Laughing in my car like no one is watching…

by Emma on September 28, 2011

in Books

As you know, I like to ‘review’ books I’ve been reading here on my blog. That’s right. It’s a real thing. It’s happening. You can see my archives here, in case you are a non-believer.

I love reading. But every once in a while I will elect to listen to a specific book on CD. I listen to it while driving around in my car from work or doing errands. And I decided to listen to Bossypants (instead of read) because I saw that Tina Fey was the voice. So she wrote and read this book to me, talk about going the extra mile. Eh?

If you’ve been reading this blog long you probably know that I like to (try and) make jokes. I like to laugh, a lot. And I like to make others laugh, if possible. Not that I’m very good at it. But Fey is extremely good at it-I was laughing along to this book for a whole week while I listened to it. It made running errands across town totally fun. I particularly loved the first 1/3 of the book where she focuses on stories from her childhood and adolescence.

Awkward teenage years. Yeah, who doesn’t know a little about that?

So if you want to read something relaxing that will totally make you giggle you should check out Bossypants. It’s great. :)

Carrie Rosalind September 28, 2011 at 5:29 pm

This book has been on my “books to read” list for a long time, but now that I know that she reads the audio version, I’m totally going to listen!

Amy Rene September 28, 2011 at 6:01 pm

I loved Bossypants! I may have to track it down on CD to listen to on my next road trip, though. I didn’t realize Tina Fey did the “reading”!

Laura September 28, 2011 at 6:05 pm

The little bits I read while in Target one time where HILARIOUS! I love Tina. ;) Listening on cd would be so much fun!

Melissa September 28, 2011 at 6:19 pm

I LOVED Bossypants! More of a casual Tina Fey fan but it was still a great fun enjoyable read.

Sarah M September 28, 2011 at 6:29 pm

I also read that and laughed out loud many, many times!
Sarah M

jooleedoh September 28, 2011 at 6:30 pm

i loved that book SO much! and i agree, the childhood/adolescent years were my favorite parts in the book. i didn’t realize tina fey narrated the audiobook version until after i read it, but i might just have to go ahead and get it, anyway.

Marisa September 28, 2011 at 6:30 pm

That’s so cool that Tina Fey did her own audio. I’m pretty picky when it comes to audio books, some people just read weird! I know I would love listening to her though.

Kathi September 28, 2011 at 7:37 pm

I totally think you’re great at making people laugh! I love your outfit posts and recipes, but the main reason I’m checking your blog daily is that it’s hilariously funny! Reading your blog feels like chatting with a really funny and very nice friend! ;)

Allie O'Bannon September 28, 2011 at 7:50 pm

I can’t wait to read this! It’s been on my To Read list for a while!

Gina_AcuteDesigns September 28, 2011 at 8:01 pm

I just finished listening to this today and loved it. I love Tina Fey and I love audio books. I listen to a few a week while I work.

Jess Lonett September 28, 2011 at 8:24 pm

i loved bossy pants! i wanted to laugh out loud at everything. i really wish i could quote this book from memory. i may have to find the audio version too!

grace September 28, 2011 at 8:41 pm

on my need to read list!

-grace

teddi September 28, 2011 at 8:41 pm

i’ve heard nothing but good things about this book, from real life people, not just virtual ones. ;) i wonder when it’ll be available at the library. yeah, i’m kinda cheap like that.

Anita September 28, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Thank you so much for writing this! I love, love to listen to books on my ipod while I am working around the house and yard, but it’s sometimes hard to find a book that’s a good listen. I will be downloading this on Audible later; I have lots of yard work planned in the next few days while the rain takes a break, and can’t wait to laugh through it!
xo, Anita

marla September 28, 2011 at 9:50 pm

i loved this book! i read it in two days. i probably could have read it in less time if i didn’t have to sleep…i didn’t want to put it down!

Rae Veda September 28, 2011 at 10:36 pm

This looks so silly and funny! I may have to get it. xo, rv

rae - say it ain't so September 28, 2011 at 11:59 pm

i loved bossy pants too! i need to get the audio book because i bet that makes it ever better.
have you listened to the david sedaris books on tape? the books are hilarious anyway, but david reads his books for the audiobooks and i love them so much! i’ve listened to me talk pretty 5 times i bet!

Nina September 29, 2011 at 1:18 am

I’ve read it! I laughed so hard I cried (literally) through the first four chapters. The other half I read on a plane, and I’m pretty sure everyone was wondering what in the world I thought was so funny. Tina Fey is kind of my hero.

Kara September 29, 2011 at 5:44 am

I was HYSTERICAL throughout the entire book…I even had to leave a coffee shop where I was reading it one day because I was laughing so hard I was crying, which was super embarrassing in public. I can only imagine how funny it is with her reading!!

Sarah Rooftops September 29, 2011 at 7:57 am

I loved that book – one of about three that I’ve ever bought in hardback because I just could.not.wait for the paperback.

I’m really curious to see your awkward teenage years… there must be a blog post in that?!

Rosie September 29, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Thanks for suggesting Bossypants. I downloaded the sample and couldn’t stop laughing. Can’t wait to finish reading it. I needed something like this to read to cleanse my palate after the last two duds I read!

Elizabeth@rosalilium September 29, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Yes! I have been meaning to read this for ages, thank you for reminding me. I might even listen to it, instead.

Little Gray Pixel September 30, 2011 at 6:27 am

Haha, I just finished reading this book the other day. (I read my version on Kindle.) I laughed out loud a lot.

Mariana September 30, 2011 at 5:26 pm

I love a good book as well, and have never actually listened to an audio version though it seems pretty convenient considering the amount of time I spend in my car these days. Tina Fey is hilarious, I’ll have to check it out. PS if you haven’t already you should check out Chelsea Handler’s books.

Leminh October 1, 2011 at 1:16 am

Thank you for this! I have no time to read anymore so I listen to as many books on tape as possible. I get my books from the library so it’s not expensive either. And I am definitely requesting this one from my library! can’t wait to listen to it!!

Marie-Claire October 1, 2011 at 10:49 am

Oo I haven’t read in aaages so love your idea to listen to this. Love Tina Fey!

Jaime October 2, 2011 at 5:57 pm

Your review made me pop over to my library’s website and add Bossypants to my request list! The audio version, of course. : )

Lindsay Weasley October 3, 2011 at 5:35 am

I’ve really been wanting to get some audio books (well, mostly wanting Harry Potter audio books) but I’m adding this to the list of wants!

margot October 3, 2011 at 8:02 pm

ohhhh i audio’d that one too! IT’S SO GOOD! you should audio rob lowe’s audiobiography next. also excellent!

rita October 5, 2011 at 1:35 am

I had no idea that she was on audio! I read her book in a cafe and I could not stop laughing out loud. Like laugh out loud I’m sorry I’m ruining the other patrons coffee time.

Grace October 10, 2011 at 5:16 am

I just finished reading this too! It’s a very fun read.
Although I’ve been really into audio books lately too (hello: Friday Night Knitting Club!), I read this one on paperback.
Actually, hardback.
And large print. The wait was SO much shorter for it at the library :)

Grace October 10, 2011 at 5:18 am

And, like Rita, I read it in public (on an Amtrak train) and had to attempt in vain covering a laughing fit with coughing at one point :)