hair loss conditioner

Classic Sugar Cookies

by Emma on December 5, 2011

in Dessert

It’s getting to be that time of the year. You know. That time when it is totally necessary to bake WAY too many cookies and decorate them to look… uh… festive.

And then eat them.

And then drink some milk.

And then look at your kitchen sink that is filled up with sticky dishes and then decide that it’s time for you to leave the house to… uh… run errands.

I hate doing dishes. But that’s a whole different story. We are not here today to talk dirty dishes, oh no. This post is about sugar cookies, and decorating them with the ones you love.

My niece, Penny, helped me decorate some sugar cookies today. So just in case you were looking at the above picture and thinking, “Man, Emma. You sure do have some tiny fingers.”

Well, don’t you feel silly now. That’s totally my niece. Geez.

You can get really fancy with your sugar cookies, use tons of colored frostings and candy to make pretty designs and all that. Or you can stick to the classics, if you find yourself short of food dye because your kitchen cabinets just might be a bit too cluttered….

You can pipe on your frosting in pretty little circles.

You could use a smaller tip and pipe it on in zig zags, grids, or… uh… squiggles. And don’t forget the sprinkles!

Or you could just spread it on with a knife or off set spatula. Do your thing. Live your life.

My favorite: plain. Seriously. I love me a warm, unadorned sugar cookie with a small glass of milk. This is probably one of my favorite sugar cookie recipes, and it’s SUPER easy.

Classic Sugar Cookies, makes around 2 dozen (depending on the size and shapes you cut out).

Needed: 1 cups (2 sticks) softened butter, 1 cup powered sugar, 1 large egg, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 teaspoons salt and 2 1/2 cups flour.

Cream together the butter and sugar. Add the remaining ingredients and stir until a soft dough ball forms. Cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour (or more, up to two days) then roll out on a lightly floured surface and cut out your shapes. Bake at 375 F for 8-10 minutes, until the edges are just beginning to brown.

Enjoy! xo. Emma

P.S. If you wanna see some of the cutest sugar cookies I’ve ever seen check here!

Rae Veda December 5, 2011 at 6:03 am

These look delicious. I love making home made sugar cookies. Yum! Decorating them is the best part. xo, rv

grace December 5, 2011 at 6:04 am

I love to decorate with icing. I will bake cookies JUST to decorate the cookies but I never eat them because I don’t like icing. So, I totally share your favorite…PLAIN! But I just have SO much fun decorating!

Grace

Angie December 5, 2011 at 7:55 am

Mmmm! I love buttery, soft, melt in your mouth sugar cookies. Nom. These sound incredible! I can easily imagine sugar cookies decorated with white icing snowflakes, or white icing and candy pearls. Gorgeous!

teddi December 5, 2011 at 8:02 am

sweet little niece penny photos. have you noticed that sugar cookies are present at every holiday? they just change the cookie cutter, i have some memories i associate with sugar cookies of my mom, my best friend, my grandma, & my husband.

The life after December 5, 2011 at 8:22 am

That’s very sweet!!

The Life After

Newo December 5, 2011 at 9:06 am

I LOVE YOU! i have been searching for a simple recipe for sugar cookies for ages! thank you thank you thank you! :)

eef December 5, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Man, Emma. You sure do have some tiny fingers!

=P

Thank you for posting this, I’ve been looking for a good basic sugar cookie recipe! This year I’m sending my friends boxes of cookies and other tasty things, so I think these will be a great addition. =]

DaddyDonnie December 5, 2011 at 2:10 pm

I sure hope there are some left when we come over on Tuesday………….Cookies, Oh Yeah!

Emma December 5, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Sorry dad, we already ate them all. :(

Katia December 5, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Ouuuuuuu these are so beautiful! I’m definitely going to be making these for the holidays!

xo

krystie December 5, 2011 at 5:23 pm

you have inspired me to christen my kitchen aid mixer with these cookies tonight :) It’s still brand spanking new in the box! Can’t wait.
Thanks for ALWAYS inspiring me to cook/bake/be awesome.
x krystie

Emma December 5, 2011 at 6:26 pm

oh my, have fun! what an exciting event. :)

jules December 5, 2011 at 6:31 pm

its sugar cookie time this weekend. we add a little nutmeg to our recipe and it tastes fantastic! very pretty sprinkles.

Ana December 5, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Sugar cookies are my favorite! I just learned to make royal icing, so that’s my favorite way of eating it!

Mareen December 5, 2011 at 8:48 pm

I love making sugar cookies for every occassion. And it is always more fun with a little helper at my side =)

bubble-licorice December 5, 2011 at 9:00 pm

great recipe!
these cookies seem really tasty

Tania December 5, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Hey, those cookies look delicious, I’m definitely going to try that recipe this week :) Just a question, how did you make the icing?

Candace December 5, 2011 at 9:35 pm

I also hate doing dishes more than just about any other task…which is probably something every baker shares.
These are pretty, I like the look of white on white. Have you ever tried adding a little lemon extract to these? It’s gooooood :)

hannah alehandra December 5, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Thank you so much for the recipe! Looks soo good. Love sugar cookies, so traditional for Christmas in England.xo

Chelseabird December 6, 2011 at 12:07 am

Oh, these sound delicious! I’ll have to try them out! XO

M.E December 6, 2011 at 3:17 am

I love them simple too! These look absolutely delicious!! thanks for sharing :)

Jaclyn T December 6, 2011 at 3:43 am

Oddly, I enjoy doing dishes.

Jaclyn T
TrickArt Jewellery: Nature Inspired

Tertia December 6, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Ooooh yum!! May I just ask what ‘frosting’ actually is? Because here in the UK we have ‘icing’ and ‘buttercream’ Oh and regal icing & royal icing… but I don’t know the difference between them so uh yeah… we have icing and buttercream… + the two unknown ‘r’s… ;)
Do you have biscuits in America? Because I would call this a biscuit!!! So funny how such little things can be different!!
Anyway, looks awesomme!! xx

Meli (Blush + Jelly) December 6, 2011 at 6:28 pm

I also love sugar cookies! Its actually one of my favorite types of cookie. So yummy! I’ve never made sugar cookies from scratch, and I don’t know why because it looks so easy. :)

random cat December 7, 2011 at 11:39 am

i didn’t think your fingers were tiny i thought wow those cookies are big. and i hope you meant powdered sugar ’cause i seriously just spent time searching what is powered sugar :) english is not my first language. and also i was wondering how much butter is 2 sticks in grams approximately cause i can figure out all other measurements except for the butter and that always stops for making your recepies
thanks :)

Léa December 7, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Those sugar cookies look so delicious ! I’d like to pack them in small plastic bags and offer them for Chistmas but I don’t know if the icing is going to harden or if it’s going to stay soft and spread on the bag. I’m not used to cooking icing… What do you think about it ?

Emma December 7, 2011 at 5:24 pm

The icing will harden as it is exposed to air, but if you packed a few cookies in one bag I would bet they would smash a little bit. They will still taste awesome though, so I say go for it! I’d love to receive cookies from a friend, even if they got a little smudged along the way. ;)

Kristen December 9, 2011 at 3:39 am

Just finished making my share for a party for our air station’s christmas party. This has to be the easiest cookie recipe ever, not to mention that the results were fantastic. No more gritty sugar cookies, thank you!

Jo December 9, 2011 at 9:23 am

Hello! Love the sugar cookie recipe! Your icing looks great too, do you have a recipe you could share for that? I can never find a good one for sugar cookies! Thanks!

Manja December 9, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Yes, thanks for this recipe! I was just about to look for some good sugar cookies recipes because I am in the mood to bake some! :)

Reana Louise December 9, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Yum! I can’t wait to make these myself! :D x

Cha December 10, 2011 at 1:18 pm

I need to try this!! My recipe isn’t the best!!!

I love love love your recipes!!! ^^

Savannah Jual December 11, 2011 at 5:58 pm

This is an excellent recipe! My roommate and I made these cookies yesterday for the Christmas party we hosted and they were a hit! The consistency is perfect and they are just sweet enough! Thanks so much, Emma.

Kelley December 27, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Hi Emma…I am a faithful reader, and just had to tell you…I made these sugar cookies for Christmas this year, and they were DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Honestly the best thing I have ever made, so good. Thanks for sharing!!!