to try to limit he amount of meat I eat….to the point that people think I’m a total vegetarian! This is perfect for me, I am so gonna try this one. I love all the recipes you post. I am very inspired to cook more, and recipes that make it easier to integrate vegetarian eating methods….totally helpful and inspiring! Hearts, janna lynn

irene wibowo January 4, 2012 at 1:46 am

yummy.. :) Irene Wibowo

Sierra January 4, 2012 at 2:21 am

I can’t even remember the last time I had a corn dog! I’m a vegetarian too, but I never even considered making veggie-friendly corn dogs. Yummm… And I completely agree, food on a stick never disappoints.

Jo - Lost in the Haze: Fashion Blog January 4, 2012 at 2:30 am

Ohh, thank you, Emma! I can’t wait to try them! I remember eating corn dogs when I was about 8, and quite liking them – but I am a vegetarian now so can’t! I will have to convince Barnaby to whip these up for me ; )

x
Lost in the Haze: Fashion Blog

Mama Smith January 4, 2012 at 3:01 am

Oh my goodness these look sooo yummy! My husband is going to go nuts for these. He had a veggie corn dog at a music festival once and was in love but I never even thought of making them.

Lesley January 4, 2012 at 3:49 am

You have no idea how happy this post makes me! I haven’t had corn dogs since my non-veggie years, probably about 13 years ago! So excited!! I don’t know why I never thought to make my own.
~Lesley

Lauren Helen January 4, 2012 at 3:57 am

This is hilarious!
I was skiing today, and when we went back to the chalet, I was looking at the menu on the wall and said to my sister how one thing I totally miss about eating meat was pogos! I then told her I was sure I could figure out how to make my own using veggie dogs…

You have no idea how perfect it is that one of my favourite food bloggers just happened to make a post about vegetarian pogos (or corn dogs, I guess ;P ) on the same day that I was so craving them!

Ana January 4, 2012 at 4:03 am

veggie corn dogs are the bomb-diggity! p.s. so nice to see that you are a supporter of the lovely jillian from a slice of pye! yay!

Amanda January 4, 2012 at 5:18 am

Beautiful! Great idea!

Check out my updates..

Amanda

Reese January 4, 2012 at 5:51 am

I LOVE corndogs! They were my favorite when I was a kid.

Love your blog.
Now following!

skunkboy January 4, 2012 at 9:34 am

These look amazing! I freaking love corndogs… except not hotdogs because they give me a bad belly ache. So yes, I do dream of corndogs that won’t make me cry and these might be my solution. Also, one day when I FIIIIIIINALLY move to town can you please show me how to fry things? Somehow I missed that part of cooking class because I’m TERRIBLE at it. I don’t even know how you can be terrible at it, but I promise I am.

The life after January 4, 2012 at 9:57 am

Very nice idea for my veggie friends!

The Life After

Skye January 4, 2012 at 9:08 pm

This is such a good idea! I’m vegetarian and I would never have thought to make my own corn dogs. I’d love to know- what is your favorite brand of veggie hot dogs? The only ones I’ve tried that I like are Worthington Veja-Links… they come in a can and look kinda gross but I think they taste better than Smart Dogs. But they’re like $9 for 8 hot dogs so I hardly ever buy them!

Two Happy Hearts January 4, 2012 at 11:59 pm

ohhhh my….these look amazing!!!
corn dogs are some of my favorites, for sure. but i also don’t like the idea of eating whatever it is that hot dogs are made out of…yuck! so this is the perfect recipe!! pure genius, emma. pure genius.

Kacie @ A Collection of Passions January 5, 2012 at 2:52 am

God, what I wouldn’t have given for this when I was pregnant!!!!!!!!! I craved them constantly but couldn’t bring myself to eat a scary one! This is awesome!

Kacie

Grace January 5, 2012 at 4:34 am

so excited to try this!

Grace
Http://herumbrella.com

Brielle January 5, 2012 at 4:52 am

ah! what a fun idea! :D I never thought about making them with veggie dogs. I am a vegetarin too and this will come in handy. Thank you. Now you have me craving corn dogs! :D

Jen @ pretty plate January 5, 2012 at 1:39 pm

SO fun!!!! I need to try this!!!

: ))
Jen

nicole January 5, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Thank you for posting this. It’s such a fun treat! Keep up the good work inspiring your readers.
*Nicole

Ashley January 6, 2012 at 1:33 am

I also DREAM of county fair corn dogs, people out here in Boston have never heard of them!?! I was shocked. I like to use a little buttermilk in mine, by no means does it make them healthier, but they’re delicious!

Jess T January 6, 2012 at 2:42 am

This pregnant vegetarian is saying thank you! My dreams pretty much all revolve around food these days.

Emma January 6, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Congrats!

Sheila January 7, 2012 at 10:44 pm

I am like 95% vegetarian (I still cook with chicken broth), and I have been dying for corndogs. I LOVE the breading. Unfortunately I hate vegetarian meats. Any ideas on what I can dunk in the batter and fry up instead? I thought maybe pickles…

Polly January 21, 2012 at 9:10 pm

yum- thanks Emma! I had corn dogs when I visited the US years ago, but they just don’t exist here in the UK – can’t wait to try these out :)

Jenna January 23, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Oh yes, veggie corn dogs are GREAT! An awesome thing to do to the batter is add some chopped up green chiles or jalapenos if you’re into spicy stuff.. SO GOOD. My Mom makes them like that, but she uses kosher meat hot dogs for hers :)

Kiah February 5, 2012 at 2:50 am

My Boyfriend and I made these for dinner tonight. They were AMAZING!!!! My Boyfriend has Celiac disease, so we used Gluten-free pancake mix.

Thanks

Kiah

Liz April 4, 2012 at 2:03 am

Yum!! I LOVE Dagwood Dogs (what we call corn dogs in Australia I guess)!!
I cant wait to secretly make these vegetarian ones for my anti vege boyfriend who will love them as long as i dont tell him they arent actually meat :)