Homemade Marshmallows

by Emma on December 6, 2011

in Dessert

Some months ago, back when it wasn’t so cold and snow totally wasn’t in the forecast yet, I went camping with some friends.

I know, I know. I probably don’t seem like the camping type of girl. I’m not going to spend my day trying to convince you otherwise. I got a lot of bug bites on that trip. And I can’t say I’m the best at rowing a canoe. BUT I will say that I actually do love camping.

So there.

Anyway…. one of the sweetest gals I know was also on the trip with me and she had brought some, uh, artisanal marshmallows? They were more homemade than jet puff, and they were good. I mean, really good. I don’t use italics lightly. We used them to make s’mores, and I think I died and went to heaven right then.

Then I came back. And I knew I had to make my own marshmallows sometime.

I was a little intimidated to. It’s one of those recipes that you really can’t just ‘wing-it’ and guess at what the ingredients might be. I figured there was a bunch of sugar, maybe gelatin, and probably a some-what scientific heating method involved.

And it’s true: homemade marshmallows are actually very easy to make but you will need a few special tools. You truly do need an electric stand mixer (while hand-held could work I don’t recommend it as it would involve too much juggling with really hot liquids) and you need a candy thermometer.

Don’t be afraid of the candy thermometer. But don’t think you can skip it either. Trust me. You need it. If you feel like you will never use it outside of marshmallows… well… that’s possibly very valid. But if you have dreams of: making hard candy, spinning sugar, creating fluffy delicious marshmallows; well then darling you need to gift yourself a candy thermometer. Just saying.

Homemade Marshmallows, makes around 2 dozen depending on how big you cut them. Adapted from Joy the Baker.

Needed: 1 cup cold water, 3 packages (each is 1/4 ounces) gelatin, 1 1/2 cup sugar, 1 cup light corn syrup, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 2 teaspoons (clear) vanilla extract, 1/3 cup powered sugar and 1/3 cup corn starch.

In a small bowl combine the powered sugar and corn starch. Spray a 9×12 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray and dust with half of the powdered sugar mixture. Set these aside.

Set up your stand mixer with a whisk attachment. In the bowl combine 1/2 cup water and the gelatin packets. No need to stir, but let them sit there and mutate for 10 minutes or so. (It’s not really mutating, but it will look weird, so don’t be alarmed.)

In the mean time combine 1/2 cup water, the sugar, the corn syrup and the salt in a medium size pot. Heat over high heat and stir to dissolve the sugar, 1 minute. Attach your candy thermometer and let it heat up to 240 F (this will take probably 6-10 minutes depending how high you turned your heat up to). Once the sugar mixture is hot enough turn off the heat and start your stand mixer (that had the gelatin in it). CAREFULLY pour the hot sugar-water into the mixer while it is turned on low. My mixer has a splash guard attachment and I found that was very helpful during this step.

Once you’ve added all the sugar water turn the mixer up to high and let it beat the marshmallow batter for 7-8 minutes until it’s fluffy and white. Pour the batter into the prepared baking sheet and cover with the remaining powdered sugar mixture. Let this set over night, then plop it out on a cutting board and use a pizza cutter to slice into squares.

Optional: make midnight s’mores. Make your brother join you in the cold to toast marshmallows on the grill. Use force if you have to. I love these in s’mores. You could also add these to hot chocolate, or heck, just eat them. They is good.

Enjoy! xo. Emma

Monica @ Soirees & Such December 6, 2011 at 4:31 pm

I’ve always wanted to make homemade marshmallows and cut them with cookie cutters to make cute shapes likes stars for hot chocolate. Maybe I’ll give it a try! thanks!

Hanna December 6, 2011 at 4:46 pm

I recently taught my brand new husband about SMORES! A new tradition for us, having moved to N. America from the UK. Thank you so much for sharing things Emma. I am definitely going to give it a whirl, along with those Cranberry cookies I have been meaning to try for forever!

Kristen December 6, 2011 at 5:14 pm

I also find candy thermometer helpful for checking water temperature for yeast when baking.

Gina_AcuteDesigns December 6, 2011 at 5:22 pm

I am not a crazy marshmallow fan but these look amazing!

Annabel December 6, 2011 at 5:26 pm

One day… When I own a standing mixer… I will make these bad boys. I may even use food colouring to be a total rebel, yeah!

Emma December 7, 2011 at 1:19 am

oh yeah! pink marshmallows would be divine. :)

Inna December 6, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Those look great! Homemade everything is the best. We spend so much time making the main parts of a dish but forget to make the small stuff too like marshmallows. I love this. Thanks!

Meli (Blush + Jelly) December 6, 2011 at 6:01 pm

I’ve always been afraid of making marshmallows. I think it’s time for this challenge! All I need is a candy thermometer! :)

Charlie December 6, 2011 at 6:17 pm

I made blackberry marshmallows last year and it was my first time too! Was so proud of the result ! :D
Mine are here: http://foragesandfinds.blogspot.com/2010/08/hot-chocolate-anyone.html
just in case it’s interesting to compare :)
also, I think I made mine without a candy thermometer – just about managed it – but I have one now and think it’s really useful – for deep frying, caramel, jam-making and allsorts. definitely worth getting!

grace December 6, 2011 at 6:35 pm

SO COOL. I would never even think about making homemade marshmallows!

Grace

Rae Veda December 6, 2011 at 8:37 pm

These look so yummy! They’d be so fun to use at a campfire. xo, rv

Jo - Lost in the Haze December 6, 2011 at 8:42 pm

These look incredible! And I honestly didn’t even know that you could make your own marshmallows!

x
Lost in the Haze

Georgia December 6, 2011 at 9:48 pm

YUM! every christmas i make peppermint marshmallows with my mom, thats when you know its christmas!
-Georgia

skippysays December 7, 2011 at 1:37 am

I recently saw a recipe for homemade marshmallows on another blog too. it hinkt hat’s a sign I need to make them :)

Michelle Sexton December 7, 2011 at 2:03 am

I didn’t even know you could make marshmallows!!

Chris December 7, 2011 at 3:07 am

I saw Ina Garten make marshmallows on her show one day and I thought – “I’ll have to try that some time”. Then, as these things sometimes go, I forgot all about it. Now here it is popping up again and what a great time of year to try it. How great would they be in a gift basket with some gourmet cocoa a mug and some peppermint syrup or with everything you need to make s’mores? I think I even have a candy thermometer somewhere in my kitchen already! :D

Naomi A. December 7, 2011 at 3:50 am

So so good! Would be awesome to make someone some homemade marshmallows and hot chocolate mix for a Christmas gift! I think I’ll do just that…

Lauren Helen December 8, 2011 at 1:40 am

No one ever has to FORCE me to eat s’mores. I will gladly eat them at any time of day.
These look delicious – unfortunately I am NOT going to be purchasing a candy thermometer. Maybe for Christmas?

amanda December 17, 2011 at 11:38 pm

These are WAY better dipped in chocolate and nuts! or candy cane! or toasted Coconut!!!

Hannah December 21, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Hi, i have just made a batch of these and they are awesome, thank you so much for posting the recipe. I am in the uk, so i substituted the corn syrup with golden syrup and it worked out great. They came out a little golden so i marbled in some pink food colouring :) They are now all packaged up in glass jars ready for christmas gifts! Thanks Again!
Long time reader – first time poster :D

Amanda December 23, 2011 at 5:27 am

so, I just now came across your awesome link to my neglected blog (I was checking on my google analytics, hahaha), and thought I’d pop on over and say “hey!”. and, yes, those were seriously the best s’mores ever. good times.

congrats on the successful marshmallow making, I never doubted your talents. they look simply amazing! :)

Emma December 24, 2011 at 4:09 am

awe. :)

kittie kat December 26, 2011 at 3:23 am

My husband makes Guinness marshmallows. They are soooooooo good. Cheers to homemade marshmallows!

Kelsey Rene' December 30, 2011 at 3:38 pm

I’ve always been curious about making my own marshmallows…but it def always seemed intimidating! I’d love to add chocolate to these and have chocolate marshmallows. yumm-o!

~Kels

Noell March 26, 2012 at 2:30 am

Your marshmallows are gorgeous! I was excited to see them on your blog, hoping they’d be vegetarian, but they’re not. sigh. Oh well.

(btw, did you know gelatin isn’t vegetarian? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelatin)

I do buy some amazing vegan marshmallows but your homemade ones are so pretty! :)