Arugula and Cheddar Strata

by Emma on October 21, 2011

in Breakfast

I recently acquired a few ramekins and I am now OBSESSED with using them.

I think I’ve made, like 3 different dishes this week where I used my new ramekins.

Gotta break them in an all. :)

This strata was one of those dishes, and I love how it is sort of breakfast, maybe a lunch, or possibly a dinner meal. (I ate it around 3 pm one day, in case you were wondering.) Sometimes I wake up in the mood for lasagna, or something equally un-breakfast-y. So I like meals that can double as either, makes me feel more normal. :)

You could customize this to your favorite flavors or whatever you have on hand. For example, you could use spinach instead of arugula, or provolone instead of cheddar. I used wheat bread, you could use white. Live your life. Do your thing.

Arugula and Cheddar Strata, makes about 4 servings (mind filled 4 ramekins, even though I only pictured 2 above)

Needed: 4 slices of bread (stale or toasted is preferred), 2 cups milk, 3 eggs, 1/2 cup chopped arugula leaves, 3/4 cup shredded cheddar, salt and pepper to taste.

Remove the crusts from your bread and cut it up into small cubes. Place these cubes of bread and chopped arugula in well-greased ramekins or a small casserole dish.

In a bowl whisk together the milk, eggs, 1/2 cup cheddar plus a pinch of both salt and pepper. Pour the egg mixture over the bread crumbs, try to coat all of them evenly. Give your ramekins (or baking dish) a tap or two on the counter so that the egg mixture can settle through all the crevices. Top with a little more cheddar and pepper. Bake at 350 F for 20-25 minutes.

girlxoxo October 21, 2011 at 6:01 pm

I know what you mean – I have white ramekins & small white squarish plates from Ikea that I use for everything in the kitchen – from meal prep to plating sandwiches.

Kacie @ A Collection of Passions October 21, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Yum. I have a cold today and would love to eat that for breakfast. I wish my husband could come home from work and make it for me! We make strata every Christmas. Love it.

Kacie

ねこちゃん October 21, 2011 at 6:59 pm

this looks truly delicious! the ramekins are so pretty! I wish I had some too!

Sonia October 21, 2011 at 8:13 pm

Hi Emma,
I love you blog;)
I’m from Poland and I started watchin’ You about mont ago i I really like your style and Elsie ;)
I think that you would liek this http://www.flickr.com/photos/cakespy/6250372129/
Have a great weekend
Sonia

Crissy October 21, 2011 at 8:53 pm

Ooo! I must try this. I have a bunch of arugula growing in my backyard. Thanks, Emma!

Rachel October 21, 2011 at 9:13 pm

this looks DELICIOUS.

oh my gosh. i don’t like arugula, and neither does my husband, so we might do with with spinach or broccoli instead.

Anita October 21, 2011 at 11:46 pm

They look so delish! I think I will try these this weekend; I bought ramekins to make yummy stuff in, but I always seem to just use them to hold condiments. Boring! Thanks for this! xo

teddi October 22, 2011 at 12:12 am

we used to eat cheese strata every christmas morning for breakfast. now are you gonna show us that lasagna recipe? is it with or without the ramekins?

irene October 22, 2011 at 1:22 am

reallly love yummy.. can i try it? :)
Irene Wibowo

allie o'bannon October 22, 2011 at 4:16 am

oh yum! that looks amazing.

grace October 22, 2011 at 4:34 am

ooooo…this looks fantastic

-grace

Jenna October 22, 2011 at 7:34 am

Thanks for the dinner idea! Was feeling uninspired as we didn’t have the right ingreds for what I wanted to make so I came on here and voila we now have dinner in the oven:) Asparagus is just starting to come into season here in nz so I used that in place of the rocket (arugula). Will serve it with a spinach, tomato salad and a beer. My saturday night is now complete:)

My first ‘Emma recipe’ too – thanks again!

Lauren October 22, 2011 at 11:30 am

I have tons of ramekins, and I love using them. I make individual mushroom and Madeira pies in them mostly. SO GOOD.

Molly Halloran October 22, 2011 at 4:31 pm

This looks so tasty! I can’t wait to try it! Thanks for sharing!

Gwen October 23, 2011 at 12:08 am

How easy and fancy at the same time! You make this a million different ways…thanks for the idea!

Célèste October 23, 2011 at 6:01 pm

I adore ramekins too. I actually just made spicy mac and cheese in some. Post here: http://fashionisevolution.blogspot.com/2011/10/spicy-mac-and-cheese.html

But my favorite thing to make in them in French onion soup. I can’t wait to do that now that the weather is getting chilly! :) `

Collette Osuna October 24, 2011 at 1:58 am

Oh my LAWD does this look yummy!!! Totally up my alley..Im a vegetarian always hunting new recipes!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Win a FAB frock from Shabby Apple!!

Steph October 24, 2011 at 4:48 am

Ramekins totally rule. Your arugula and cheddar strata sounds especially appealing with the recent weather. :)

Madeleine October 24, 2011 at 9:51 pm

First off, I adore your blog and the delicious and pretty things you post on it. However, is there a print option I’m missing? I like to keep really tasty recipes I find printed out… i also have been known for dripping food on my laptop as I cook and read the recipe….
Thanks and keep up the awesome blog!

Kimbercrafts October 26, 2011 at 12:06 am

Oh yum! I am totally going to make some this weekend. Thanks for sharing!