Asparagus Soup

by Emma on January 10, 2012

in Dinner,Soup

This soup is very green. Like sci-fi, alien green. Like, totally-good-for-you green. Like, I thought about calling it Green Machine Soup but feared a suit from the Naked Juice company.

Because I’m sure they all read my blog…. I’m sure of it.

Asparagus is probably my second favorite vegetable right now (Brussels Sprouts takes first place, obvs). My uncle, who is an amazing chef, made an asparagus soup for a starter on Christmas Eve and I’m still swooning over it. So I had to give it a go.

Plus, soup is my favorite way to eat vegetables in the winter. It’s hot and filling and you can dip bread in it. Warm-fresh-from-the-oven bread. So that’s double hot, if you’re counting. And I am as I tend to wear two layers of socks all winter, like a total baby.

Asparagus Soup, makes 3-4 servings.

Needed: 2-3 tablespoons olive oil, 1/2 a yellow onion, 2 tablespoons minced garlic, 2 lbs asparagus, 1 can vegetable stock (low sodium), 1/2 cup cream, 1 lemon, salt and pepper.

In a large pot or dutch oven heat the olive oil over low/medium heat. Chop up the onion, mince the garlic and trim and chop up the asparagus (prep the veggies). Saute the onion in the oil, season with a little salt and pepper. Once it begins to soften add in the garlic and asparagus. Continue to cook until the asparagus begins to turn bright green. Add in the stock and cook for another 3-5 minutes.

Now use an Immersion blender to carefully liquefy everything. You can also do this in a food processor or traditional blender, working in batches and being really carefully as you move hot liquids around. Once everything is blended add in the cream, taste and add any more salt and pepper. Squeeze in some lemon juice just before serving.

Enjoy! xo. Emma

hannah alehandra January 10, 2012 at 3:42 pm

So vibrant and green looking! Just what the doctor has ordered for this January. Much love, from England.

Andrea Lynne Rose January 10, 2012 at 3:56 pm

This looks amazingly yummy! Im gonna have to try this on one of the colder days in Florida.
Thanks!

sarika January 10, 2012 at 4:26 pm

yum! Asparagus has got to be my favourite soup along with carrot and ginger. As in as separate soups. I’m not sure how asparagus, carrot and ginger would taste all in one :)

Laurie January 10, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Your soup looks delicious! I love the color! Asparagus is one of my all time favorite veggies. I made cream of asparagus soup back in November too! Check it out here: http://www.love-laurie.com/2011/11/cream-of-asparagus-soup.html

Kathryn January 10, 2012 at 4:44 pm

This looks great! I’m always looking for new soup recipes. Must try it!

Han January 10, 2012 at 4:47 pm

It looks like paint! Hope it tastes nice :)

Emily January 10, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Ooh, I love asparagus, and I love soup. Definitely need to make this soon!

Hanna January 10, 2012 at 5:08 pm

That soup looks so delicious, i am yearning for something filling and warm right now. where I come from, we very often eat fresh, steamed white asparagus (don’t know the proper translation) and it’s absolutely delicious as well. I don’t know whether asparagus like this is available in the us, but if yes, you must definitely try it, it’s delicious.

Tatiana January 10, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Looks great! I am also a big fan of soups and fresh bread. I can also recommend cream of Jerusalem artichoke soup – quite similar recipe and very tasty:

Vidhya January 10, 2012 at 6:00 pm

I once made pea soup following nigella’s recipe.. it looked exactly like this and i hated it.. gonna try this one.. hope its as awesome as u describe it :)

SophieSweetVintage January 10, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Mmmmm… it looks soooo delicious!

Mariana January 10, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Love soup, especially in the winter. And this soup looks delicious! (And I love green. ;) )

eleventh monkey January 10, 2012 at 6:53 pm

By cream do you mean sour cream? Looks like it in the picture…

I’m going to make this soup as soon as I know!

Emma January 10, 2012 at 7:34 pm

no, by cream I meant half and half. I served mine with a little greek yogurt, which you can see in the picture.

eleventh monkey January 10, 2012 at 10:27 pm

Aaah!!! Thanks a lot for you quick answer! Off to the grocery store now!

Elle January 10, 2012 at 8:27 pm

I made a Aspargus tart once, and I think the cheese I used on it would make for a great Grilled Cheese to go with this soup! Thanks for the recipe! I’m going to try this!

call me debbie January 10, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Love, love love the colour! Well these days (our weather here is awfull) i ate every kind of soup that exists, only soups, like every day in lunch! #soupaddict And the cream, well the cream steals my heart always in soups! :)

(Pls check my new blog guys: http://inwhirlofinspiration.blogspot.com ) inwhirlofinspiration@gmail.com call me debbie

call me debbie January 10, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Well it’s me again, I don’t know the point of all this junk in the end of my last post, sorry for the spam! ;)

caton January 10, 2012 at 11:53 pm

Um this looks amazing. I will be making this stat!

anita January 11, 2012 at 1:24 am

Asparagus soup is totally one of my comfort foods!

Inna January 11, 2012 at 3:57 am

OK, that looks amazing. *Drool*
I LOVE asparagus. It’s amazing grilled in a pan with some butter, salt and pepper. Mmm.
Never had asparagus soup, but … I might have to give it a try someday. Yum.

Katherine of Kitten's Lost Her Mittens January 11, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Hey Emma! This soup sounds great! I can’t wait to try it. How many cups or oz are in the can of veggie broth that you buy?

emily January 11, 2012 at 4:00 pm

This look so yummy! I love asparagus but can never find creative ways to cook it. Thanks for sharing!

Emily Spencer January 12, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Vegan with a Vengance also has a healthier version of this… they use potatoes instead of cream and it’s absolutely delicious! Try checking it out! :)

Monica @ Soirees & Such January 12, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Oh yum! this actually looks like my pea and mint soup I posted a couple days ago. Love alien green soups!

Lauren Helen January 13, 2012 at 3:28 pm

I love eating things that are ridiculous colours (but naturally). When I make smoothies I try to make them as bright green as possible because it makes them a thousand times better, in my opinion. I don’t really like asparagus, but I do love soup, so hopefully I’ll try this out!

teddi January 13, 2012 at 11:35 pm

oh asparagus soup, for it is one of those soups my husband makes, & i enjoy! slurp.

Taylor January 26, 2012 at 2:46 am

I just made this soup and it was super fast and absolutely delish! Exactly what I wanted on a super frigid night!