Butternut Apple Soup

by Emma on October 25, 2011

in Soup,Vegan

I recently acquired a Hand Blender and I have been itching to use it more. I’ve been absolutely dying to get my soup on. If you know what I mean.

And I realized the other day I had never really made anything with butternut squash before. (Gasp!) I know, right? Weird. So I had to remedy that.

Oh-and I don’t know if I got a really tough butternut squash or it this is just something that no one ever tells you but… I thought it was REALLY difficult to chop up. Raw butternut squash was quite the battle, if you ask me. I ended up wrapping mine in aluminum foil and baking it for a while, just to soften it enough to cut up. So if you run into that problem too, don’t be ashamed. Just bake that squash until he is ready to come out of his shell.

Butternut Apple Soup, serves 3-4, recipe adapted from Bon Appetit.

Needed: 1/2 chopped onion, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, 2 lbs cubed butternut squash, 1 can (about 2 cups) low-sodium vegetable broth, 1 gala appple (peeled, cored, and cubed), 1/4 cup apple juice.

In a medium/large size pot or dutch oven, over medium heat saute the onions in the oil and nutmeg until they begin to soften (3-4 minutes). Add the squash, apple, broth and apple juice and bring to a low boil. Cover and reduce the heat to a simmer and just let it cook for 20-25 minutes. Now use your Hand Blender to puree the soup, you could also do this in a blender or food processor by working in batches. Be careful when you work with hot liquids as it really hurts if you splash yourself. True that.

Serve garnish with a little pepper or nutmeg, maybe a dollop of greek yogurt or sour cream. Eat with warm bread. Amen.

eeny October 25, 2011 at 6:18 pm

Yum, sounds soo good. I have to try it. Guess I need to go to the farmer’s market tomorrow and get some butternut squash. =)

Frankie October 25, 2011 at 6:31 pm

This soup sounds delicious. I’ve been thinking about purchasing a hand blender so I can make creamy soups more easily, but I haven’t gotten one yet. I also have several butternut squash (like 5-6) sitting on my counter waiting to be made into something yummy. I’ve delayed cooking them because of the battle necessary to get them out of their shell. :)

April October 25, 2011 at 7:14 pm

That soup looks Yummy!
Today I am making your arugula and cheddar strata!
The other day I made the baked pumpkin oatmeal,
which by the way was awesome!
Thanks for all your easy to follow, delicious recipes:)

chelsea October 25, 2011 at 8:29 pm

i got a hand blender a few months ago and i’ve been waiting for this chilli weather to start making soups!! can’t wait for this one!

Naomi A. October 25, 2011 at 8:33 pm

This looks perfect! And I have the exact same issue with butternut squash, so I hardly ever cook with it. My arms actually feel sore after cutting one up!

Susan October 25, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Just pierce the squash a couple times with a fork and put it in the microwave until it feels tender (much quicker than the oven). You can also cut it in half, put it cut sides down into a microwave safe bowl add a little water and cook until tender enough to make it easy to work with. I love all winter squash but HATE how hard they are to get into.
The soup looks great!

Franne October 25, 2011 at 8:42 pm

Squash + apple! I’d never even thought of that.

I made Roasted Butternut Squash Soup the other day and my recipe has you half the squash (just one big chop), oil/salt/pepper it, and roast it in the oven for 45 minutes. Then the squash just needs to be scooped out! Plus it really brings out the flavour :)

CJ October 31, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Franne – what a great tip!

Emma, I guess fall brings out the soup in all of us. I’ve never been a big squash fan, but I’ve been wanting to give squash another chance and thinking about a squash & apple cider soup. I don’t have a hand blender, but I’m pretty sure my blender will manage ok. Anyway, it looks yummy & hearty – just the thing for fall.

Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes October 25, 2011 at 10:49 pm

That soup looks so yummy and warm! It’s so cold today where I’m at and that looks like the perfect dinner. :)

Jeri bills October 26, 2011 at 12:48 am

Boil a big pot of water in a Dutch oven. Drop the butternut squash in it and boil for 5 minutes. Remove, run under cool water to handle. Peel like a cucumber! Easy to cut!

Georgia October 26, 2011 at 2:29 am
Fee October 26, 2011 at 8:41 am

I love butternut, so I definitely have to try that one. I just made a butternut sweet potatoe soup with cinnamon. Yum!

Jill Riter October 26, 2011 at 8:56 am

Just love this sort of soup, especially this time of year! Your post makes it look particularly inviting.

Eleni Drikns Tea October 26, 2011 at 9:56 am

Oh yes, they are tough little butternuts! I eat them all the time, though – they last for a really long time, even once they’re cut in half, which is the sort of committment I expect from my vegetables.

Johnny October 26, 2011 at 4:06 pm

This is the kind of recipe I’ve been looking for quite some time!
Thank you for posting it.

JJ

Sarah October 26, 2011 at 10:29 pm

I’ve made a version of this with lots of cayenne before. It’s a great spicy winter soup!

Lauren Helen October 27, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Looks delicious! Thanks for the recipe!

lydia October 28, 2011 at 9:48 pm

yum! this looks DELICIOUS! I have to try this out and YES! your not the only one…..squash are HARD to cut!

THE-LOUDMOUTH October 30, 2011 at 10:29 am

Awesome. I’ve never made my own soup, I’m all about the can. I gotta try this, though!

Amy Powell October 31, 2011 at 10:40 pm