Gwyneth Paltrow’s Caramelized Brussels Sprouts

by Emma on November 15, 2011

in Side Dishes,Snacks,Vegan

You are witnessing history today, folks. This post stands as a marker for the very first time I ever ate brussels sprouts.

It’s true. I had never (as far as I know) eaten one until this weekend. I had heard they were something that many children detested. And, as a former picky eater myself, having over-come my dislike of raw tomatoes and runny eggs, I decided brussels sprouts was something that it was high time I looked into.

And guess what, these were AMAZINGLY delicious! I think I ate about half of the plate you see above (it was meant to serve 2-3 as a side dish). I thought it was similar to eating really good stir-fry cabbage.

I got this recipe straight out of Gwyneth Paltrow’s cookbook except that she suggests squeezing  little fresh lemon juice over them just before serving. I forgot to buy a lemon. These were still delicious, but I could tell the lemon juice really would have made my day.

So don’t forget to buy a lemon if you decide to make these.

And you should totally make these. So, so good. Healthy Thanksgiving side dish, anyone?

Gwyneth Paltrow’s Caramelized Brussels Sprouts, serves 2-3 as a side (maybe 4…)

Needed: 1 pound brussels sprouts, 2-3 tablespoons olive oil, a few heavy pinches of sea salt (and for goodness’ sake) a lemon for serving.

First you need to trim your sprouts if they have too much stem. Then steam them for 6-7 minutes until they are just beginning to turn bright green. Next you need to brown them in a shallow skillet with olive oil over medium/high heat. Lay them in the pan in one layer and just let them cook for 4-5 minutes. You can shake the pan a bit to make sure they don’t stick, but resist the temptation to flip them early. You want to get them slightly crispy, but try not too burn them. Then flip and cook an additional 3 minutes. I had to cook mine in two batches as my pan wasn’t large enough to fit them all.

Just before serving drizzle on a bit more olive oil, sprinkle on the sea salt, and (if you didn’t forget) squeeze on the juice from a lemon.

Rae Veda November 15, 2011 at 4:32 pm

I had something just like these for dinner last night! They were so yummy. This is by far my favorite vegetable. xo, rv

Jessi November 15, 2011 at 4:37 pm

I love her cookbook! I have made quite a few things from it – but haven’t tried these yet!

sian November 15, 2011 at 4:43 pm

hello! this i my favourite way to eat brussels sprouts! sometimes i add chestnuts into the mix!

Naomi A. November 15, 2011 at 4:46 pm

I could eat an entire package of brussels sprouts. They are by far my favorite dinner veggie – and I used to hate them when I was a kid!! Somehow, my toddler loves them though. He always eats them before anything else on his plate! They taste even more amazing cooked with butter :)

sal November 15, 2011 at 4:58 pm

i’ve just tried brussel sprouts last year and have been hooked since. My partner however hates them so we don’t really have it at home. These look super delicious though! xx

Kristen November 15, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Brussel sprouts are the only food I think I really don’t like but maybe I’ll give them another try. I do love Gwyneth!

Sarah Rooftops November 15, 2011 at 6:18 pm

I’ve had brussel sprouts countless times and only liked them once… but I think that’s because usually people overcook them until they’re soft and bogey-like and then don’t add anything to flavour them. This ALMOST tempts me to give them another go…

alli November 15, 2011 at 6:20 pm

I had brussel sprouts for the first time on Sunday. Delish! Thank you for posting fairly healthy recipes!

Chris November 15, 2011 at 6:33 pm

OMG! I make brussel sprouts almost the same way. I don’t steam them first – instead I toss them in olive oil, salt & pepper and cook them until just carmelized. I do like to hit them with lemon juice but I also like to add just a bit of parmesano reggiano just before serving as well – absolute Magic! This is also how I prepared them the first time I ever had them, and now I love them. I’ve only had fresh, in season, brussel sprouts so far and I pick very carefully when I’m at the store – I like them fairly small – they seem more sweet and tender. It’s funny, I was just thinking about posting my recipe on my blog – and here you are with it’s near twin!

Sarah Miller November 15, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Best veggie ever! I’m so glad you posted this because I’m always looking for new was to try these sprouts. I actually did a tiny post last month on my favorite way to eat them too. You should try it out now that you now you love them!

Kacie @ A Collection of Passions November 15, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Never had Brussels Sprouts?! Oh my goodness they are sooooo good! Love her cookbook too.

Kacie

Darlene November 15, 2011 at 9:51 pm

The first time I liked brussel sprouts they were roasted with basalmic…. so yum!!! All those years wasted hating them because they were boiled instead of roasted. They have become a family staple.

Bianca November 16, 2011 at 12:34 am

I’m not a big brussel sprout eater but these look wonderful! You have such a good sense of humour – I always crack a smile while reading your posts :) Must buy lemon!

katharine Camiili November 16, 2011 at 2:43 am

omigoodness!
I thought I was the only one! I didn’t eat them until I was way into adulthood.
For some reason we didn’t eat them growing up.
I love them now!

Shannon November 16, 2011 at 2:51 am

Okay, so I am weird because I love brussel sprouts!!! Can’t wait to try Gwyneth’s recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Gwen November 16, 2011 at 4:29 am

I just made them too after hating them as a child. Here’s my recipe if you want to check it out:

Missy November 16, 2011 at 4:45 am

Whoa. Those do look good and I have tried them and I don’t like them. These photos make me want to like them.

hannah alehandra November 16, 2011 at 10:02 am

Normally hate brussels but these look so delicious I’d try! Kiss from England.xo http://hannahalehandra.blogspot.com/

The life after November 16, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Lemon juice is great on Brussel sprouts! Nice recipe!

The Life After

Meli (Blush + Jelly) November 16, 2011 at 4:30 pm

I am a former picky eater as well (I still stay away from raw tomatoes, though) and have never tried Brussels Sprouts but this recipe has me intrigued. Think I will be trying these soon.

Jacqui MacNeill (Escents Aromatherapy Essential Oils) November 16, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Looks both simple and delicious! I’ve always found that lemon juice takes the bitter edge off brussel sprouts. Looking forward to trying this. Thanks for sharing! :)

DaddyDonnie November 16, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Love ‘Em! I half them and baked them quickly in the oven with olive oil. Simple and Oh So Good……..If you have never seen them grow in the garden, they are one of the strangest plants around!

Francesca's Collections November 16, 2011 at 10:54 pm

I hate Brussels Sprouts but I might try the recipe out to see if I can change my mind!

xoxo
Trang
Francesca’s Collections

dizzle November 17, 2011 at 3:24 am

brussel sprouts and turnips are my new favorite things. neither of which i tried until last year. now i roast brussel sprouts weekly in the oven, today i put them in a veggie pot pie (http://www.afterninetofive.net/2011/07/vegetarian-pot-pie-recipe/) and they are so good! i’m excited to try this recipe and steaming them!

leslie November 17, 2011 at 10:22 pm

I love brussels sprouts! The recipe is Appetite For Reduction is delicious too.

Julie November 17, 2011 at 11:08 pm

I LOVE BRUSSELS SPROUTS! I wait for this time of year and always hope that I can find them still on the stalk at the market. They go into my food that looks magical category, right next to figs. :)

Samantha November 18, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Ahh! These look delicious! I’ve always made this salad (http://smittenkitchen.com/2007/01/take-my-wife/) so I thought I’d share. Brussel Sprouts AND Cauliflower? Mmmm.

Robyn November 19, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Brussel sprouts are one of my favorite veggies! Here’s my favorite way to eat them: Trim and shred a pound of them (like slaw), then saute half an onion and 2 cloves of minced garlic in some olive oil until transparent. Throw in the brussel sprouts, with some salt and pepper, and saute an additional 5 – 6 minutes. I love them roasted and caramelized and braised, but these – shredded and sauteed – are by far my favorite! It lets the good flavors get all inside the brussel sprouts, not just on the outside.

Clare November 21, 2011 at 11:47 am

Ooh thanks for sharing. I had heard about Gwyneth P’s brussel sprouts and am definitely going to try these. Might wait and make them at Christmas!

Michelle November 24, 2011 at 11:36 pm

Thanks for the recipe! I had never had brussel sprouts before. Now I think I’ll try them more often! I found that I needed to steam them for longer than I did because they were still a little raw after I pan fried them. Awesome new discovery!

Sara-Kate February 17, 2012 at 10:31 am

I cook at a 4-star restaurant, and we recently added brussel sprouts to the menu- I realized I (at 24) have never tried them either, I think this is a sign that I have to! They look so good! I will have to give this recipe a try…

Just recently started following your blog, and I absolutely love it!