Fettuccine Alfredo (with Capers)

by Emma on August 18, 2011

in Dinner

I’m usually a tomato-sauce kind of gal. That is, if the choices are between a creamy white sauce and a hearty tomato sauce then I usually go for the latter.

I am aware there are other sauce options out there, I’m just not acknowledging them in this post. For no good reason. Just for the record.

But I am also a big fan of variety. Or at least, I say I am and then try to put it into practice.

See, I do this thing were I develop a food obsession. And then I pretty much eat only that for weeks and weeks until I’m nearly sick of it. Currently I’m obsessed with fish tacos from this place in town called the Purple Burrito. (Which is double weird for me as I’m usually a vegetarian. I sometimes will eat fish, but lately I’ve been eating it a lot.) One week I got fish tacos from there 4 times. That’s 4 times in 7 days. I have it bad!

Other food obsessions have included: blueberry bagels and string cheese, macaroni, tomato sauce pasta, etc.

But weird food obsession habits aside, I really do love a good alfredo sauce. So I decided to work out a little homemade recipe for it and it was divine, if I do say so myself.

Homemade Alfredo sauce, makes enough for 1 pound of pasta.

Needed: 3 tablespoons butter, 2 tablespoon greek yogurt, 1 cup heavy cream, 2 egg yolks, 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper to taste, and capers (optional).

In a small pot melt the butter and then pour in the cream and yogurt. Cook on low heat for a few minutes until it warms. In a small bowl whisk together the egg yolks, spoon in a small amount of the warm cream mixture and stir. Now pour the yolk mixture into the pot and stir together. You want to turn up the heat here, but do not let the sauce boil or the yolks will curdle. While it’s heating up stir in salt, pepper and drained capers. Once it hot and has thickened up a bit (5-8 minutes) serve with fettuccine pasta and enjoy!

Tammy August 18, 2011 at 2:18 pm

That looks amazing! I love capers- who knew such a little thing could pack on so much flavor?

steph August 18, 2011 at 2:24 pm

I also get hung up on foods for weeks at a time (though this can sometimes be attributed to my laziness as much as a craving…). As it happens, I’ve had a recent hankering for Alfredo sauce- thanks for sharing! :)

Anita August 18, 2011 at 2:38 pm

This sounds wonderful! I have a recipe of my own for Alfredo sauce, but am excited to try yours. I never thought to put capers in it, and I bet it’s delicious!
Thank you for sharing your food obsessions! When you are over one, are you done done with it? My mister goes through stages where he wants something every day, then with no warning he is over it, and I am stuck with a refrigerator or cupboard full of something that he can’t eat one more bite of.
xo

Katie August 18, 2011 at 2:52 pm

I’m not a fan of capers…but I may have to try a few :)

rental mobil August 18, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Very nice, thanks for sharing.

Lara August 18, 2011 at 3:10 pm

I do the same thing!! Get obsessed and sicken myself. Recently it’s been vegetable currys and peanut butter. Glad there is someone else like me!

Melanie August 18, 2011 at 3:41 pm

I totally understand the part of getting obsessed about a certain kind of food for a while. been there. often.
The Alfredo looks/sounds great. At the moment I am making your pizza dough though (it’s standing and doing the miracle) :-D tell ya how it was later.

xoxoxo
Melanie

Jaclyn T August 18, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Oooo…I like the idea of using Greek yoghurt!

–Jaclyn T
I won a $25 gift certificate to the Steamy Kitchen Shop…but they don’t ship to Canada. I’m giving it away on my blog:

Kacie August 18, 2011 at 3:49 pm

I loooove your obsessions. I am such an avid cook and food lover and your blog is always simple, refreshing and fun.

Kacie

Hannah K August 18, 2011 at 4:37 pm

that’s because Purple Burrito is AMAZING! My vegetarian self also likes to get the California Burrito without the meat and extra hot sauce! A burrito with french fries? Awesome.

chelsea August 18, 2011 at 7:10 pm

fettuccine alfredo is my all time favorite, but i never allow myself to have it! gosh its been years!
i mayyyy have to do a comeback and use this recipe. i love to add peas or broccoli to my fettuccine afredo too!

Andrew Ross August 19, 2011 at 1:02 am

YES! Purple Burrito has amazing fish tacos! Every time I’m in Springfield, I almost always stop off and grab one. They’re pretty cheap, too. I first had them the week after Jeremy’s album release show. They’re glorious.

staklene bombone August 19, 2011 at 11:18 am

I’ve just found your website and I have to say it’s pretty much amazing:))) I’m vegan so the majority of recepies may not be for me, but nevermind – I really like its ambient and appreciate its beauty.
thanks for all that kindness hanging in the air!

Melanie August 19, 2011 at 2:47 pm

pizza was great!! :) just thought I’d tell ya

xoxoxo
Melanie

Sarah August 19, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Yum! A big bowl of alfredo is always so comforting.

xo,

Sarah

Terri August 20, 2011 at 12:18 am

Looks yummy ! I make something like that but I use pancetta instead of capers. Will be tossing in a few of those next time :0)

Alexandra August 20, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Omgosh it looks soooooo yummmy!!! mmmmh :)
xo

Alison :) August 21, 2011 at 6:32 am

Yes!! The Purple Burrito is SO GOOD!! My mom, sister and I visited Springfield recently, and we tried out The Purple Burrito on a whim. It was near our hotel, and it turned out to be a BRILLIANT choice. I have been meaning to do a write-up about that trip. You just might be featured in a photograph…

Alison :)

Elise August 21, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Looks great! I ate one when i visited New York. I have never seen it on a menu here in Belgium :) I thought it was the same as a pasta carbonara yet it tasted very different. What is the difference between them? xx Elise

silvia September 5, 2011 at 8:43 am

It’s funny because a lot of my US friends think that Alfredo sauce is an italian sauce but it is not! we don’t have anything like that in Italy…yet it has an italian name…weird!!
anyway, the Carbonara is made with eggs and bacon! :) if you want i can share the recipe, it’s very easy!

THE-LOUDMOUTH August 22, 2011 at 12:05 am

Ooh, I’ve never made my own alfredo sauce! Yum.

Anna August 29, 2011 at 2:34 pm

I am a chef and usually make my alfredo with a bechamel, but I tried your recipe this weekend and it is hands down the most amazing alfredo I have ever made… you are awesome

Melany August 30, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Butter, Greek yogurt, cream, cheese – so THAT’s why alfredo is so good :-)

Steph November 11, 2011 at 5:08 am

Fettuccine Alfredo is one of my favorite foods. I’d bookmarked this page when you first posted it and finally gave it a go. Even with my limited kitchen skills, I thought it came out well- I’d never have thought up using Greek yogurt. Delicious. Thanks again for sharing!

Lindsay January 10, 2012 at 11:35 pm

When do you add the parmesan? It is not noted here. Thanks!

Emma January 11, 2012 at 12:58 am

with the capers. Thanks for catching that! :)