Busy Monsters

by Emma on November 17, 2011

in Books

I knew very little about this book when I started reading it. I had a vague idea (due to the title) that monster just might feature prominently in the story, and if I were being honest I’d have to say that I generally enjoy books with: vampires, werewolves, magic or other surreal elements. I’m into it. For sure.

And I’m happy to report that indeed, there are some pretty awesome monsters in Busy Monsters, mainly a giant squid, big foot, ghosts and the loch ness monster. But what this book is actually about is… well… love. And how it can sometimes make us go a little crazy.

The main character in this novel is a writer, and he talks like a writer. If you know what I mean. He uses words like, scoundrel or lollygagger in his everyday vernacular. And his absurd analogies and observations of the human actions around him are both adapt and hilarious at times. You will laugh during this book. You will probably also feel very sorry for Charles while you watch his life sort of spiral out of his control, in the name of love, of course.

This was a very enjoyable read. It may be a tiny bit elitist, but the characters and circumstances are so, strange, at times that story is quite engaging very fun to read.

What have you been reading lately?

SuZi November 17, 2011 at 6:40 pm

I’m all for monsters and strange things too. I read Ransom Riggs’ “Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children”. It’s a book for teenagers, but the story is gripping and surreal (and gets even surrealer and surrealer). And it features lots of awesome (manipulated) Victorian photographs to compliment the story. It’s worth to flick trough this book for these photos alone.

T November 17, 2011 at 6:55 pm

ooh will add it to my to-reads. You should check out Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese. So beautifully written.

Jaclyn T November 17, 2011 at 8:28 pm

MUST READ!

Graveminder by Melissa Marr is a nice read.

–Jaclyn T
TrickArt Jewellery: Nature Inspired

Anita November 17, 2011 at 8:53 pm

This sounds really good; thanks for a new addition to my very.long reading list!

I finally got around to starting ‘The Help’ the other day, but put it aside when I stumbled across ‘Imperfect Justice, Prosecuting Casey Anthony’ by Jeff Ashton yesterday. I confess to being one of the masses that was obsessed with the trial, and both appreciate and happen to agree with his viewpoint that Caylee got lost in the whole circus. it is a pretty good read!

eef November 17, 2011 at 9:22 pm

i haven’t read many fun books lately. =\ i am currently reading “my so called freelance life” which is good. i’ve been watching The Vampire Diaries and am wondering if I should read the books… or if they are too different and it would bother me. =\

Michal Lynn November 17, 2011 at 11:29 pm

This book sounds good! I’m always looking for new reads. Lately I’ve been into a lot of comedic memoirs. I’m currently reading Mindy Kaling’s book and I just finished Mike Birbiglia’s book “Sleepwalk with Me.” Before that it was A LOT of David Sedaris…I’m saving Holidays on Ice for after Thanksgiving!

I was curious, though, since you read a lot, if you have a Kindle or Nook? I just did a post on my blog about whether or not I should take that plunge or continue purchasing actually books (I’m swaying towards the latter, but I want to keep an open mind about e-readers all the same).

Nikki November 17, 2011 at 11:45 pm

I just finished How to Love an American Man by Kristine Gasbarre. Oh man was it good. I also just before that finished Falling Together by Marisa de los Santos. I love love love her books. This one just came out and I had it on pre-order.

Chris November 18, 2011 at 3:19 am

I’m into paranormal fiction too – particularly urban fantasy type. However, right now I’m reading Luka and the Fire of Life – by Salman Rushdie. So far, it reads a bit like a fairy tale. We’ll see. I’m also really into audiobooks right now and I’m currently listening to Peach Cobbler Murder by Joanne Fluke – her books are great because they’re full of recipes for the goodies the main character sells in her cookie/coffee shop.

rae - say it ain't so November 19, 2011 at 12:24 am

i like my books with monsters and vampires too. have you read the mortal instruments series by cassandra claire? they are pretty amazing, the kind of books that make you want to stay up all night reading! I also just finished all the published books in the parasol protectorate series by gail carringer and loved them! i read this description somewhere “Alexia Tarabotti is laboring under a great many social tribulations. First, she has no soul. Second, she’s a spinster whose father is both Italian and dead. Third, she was rudely attacked by a vampire, breaking all standards of social etiquette. ” and i knew i had to read them!

Michelle November 19, 2011 at 10:44 pm

I just started reading The Elegance of the Hedgehog which has been made into a really great movie, I heard. The first few chapters were kind of tough because I had to look up a word every other sentence but it gets easier and is said to be a really worthy read. So far, I have enjoyed it. Ut’s very witty and funny!

Bird November 21, 2011 at 10:02 am

I’ll be honest I’m not a big fan of other-worldy-vampires-and-monsters books but I do like a well written story and frankly am willing to try any book that can use the word “lollygagger” in context…

I am currently reading Story of Tibet: Conversations with the Dalai Lama by Thomas Laird, as well as The End of the Affair by Graham Greene… I am terrible for reading more than one thing at once…

Birdie x

P.S. Love that you do Book Reviews, I also do them on my blog (which is normally about travelling as am currently in Thailand, south east Asia trying out a nomadic lifestyle) – http://fly-away-birdie.blogspot.com/search/label/Book%20Love. Am always awaiting your next review!

Alanna Lowe November 22, 2011 at 1:08 am

Ok it’s officially been added to my iPhone notes so I remember to grab it on my next trip to Barnes and Noble. Thanks for the hot tip! I typically enjoy all the books teachers forced students to read in high school like ‘To Kill A Mockingbird’ and ‘Catcher In The Rye’ but I’m also not above the latest teen novels. I’ll admit, one of my most recent reads was The Hunger Games Trilogy and, yes, you should read them!! Trust me, you won’t regret it.

Liz March 15, 2012 at 8:50 pm

I’m surprised that I had not heard of this book before, it sounds right up my alley. I’ll be sure to check it out – Thanks!