Pear and Ricotta Crostini

by Emma on July 11, 2011

in Snacks

Sometimes I have an idea for what to make for dinner.

And sometimes… well… I just don’t. Then I’m sort  of frantically flipping through cook books or websites for inspiration. And even when I have a main course idea I very rarely have other menu ideas in mind.

I’m just not very good at putting together cohesive meal menus. It’s a disease! Most of the time my family just has to put up with my piggly wiggly mesh up of entrée ideas. Often my planned meals look like a communal pot-luck.

But they are not. It’s a shame.

So what I usually do is I have one dish in mind (an appetizer, entrée or dessert) and I just try to add other things that won’t clash too terribly in taste or richness.

And out of that mad way of thinking… these delicious crostini were born. These are simply: toasted baguette halves topped with thinly sliced Bosc pears, ricotta cheese, toasted walnuts and honey. They are thumbs-up awesome, if you ask me.

I think these would be really amazing around the holidays, with a little bit of cinnamon mixed into the ricotta. Just a thought, for those who plan menus more cohesive and seasonally than me. :)

Kacie July 11, 2011 at 9:20 pm

I LOVE that! Impromptu dinners are the best! Also excited to make your cupcakes from your sis’s blog!

xo
Kacie

Maria July 11, 2011 at 9:26 pm

AH! I just finished all the ricotta in my fridge when I decided to make two lasagnas at the same time! (Why? I don’t know… Just had all the ingredients, I guess.) Point is, no more ricotta and wouldn’t you know it, I have all the other ingredients to try this one-of-a-kind, salivation-inducing recipe. That’s okay, maybe I’m meant to trek out to the grocery store in my PJs. What adventures will I have? And all because of this post…

Janel July 11, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Yum! They look so good! I’m so bad at making dinner period. I’m glad I found your blog, because I have a little family vegetarians! This blog is going to be a lifesaver for me!

chelsea July 11, 2011 at 9:38 pm

delish! can’t wait to try this out, and thumbs up for simplicity

sarah July 12, 2011 at 12:39 am

drool. brie would make an awesome alternative cheese, no? i am SO making these!

Lacey July 12, 2011 at 2:25 am

I’m always amazed when you can just whip something up and it works out! No recipe per se, just an idea that comes to fruition in the lovliest of ways! Love this! Seems like a tasty brunch idea too!

Lesley July 12, 2011 at 2:56 am

That looks delish! I must try this!!

bianca July 12, 2011 at 5:01 am

Sometimes I find that most of my impromptu meals are the best ones I eat all week. There is something so creative and free about cooking on a whim!

Rachel July 12, 2011 at 3:37 pm

I want to try this too. Turkey breast would be a great addition also. I have to beef it up for my man.

Aubrey July 12, 2011 at 4:50 pm

mmm these look positively delicious! I am adding ricotta cheese to my grocery list now…

Camille July 12, 2011 at 6:38 pm

YUM! these look so great, I love pears, ricotta, nuts, and honey, so I’m bound to love these I think. I’m not too accomplished at planning cohesive meals yet either, maybe one day I will be? Either way, I still love cooking and baking and my boyfriend doesn’t seem to mind at all!

-Camille

chelseabird July 13, 2011 at 1:53 am

This sounds amazing! WOW! I seriously need to try this out! XO

erin July 13, 2011 at 2:23 am

these look amazing & almost too pretty to eat. yum!

-erin

Kelly July 13, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Potluck style dinners are my favorite, even if they aren’t a true communal potluck. These costinis sound so delicious! I’m definitely going to have to try them at some point, because my husband loves pears. Thanks for sharing!

Sofia July 14, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Mix and match meals are my absolute favorite.

Ellen February 26, 2012 at 8:17 pm

I love this recipe, emma your blog is wonderful, the hours I have spent on here is ungodly.
if you are a carnivore smoked turkey is really good on this also.