Peach Mojitos

by Emma on August 9, 2011

in Drinks

Confession: I’m not a very good… uh… cocktail-maker, mixologist, bar…. men? I just don’t really have a nack for it, and in the past I’ve had a few disastrous experiences trying to make my own cocktails.

I think part of it is due to the fact that I am, by nature, a wine drinker. I mean, if you don’t like cake how can you reasonably expect to be a naturally good baker? It just doesn’t add it. But I like cocktails, and I really like the idea of being one of those hostesses who can have a few folks drop by on a whim and just wow them with her perfectly clean house, amazing (in quantity and taste) through-together-at-the-last-minute food, and cocktails that make them swoon.

I feel fairly comfortable I can currently accomplish maybe one of those above things… I’ll let you decide which one.

These peach mojitos turned out very very good! My sister is a mojito freak and she approved, so that’s saying something. And here’s what I think the secret is: simple syrup.

I know, it’s sort of pain because it’s a total make-ahead, but it really makes a huge difference. It allows the sugar to magically dissolve into the entire drink, not just the bottom layer or… ahem… at all. It’s worth the trouble, turns out. And it’s really VERY simple to make and can be saved in the refrigerator for days and days. So, yes you have to go the trouble to plan a little, but that’s really not so bad when the result could be a whole week of awesome homemade cocktails.

Peach Mojitos, makes 8-10

Needed: 6 cups frozen (and thawed) peaches, 2 teaspoons lime zest, juice of 8 limes, 1 cup simple syrup*, 2/3 cup packed and chopped mint leaves, 3 cups white rum (I used pineapple run), 7 cups club soda, lots of ice and a few mint springs for garnish.

In a blender combine the peaches, lime zest and lime juice. Puree. In a big pitcher combine the remaining ingredients (except ice and the garnish springs) let that chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to an hour before serving. Pour over lots of ice and serve.

*To make simple syrup combine equal parts water and sugar and simmer until well combined and it thickens. I used 1/2 cup water to 1/2 cup sugar for this recipe.

And remember to drink responsibly. :) xo. Emma

Katie August 9, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Mmm! If only I was 21.

Meli (Blush + Jelly) August 9, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Oh I love mojitos! I’ve never had a peach one though but I think time has come to try it out. ;) I recently discovered how amazing simple syrup is. I always try to keep a little jar in the fridge – its perfect for cocktails and lemonade!

Lauren August 9, 2011 at 3:32 pm

These look awesome. I am also a really terrible cocktail-maker. I almost never drink unless it’s a special occasion, and embarrassingly enough the only alcoholic things I make well are bloody marys and jello shots. I’m keeping this one bookmarked for future use. I love peaches!

grace August 9, 2011 at 5:25 pm

yum yum yum

-grace

Kacie August 9, 2011 at 5:37 pm

That looks so yummy. Also, you just made me realize that I haven’t had a mojito all summer! What’s wrong with me!? Good thing my Puerto Rican BFF is coming to visit. Time to buy some rum!

Kacie

AJK August 9, 2011 at 7:11 pm

I’m terrible at mixing drinks as well! Luckily I have an ex-bartender boyfriend who will generally mix something up for me if I ask really nicely. It’s been one of my goals for a while though to find one cocktail recipe that I can learn to make really well so I have something I feel confident making for guests in a pinch.

Jessica Ann August 9, 2011 at 7:23 pm

These look so gorgeous and delicious. May I make one suggestion? It is four simple words: brown sugar simple syrup. It is a game changer.
xx

Gaby August 9, 2011 at 8:16 pm

that simple syrup also goes great on vanilla ice cream- just in case one needed more justification for making it ahead of time and saving it for a rainy day.

Rae Veda August 9, 2011 at 9:56 pm

Do you make up most of your recopies yourself or do you find them usually? All of the ones I’ve tried so far have been so delicious. I’ve been making them vegan (:

xo, rae veda

Nicole August 10, 2011 at 11:38 am

I love mojitos!

Kisses from Hong Kong,
Nicole

Terri August 10, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Hello there, I just found your blog and I’m enjoying going back to read pass posts. Regarding the simple syrup, yes it’s a pain to make but it also keeps well in the fridge for awhile. I make enough each week to fill a empty wine bottle that I fitted with a pour spout for ease of use. We drink A LOT of iced coffees and ice tea in my house, so having simple syrup on hand is a huge plus. You can also make flavored syrups by adding either fruit or herbs to it and letting it steep, just strain out the fruit before you store it. I make lemon and raspberry flavored ones that I use to make either lemon-aid ( just add water to the syrup) or raspberry ice tea. I’m experimenting with making a mint flavored one, since I have a ton of fresh mint growing in my garden this year.

Emma August 11, 2011 at 2:02 am

Terri-what great ideas! I was just trying to think up other uses for simple syrup because I probably only make myself a cocktail once a week or less… but I’m an AVID coffee drinker so that would be perfect. :)

CHICKYTHING August 10, 2011 at 8:15 pm

I super love the glass jars!

lisa August 10, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Mojitos are my fave, totally going to make these for a dinner party next week! Working on my mixology skills too! :)

Cassie August 10, 2011 at 11:58 pm

Yes, I’ll be making these. I, too, am a mojito lover, and need to find a few variations.

Thanks!

P.S. Lovely blog. :)

Keyon December 13, 2011 at 2:17 am

That really captures the sipirt of it. Thanks for posting.

Julia August 11, 2011 at 12:38 am

Emma, please come out with your own recipe book! It would be a staple in my home (and maybe it would even get me into the kitchen)!

xx.

Emma August 11, 2011 at 2:00 am

awe, julia-you are too too kind. :)

Jaclyn August 11, 2011 at 12:52 am

Yum! I love how you photographed these too, they’re so cute.

Ana August 11, 2011 at 10:56 pm

Mmmmmm…. My husband loves mojitos and peaches, I’m sure he’ll like these!! Love how you displayed them!!

Hanushka I August 13, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Love your blog and adore your posts. Going to make these babies. Thank you for the recipe.

H
xx

Alicia August 13, 2011 at 4:35 pm

I love making mojitos… without alcohol :) my friends and I love making raspberry mojitos when she comes over… I bet the peach tastes awesome

Erisha August 14, 2011 at 4:47 am

now that looks simply refreshing! i think i’d like a mojito…in a jar please :)

marie-claire August 14, 2011 at 5:33 am

yum i can’t wait to try this ! peach drinks are my fav x

Nadeira August 15, 2011 at 10:02 am

I’m loving the idea of cocktails in jars…ridiculously cute!! Im gonna give these mojitos a try they look amazing!

Katarina September 13, 2011 at 10:54 am

Looks great! I love Mojitos, and especially peach as a fruit :) Great job!