Caraway Seed Bread

by Emma on January 26, 2012

in Bread

Bread baking, as it turns out, is an interesting hobby. I think it’s totally weird how some loaves of bread can take under 3 hours to make and bake, while other loaves can take up to 15 hours!

Totally just did that math (in my head too-not to brag or anything) and that’s a 12 hour difference. Weird. Most recipes don’t take “x amount of time to complete, give or take 12 hours.”

And I’m just talking about yeasted breads… don’t even get me started on quick breads.

This loaf is a 14-15 hour loaf. I like a long rise. I make the dough, go to bed, wake up (to a yeasty smelling kitchen) punch down the dough, make some coffee during the second rise. Have bread ready for a late brunch/early lunch situation.

That, my friends, is what I call a successful Sunday morning. Boom.

This loaf features caraway seeds-which smell really awesome. So savory. Great bread for soup, or just with butter. Not great bread for sweet jams or making into french toast. Pros and cons. Trade-offs. Life. Caraway seeds. (Ok, I was going somewhere with all that… but then I just started typing everything that came to mind… and I sort of lost where I was going.)

Oh-and you’ll note that I am using a couple different types of flours but you can totally use all bread flour if you prefer. Do you’re thing, man.

Caraway Seed Bread, makes 1 loaf. Baking method learned from My Bread.

Needed: 2 1/2 cups bread flour, 1/4 cup rye flour, 1/4 cup whole wheat flour, 1 1/4 teaspoons fine grain sea salt (or just regular salt if you don’t want to be fancy), 1/4 teaspoon active dry yeast, 1 1/3 cup water and 2 tablespoons caraway seeds.

In a bowl combine the flours, salt, yeast and seeds. Stir in the water and using your (clean) hands knead dough into a ball. Cover and allow to rise for 12 hours (take a nap or go to work or something, don’t just wait around-it’s too long!). Punch dough down and form another ball. Sprinkle some flour in a clean dish towel (not a fuzzy one) and place the dough ball in, wrapping it loosely in the towel and let it rise another hour. Now bake in a dutch oven (or clay pot) for 25 minutes at 450 F. Uncover the pot and let it bake another 5-8 minutes.

Enjoy! xo. Emma

Mariana January 26, 2012 at 8:08 am

Ah… Sounds and looks awesome.

The life after January 26, 2012 at 8:31 am

I like so much Italian bread.. even if it is white it is one of the best things to eat… I’mm a super fan of bread, I’ll try yours!

The Life After

A Feast for the Eyes January 26, 2012 at 8:35 am

I like the idea of leaving it to rise overnight, might have to try this recipe this weekend! Thanks :)

call me debbie January 26, 2012 at 8:46 am

hahaha always happens to me, to be bored enough to get dressed and go to the bakery but not bored at all to bake my own bread! It’s so relaxing, i love the procedure! I use also and some olives, i like olive bread!

(Pls check my new blog guys: http://inwhirlofinspiration.blogspot.com )

hannah alehandra January 26, 2012 at 10:55 am

This looks delicious. I love caraway seeds, yum.

Debbie January 26, 2012 at 12:14 pm

I’ve always wanted to learn how to make bread but it’s just so intimidating!

Nicolette Lafonseca-Hargreaves January 26, 2012 at 12:23 pm

This looks great I can’t wait to try it I looove bread so much I would eat only bread and cheese if I could. I think your bread baking is a great goal.

Happy Baking!

Nicolette xo

morgan January 26, 2012 at 1:48 pm

that is a HANDSOME looking loaf of bread!

Kathryn S January 26, 2012 at 2:07 pm

You’re weekly bread making is inspirational to me… as weird as that sounds! They all look so yummy but all your food looks so good! Love love love your blog
-K

Kristen January 26, 2012 at 2:27 pm

I started baking bread a little over a year ago and I’m so excited that you’re posting such good-looking recipes. Plus caraway smells so great when it’s baking!

Emma January 26, 2012 at 6:09 pm

i know! i love the smell of baking caraway seeds!!

Georgia January 26, 2012 at 3:59 pm

yum, this looks SO good!

Georgia

Ashley Tolman January 26, 2012 at 4:31 pm

I’ve noticed you don’t activate the yeast in warm water first. Is this because the rising process is long so the yeast will activate slower? Or is there a step I’ve missed?

Thanks! This looks great!

Emma January 26, 2012 at 6:08 pm

yes, normally it’s a good idea to activate the yeast in warm water (by dissolving it). but because the rise is so long in this recipe it is not necessary. :)

Tish January 26, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Okay, Emma, you are now totally making me want to make bread!
I made sooooo much of it at baking school that I thought I’d never want anything to do with it again! Plus, at school we had nice big tables/stations and a professional proofer (you know, steamy goodness for making the bread rise), so making bread at home never even seemed like an option because I don’t have a proofer?!
But, obviously, you have proved that it is possible to make a wide variety of yummy bread at home!
Although, I may have to look into this dutch oven thing…
Thanks for sharing the bread-love! I always enjoy reading your posts, even if I’m not interested in the recipe because I love your funny writing style. :)

Holly (The Apiarist) January 26, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Yeast is such a fascinating ingredient! Who over first discovered the leavening properties of yeast must have totally flipped their lid; probably thought the devil got in their dough! Moving on, lovely looking loaf!

Sarah from 20something cupcakes January 26, 2012 at 6:53 pm

I really want to get into some bread-making. I’ve been bookmarking a lot of focaccia and savory quick bread type deals, along with a no-knead bread from NYT. We pick up a fresh loaf from our favorite bakery on Fridays for wine, cheese + olive-oil dipping on the balcony, and I was thinking of how much better it would be to have it fresh out the oven. And I know what ya mean on the caraway. Yum.

dannelle@nestenterprises January 27, 2012 at 3:12 am

what scrumptious little things carraway seeds are. Could bread be any tastier!
happiness…
dannelle@nestenterprises

Chris January 27, 2012 at 9:34 pm

The crust on this bread looks amazing – wishin’ there was a soundbite of it bein’ sliced – LOL!

Jenna January 28, 2012 at 1:06 am

Oh! I have caraway seeds that I never get to use. I should make this! I don’t have bread flour though…

Caitlin of doverpeak January 29, 2012 at 7:19 pm

Damn, that looks good! Anything caraway and bread related, I’m all over it.

candace January 31, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Just baked this this morning! Oh man, so good. Has a great crust to it. Thanks for the recipe!