Mango Salsa

by Emma on July 27, 2011

in Snacks

It’s just about ‘good’ tomato season around here. Which means one thing: salsa days!

No, ‘salsa days’ is not a real festival or event in my town. (But MAN do I wish it was!… Do you hear that Springfield chamber of commerce, let’s make this happen.) I just feel that late summer is THE time for salsa. Don’t get me wrong, I eat salsa all year round. But I always wait for/look forward to summer-time to make my own guacamole, popsicles and salsa. I don’t know if that makes it a ‘tradition’ but… it’s like totally a thing.

I decided to try something a little different and make a sweet version, I actually had peaches in mind but when I went to the grocery store all the peaches seemed a little…. um…. too firm? If I had planned ahead and bought a few and left them on my counter top for a couple of days it would have been no problem. But I did not plan. Nope. So I bought the softer mangos that were available.

And I was not sorry-mango salsa is awesome! The sweet mango flavor goes great with the crunch of yellow onion and the deliciousness of cilantro.

Cilantro is my home-boy.

Mango salsa, makes 5-6 cups.

Needed: 2-3 ripe mangos, 2-3 large tomatoes, 1/2 a large yellow onion, 1/3 cup + cilantro and salt to taste

Finely chop up the mangos, tomatoes and onion. Set aside a handful or two of the chopped mango for garnish at the end, put everything else in a food processor (or good blender). Add the cilantro (reserve a bit for garnish if you like) and 1/2 teaspoon of salt to start. Pulse until well blended but not totally liquified. Taste and add more salt as you like. Pour in a bowl and garnish with the remaining mango and cilantro. Serve with chips or on top of nachos, tacos, etc.

Enjoy! xo. Emma

eeny July 27, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Mango salsa is my favorite salsa of all time. I could eat a whole bowl of it with a spoon.
Peach salsa is awesome as well – or why not go for mango + peach =)

Gaby July 27, 2011 at 8:46 pm

i’ve never tried my own salsa, it looks super simple! thanks.

Emily July 27, 2011 at 8:47 pm

We always make Mango salsa! Only I have never had it mixed with tomatoes…. Our recipe is 3 mangoes, 1 chopped red onion, a sprig of cilantro, orange juice and a little sugar and salt to taste!
Also you can score some AMAZING peaches at the farmers market right now!!!!

DaddyDonnie July 27, 2011 at 9:33 pm

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm…………………………..GOOD!

Jessie July 27, 2011 at 9:58 pm

that could not look more delicious right now. i love mango and salsa and i’m hungry. so tempting.
xx, http://wordbyjessie.com/

beate July 27, 2011 at 11:23 pm

Mmmm! I’ve never had mango salsa with tomatoes before. It looks yummy! I love mango and peach salsa,and of course, regular salsa as well:) I eat it till my tummy aches!

Eva July 28, 2011 at 6:41 am

Have you seen this recipe for “salsa” sauce?

It is just a name for a fruit salad of course, but it is really good! I usually make it with canned chickpeas and heat them in the oven, and use tzatziki instead of the nut paste. Just to save time, because the raw way is very good as well!

And also, I really like your blog! I find a lot of inspiration here. :)

Liz Q July 28, 2011 at 2:32 pm

This literally had my mouth watering! Can’t wait to make this at home!

justQUACHit

Liz July 28, 2011 at 2:50 pm

YUM! I work at Whole Foods and used to make it there. I’ve stolen their recipe for at-home-use and it has: mangoes, pineapple, red bell pepper, red onion, cilantro, lemon/lime juices, salt, black pepper, and a swirl of olive oil. It comes out to be more like a tomato-free pico de gallo but it is so good! I like to make a big ol’ bowl of it in the summer to eat for lunch/dinner for a few days.

Mallory July 28, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Totally making this sometime this week! I have soo many ripe tomatoes in my backyard, and I’m always looking to try new things with them :)

Nicolette August 6, 2011 at 3:17 am

Hahaha “Cilantro is my homeboy.” You have such a way with words. =) Love it!