Curried Pumpkin Soup

by Emma on December 13, 2011

in Dinner,Vegan

Soup. Toasted curry. Pumpkin. Warm rice… Fuzzy blankets. Snuggly pugs. Sentimental novels. Texted compliments. New nail polishes. Silly nieces. Best friend sisters. Eggnog lattes.

These are things that I love. In no particular order.

I. love. curries. I have been trying to perfect my curry making skills all year. It’s a goal I take very seriously.

Because it’s, like, really important.

This was really good, and really easy to make. This would be a great week night meal. But I made it on the weekend for lunch. Go figure.

Curried Pumpkin Soup, makes 3-4 servings

Needed: 3-4 shallots, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 red bell pepper, 1 can vegetable stock (low sodium), 1 can coconut milk, 1 can pumpkin puree, 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt, 1/4 teaspoon cumin, 2 tablespoons toasted curry powder. You will also need rice, lime and cilantro to serve.

First, toast your curry powder in a dry pan over medium/high heat just until it is very fragrant. Set aside. In a large pot, over medium/high heat, heat olive oil, add in diced shallots. Sprinkle in a little garlic salt. Once the shallots start to soften add in the diced bell pepper. Reduce the heat and add the pumpkin, vegetable stock and coconut milk. Stir in the ginger, cumin and toasted curry powder. Continue to cook until the soup is hot and has thickened slightly.

Serve over warm rice with a little chopped cilantro and a lime wedge.

Enjoy! xo. Emma

Kristen December 13, 2011 at 3:37 am

This sounds really good and I stocked up on cans of pumpkin when they were on sale for Thanksgiving.

shannon December 13, 2011 at 4:06 am

That looks so yummy! I’m going to try this.

paperpocket December 13, 2011 at 4:06 am

Oh God, that looks so good.

Bekuh December 13, 2011 at 4:08 am

I too take curry very seriously. I’m excited to try this recipe in the near future! Thanks for sharing the deliciousness.

dena miller December 13, 2011 at 4:35 am

sounds so yummy!!!!

Chelsey December 13, 2011 at 5:48 am

YES! This is making my mouth water. right. now. I will definitely be making this soon. And i made your baked spaghetti the other night which = awesome. One million thank you’s!

Sacha December 13, 2011 at 6:14 am

Mmmm… That look delicious.
I must bookmark this recipe, so thanks for sharing.

T December 13, 2011 at 7:56 am

any recipes for eggnog lattes??

Inna December 13, 2011 at 8:32 am

This looks so conforting. Perfect for a cold day.

hannah alehandra December 13, 2011 at 10:53 am

This looks wonderfully healthy, but more importantly delicious! Would love me some ‘o this.

sal December 13, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Hi emma that looks amazing! being asian I do enjoy my curries. I have made a chicken and butternut squash curry before and it was delicious but I am very much intrigued with this pumpkin dish. I have never seen pumpkin puree in a can here in the UK. Can I use pumpkin chunks instead? Ir is there any other alternative?

ps: i tried making your sugar cookies. They were really good! not too sweet which is perfect! :)

Violets and Cardamom December 13, 2011 at 2:57 pm

This looks amazing! And how great that it can be made so quickly!

Jillian@TheHumbleGourmet December 13, 2011 at 5:46 pm

I, too, adore curries. Looks so warm and delicious!

Meg Finch December 13, 2011 at 6:29 pm

That sounds delicious! Also, I love those dishes. Where are they from?

terrell December 13, 2011 at 8:31 pm

I don’t know why this just dawned on me since I’ve been reading your blog for a while, but are you a vegetarian? I was one for many years and am trying to get back on the bandwagon, so I really appreciate your veggie recipes. This one looks amazing…must try.

michy December 13, 2011 at 10:25 pm

emma, i just wanted to say i really, really love your blog. it’s such a perfect combination of subject matter and your tone is so refreshingly honest. xoxox.

Monica @ Soirees & Such December 14, 2011 at 12:03 am

I love curry too! and I love the differences in curries. Thai’s tend to be soupier because they use coconut milk and usually curry paste, as opposed to Indian curries that use the dry curry spice and tomatoes. They are both really good!

Delightfully Tacky December 14, 2011 at 2:44 am

I just made this for dinner tonight and it. was. awesome. I doubled the recipe and I now have enough leftovers for all week! Yay!

Emma December 14, 2011 at 4:19 am

A wife who is pretty and cooks, Dan is a lucky dude. ;)

Little Red Book December 14, 2011 at 7:30 am

Looks delicious and easy enough to make. Can’t wait to try this on my own.

rae - say it ain't so December 14, 2011 at 5:22 pm

mmm that looks so good! i don’t know if i’ve ever had pumpkin soup.
and cuddly pugs are my favorite right now. my two like to both be on my lap while i’m watching movies or doing internet stuff. it is so cozy!

The life after December 14, 2011 at 7:23 pm

It looks delicious!!

The Life After

kate December 14, 2011 at 11:41 pm

i made this last night and it was delicious! i’m not crazy about pumpkin, but i thought i’d like this since the curry powder and coconut milk balance out the pumpkin.

Abigail December 15, 2011 at 1:22 am

I loved this! Actually I’m still eating it right now. I piled on the cilantro (nice touch). Love how you can’t really OD on something vegan like this…(at least I think it’s vegan…) Thanks! And yes while it requires prep it wasn’t tricky at all. I appreciate that!

Toni December 15, 2011 at 10:38 am

Oooooh, I have to try this one! I am such a fan of curries, laksas, etc – the spicier the better! I did a post (http://lostcabinvintage.blogspot.com/2011/08/august-already.html) that featured a lovely laska recipe from my friend Emma a while ago – it is sooo delicious! And the cupcake push pops are the most amazing idea ever!
Toni

erin December 15, 2011 at 8:30 pm

this looks so delicious! i’m assuming the can of pumpkin is the smaller can? also, i buy vegetable bouillon so approximately, how many cups are in the can of vegetable stock? can’t wait to try this!

-erin

candace December 17, 2011 at 4:58 pm

I made this last night and it was a hit :) I omitted the red pepper, but added a can of garbanzos, some frozen peas, and a tomato sliced into wedges. The lime and cilantro were key! Thanks for the recipe.

LilyFair Drapery, Karen Hunt December 19, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Whoa! mouth is watering, must go make now!

Rhia January 3, 2012 at 4:48 am

Made this for dinner tonight! It was delish! I had to add extra cumin, cayenne, and red pepper flakes to jazz it up a bit as w/out it I thought it was kind of bland. I also used fresh garlic instead of the powdered kind and I threw in cilantro towards the end of the cooking process as well as added it on top. Lastly, I added in shrimp, but next time will throw in tofu. :) So good.