Witches of East End

by Emma on December 23, 2011

in Books

I love fantasy novels. I really do. If the book has: vampires, magic, werewolves, witches/wizards, or any other-worldly elements I am all in. I will read that book. It really doesn’t take much to convince me.

So after about a month and half hiatus from reading ‘for fun’ (I had been studying for a big, important test) I decided I wanted to start back up with a truly just-for-fun fantasy novel. I had read a short review of Witches of East End and it sounded pretty promising. The story centers around a mother and her two daughters, all witches who have been forbidden from using their magic. Their town begins having a number of public health and weather related problems, along with a few murders and a disappearance/kidnapping. So the witches are forced out of hiding to deal with all that craziness.

There is a lot of magic. There is a lot of love. And there is a lot of just plain ridiculousness in this book.

I am more than happy to suspend my disbelief. I mean, I openly embrace the fantasy genre. But this book just got a way too… out there. Bordering on not making any sense at some points. I’m not even entirely sure how it ends, and I read that part. I just don’t get it, and not because it’s so deep.

I have not read Ms. de la Cruz’s other series, she is a NY Times best-selling author, so who am I to judge? But frankly, I was pretty unimpressed with the last 1/3 of this book. I tried. But I can’t say it was very good.

Sorry if that was a total downer, guys. I mean, it’s the holidays and all. I’m excited to celebrate with my friends and family this weekend. I wish you all a very happy holiday-be safe and have fun!

P.S. If you read this book and totally loved it-cool! Feel free to call me a crazy lady. We can still be buds. Even if I’m crazy. :)

katherine December 23, 2011 at 4:57 am

I am not sure if this book may be on your interest list but I enjoy the same type of fantasy books as you.
Check out Infinite Days, It’s quite interesting and the ending was a shocker.

Rose December 23, 2011 at 6:00 am

You should make up for it by reading Practical Magic… :)

Chloe December 23, 2011 at 6:54 am

I was actually not intrigued by this book, but a few friend said they liked it, and I thought I might, but I am glad that I didn’t waste my money! It is not a book I would normally pick out, so I saved the time ;)

Chris December 23, 2011 at 7:29 am

I love fantasy about paranorms too – preferably urban fantasy, modern day type stuff with butt-kickin women. I have not heard of this book, but I’m appreciative of the heads-up. Luckily, I mostly check my readin’ material out of the local library these days – so no financial “investment” if I don’t like the book – but still, there are too many good ones out there to waste time with a bad one.

sian December 23, 2011 at 8:31 am

hi there! i have this book on my bedside table – so it’s too late for me! i enjoyed her other books – the blue bloods series…. a kind of urban fantasy book i really loved recently was ‘daughter of smoke and bone’ by laini taylor – have you read it?
x

Allison Nicole December 23, 2011 at 9:03 am

You MUST read The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry! I mean, you don’t have to, but it’s all sorts of excellent (in my opinion). Plus, it has witches and sci-fi elements- sans all that out-there-ness :) Try it out

Eleni Drinks Tea December 23, 2011 at 11:03 am

Ugh, there are few things quite as disappointing as a bad book! From one disappointed reader to another, please let me advise you to never ever read ‘The Name of The Rose’ by Umberto Eco. I’ve read other books by him and enjoyed them, and ‘The Name of The Rose’ is always on those lists of books you should read before you die, but I think that’s practical advice, rather than a recommendation on preference, because I swear this book could kill people. They would die of boredom, all over the place.

Have a lovely Christmas!

Anita December 23, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Totally agree with you. Read it and was so not into it. I’ve read most of her other series and love them! Not sure what it was about this one…

Julie December 23, 2011 at 1:16 pm

I love fantasy books too. Vampires, werewolves, witches…all of it. I saw this one at the store but I didn’t end up getting it because one of the workers actually advised me against it. Lol. Good thing I guess! I hate getting all the way through a book and being disappointed. Hope your next pick is a better one =)

Michelle December 23, 2011 at 1:20 pm

I’m of the firm belief that just because an author is a best seller does not make them good. I, too, adore a good fantasy series, thought entire Twighlight series was less than stellarly written, and she’s on all sorts of best seller lists! But I digress…..thanks for the review! I’ll ignore this one and move onto something else, because I do hate being disappointed by a book.

Ann December 23, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Yay! I always feel like the closeted fantasy novel nerd. Now i know i’m not the only one! You should check out The Hollows series by Kim Harrison (sooo addictive!) and the Cat & Bones series by Jeaniene Frost. But dont say i didnt warn you when you’re up at 3am reading them!

Thanks for the heads up!

Katia December 23, 2011 at 5:42 pm

I find that about some fantasy novels – they only work out if they’re somewhat believable, the whole line of what is believable and what is not was a topic we talked about a lot in my writer’s craft class! Most fantasies I’ve read seemed to have walked that line well though because I can’t think of one I didn’t believe. Good to know about this book though :)

xo

Deme Mosley December 24, 2011 at 4:05 am

lol! I saw that this was going to be a book review so I immediately got all excited……. and then I read that the book was completely ridiculous! lol. Have you read the Queen Betsey series by MaryJanice Davidson ? It has ghosts, vampires, werewolves, evil vampires, and even a brewing love story.. a must read for a fantasy loving woman!

alyssa December 24, 2011 at 9:18 am

I do like some fantasy but my favorite is magical realism. I like the idea of walking around in this world that we know so well except there is just something a little different and otherworldly going on. I find that a lot of Spanish & Japanese writers adopt this method. “The House of Spirits” by Isabel Allende, “Love in the time of Cholera” by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, and “Sputnik Sweetheart” by Haruki Murakami all sucked me in that awesome way only a good book can! Also, I really liked “The Magicians” by Lev Grossman which is a modern day rough around the edges fantasy book.

Sarah December 24, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Merry Christmas and a happy new year! God bless you! xoxo ♥

Amy Jo December 25, 2011 at 8:04 am

I know you’ve mentioned before that you aren’t too find of trilogys/series because you don’t want to read the first one and wind up hating it but I’m going to suggests 3. In my opinion, the books can stand alone so if you read just one and its not your taste, pass on by the rest. Garth Nix wrote a fascinating trilogy with books titled Sabriel, Lirael, and Abhorsen. Next suggestion: A Great and Terrible Beauty, Rebel Angels, and I think the last one is A Far Young Thing or something like that (they have witches, their other world is neat!). Lastly, anything by Ted Dekker. I can’t find a thing of his his that I don’t love. I started with the Circle Trilogy and was absolutely blown away. The way they are written puts you right in the middle of things. I laughed, cried, and took a good look at myself which I totally didn’t expect from those books! Happy Reading!

Catharine December 27, 2011 at 2:33 am

The Fionavar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay. Wonderful and beautiful. One of my very favourite series.

Grace December 31, 2011 at 11:06 pm

I love your little book reviews. Always on the prowl for new books to read. I love the fantasy genre; my favorite series of all time is Harry Potter. Nothing can beat the story or relationships created in that wonderful world. But I recently finished reading The Hunger Games trilogy. You’ll whip through the pages of the first two and the third is controversial, but it’d be a great trilogy to start reading since the first movie comes out in March and looks promising. I also read The Passage by Justin Cronin about a post-apocalyptic zombie-vampire overtaking. I finished it only because I shelled out $20 for it. He has a talent for prose, but it took eons for the story to get anywhere and I found myself skipping pages. Since you’re an animal lover, another good read is Ape House by Sara Gruen, author of Water for Elephants which I loved. It’s so much different, but really touching. The next books on my list are the Game of Thrones series and a book called Matched, which I’ve heard nothing but good things about.

Happy New Year in advance ^_-

Marissa January 1, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Thanks for the heads up! I love her Blue Bloods series {it’s a really interesting take on vampires!} and had thought about looking into her other books. I’ll knock this one off my to read list. :] Happy new year, Emma!

k8 January 3, 2012 at 11:55 pm

This book was not my favorite either!
If you love libraries, witches/vampires, smart heroines, you must check out ‘discovery of witches’ by deborah harkness. Excellent.
for reals.

Heather January 4, 2012 at 7:23 pm

I’m a total sci-fi book nerd. I love big epic books like Under the Dome or The Passage. I just read Robopocolypse by Daniel Wilson, which was awesome. It’s a fast read, and a page turner. I liked the characters, and the story was really interesting. I think Steven Spielberg bought the rights to make it into a movie (books are always better than the movies). You should check it out. :)

kelly January 9, 2012 at 1:05 am

YES! It seems like you get a lot of suggestions looking at your comments, but if you are looking for some similar to this, I promise you won’t be dissatisfied with:

1. Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor