I was curious about this whole vampire thing…

by Emma on July 13, 2011

in Books

Confession: I am a Twi-hard. It’s true. I read all the books (staying way past my usual ‘bedtime’ to finish some). And I’ve seen all the movies so far… not too sure about this next one. I mean, I’m going to see it. But I just don’t know how it’s going to go down. Tricky material for a movie. Could be cheesy.

Anyway, I had heard that the True Blood series was based on a book series. So I was curious. I’ve never seen True Blood (I don’t have any fancy t.v. channels like HBO or whatever) but I know it’s got vampires and love so it sounds within my interest field.

Interest field. Yeah, that’s probably not really a thing.

I thought I’d start with A Touch of Dead because it’s actually a collection of stories about the Sookie Stackhouse character, so I’d thought it would give me a chance to see if I liked it before committing to a whole novel. Whole-novel-commitment can be scary, you know? But after reading this I must say that I am interested to take up the whole series sometime!

This book reads almost like a little mystery novellas, but with vampires, fairies, werewolves and one ultra-southern vernacular protagonist. It was fun, and suspenseful at times. I have a feeling the novels are the highly addictive sort of beach reads that I really enjoy now and again. Guilty pleasure, and just a lot of fun.

So check it out. If you dare. And if you aren’t into vampires… well, I guess we can still be friends. :)

Justine July 13, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Best guilty pleasure books!!!

Alex Jae July 13, 2011 at 10:48 pm

I’ve read the whole series UNTIL the 10th one (not counting a touch of dead) I promise that book does not do the series justice, I was actually disappointed with that one! I hope the reading goes well. You should definitely commit! I think it’s better than twilight!

Agathe July 13, 2011 at 10:56 pm

I love the sookie stackhouse mysteries! It’s a real fun read! I’m currently about to finish the third book. Just stopped reading actually. I thought I checked your blog before going to bed (bedtime here in France) and there you are talking about it! funny!
love your blog! xx

Donna July 13, 2011 at 11:04 pm

I have to agree with the above poster. I haven’t read the newest yet but I loved the others. True Blood the series deviates from the books a lot but I still enjoy it. Another great series is the Otherworld by Kelley Armstrong, it’s got everything in it as well, though the main characters are werewolf, witch and others. Enjoy reading!

Stephanie July 13, 2011 at 11:22 pm

i’ve read all 11 books now and LOVED them. i would really recommend them.
I also read the Otherworld series by Kelley Armstrong and loved that too.
Have fun reading!!

Emma July 13, 2011 at 11:35 pm

Oh man, I may need to update my library que. And thanks Donna for the suggestion! I am always on the look out for book series with otherworldly creatures, I’m into it. I will be looking this up later… for sure. :)

teddi July 13, 2011 at 11:40 pm

i haven’t read these yet, but know so many people who love the books!

Miss Lou July 13, 2011 at 11:53 pm

If ou like vampires you’ll get hooked on the Undead series by Mary Janice Davidson, a friend loan me the first book and I’ve been addicted ever since (its up to book 9) check her out also if you wanna know more go here http://tinyurl.com/5w8r8wq

Miss Lou July 13, 2011 at 11:54 pm

Also I loved your recipe over at Elsie’s blog <3

Kimberly July 14, 2011 at 12:06 am

I have read all of the Sookie Stackhouse novels and seen every episode! I love Twilight too, but seeing as the book series is over, the True Blood tv series and SS novels are a good filler. I hope you comit and love them.

Jamie July 14, 2011 at 12:11 am

i LOVE trueblood! LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! i haven’t read the books & i’m not into twilight. you should watch it, i think it’s on netflix.

pinksuedeshoe July 14, 2011 at 12:12 am

You should read Paranormalcy by Kiersten White. It’s got vampires in it, and other awesome undead things. It came out last summer and the second book called Supernaturally comes out at the end of this month. I couldn’t stop reading it. I think I stayed up till 4:30 to finish it in one night. I haven’t done that since i was like… um, never. I think you’ll like it. Vampires and all.

Ashlee July 14, 2011 at 12:21 am

True Blood can easily be called my favorite show on TV! However, I didn’t know the series was based on a book series until pretty recently! I’m really excited to read them and hope to snag them up before college in the fall! Thanks for this post! <3

Juliet July 14, 2011 at 1:43 am

I finally started watching True Blood about a month ago after my lunch buddies’ constant chattering about it got me interested, and they’re right, it’s really good. What’s funny is that I think my boyfriend is more hooked than I am.

Amanda July 14, 2011 at 2:09 am

I’ve read the whole series minus the most recent one and I watch the show. The show and series are very different from each other but I love them both!

Kimmy July 14, 2011 at 3:51 am

I love the tv series!!! But the books are by far superior. I also had the luck of getting an autograph book by Charlaine Harris herself. >.< I think you should try watching the tv series Alexander Skarsgard is AMAZING!!!
You can find it on Sidereel or HBOGO. :D

Tammy July 14, 2011 at 8:36 am

awesome!!I love vampires and am a Tiw-fan too :) Thanks for the rec!

Jaclyn T July 14, 2011 at 9:33 am

Now I want to read these books! Not a Twilight fan, though (I struggled through the first book and haven’t read the others). I have a blog crush on you!

Emily July 14, 2011 at 9:39 am

I love finding another adult woman who admits these guilt pleasures. The sookie stackhouse books are great and totally addictive. The show is great too, we don’t have HBO either so we are a season behind since we get them through netflix.

eef July 14, 2011 at 11:02 am

i pretty much hate twilight, but the sookie stackhouse books are great! and of course… the vampire chronicals by anne rice if you haven’t read them already!

Jet July 14, 2011 at 11:44 am

Love the books and the show! And a good excuse to improve my English…

ellie July 14, 2011 at 12:56 pm

I LOVE the SOOKIE Books! And TrueBlood (I garuntee you will find your next celebrity crush on that show, the first 3 seasons are available from netflix!) I read through the entire series in record time (and best part, there’s 10 books and she has another one coming out soon!) Go read them and I promise you won’t regret it. (my library had the whole series, so free!)

I’ve had similar concerns for this twilight movie, it was rediculous in the book, how in hell are they going to make it happen in the movie? (but of course, I’m going to go see them both…)

Jenny July 14, 2011 at 12:59 pm

I don’t know how anyone could possibly hate Twilight…I mean, I know the writing is pretty lackluster, but the storyline just sucked me in. Anyway, Sookie is a fantastic series as well. I read them all one after another so by book 8 or 9 I was getting a little Sooked out but I plowed through and read all 11 and now I want more. Get on it, Charlene!

Bamba July 14, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Twilight was a fun and a nice light read for me. Sookie and True blood have an entirely different feel. I’d stay up late reading for both. I’ve only read one sookie book (a friend just loaned it to me), reading this blog post reminded me how interesting it was thanks for that :) And ooohhhh I highly reccommend the TV series! It is different from the books but they I think they compliment each other quite nicely. Warning, the series can be addicting, and it is full of hot guys that take their clothes off a lot–not that those two statements are related haha! ;)

Sally July 14, 2011 at 1:25 pm

I’ve only watched True Blood, but your assessment sounds dead on – it’s definitely a guilty (and often ridiculous!) pleasure! Lots of fun to get lost in. You should rent the dvds if you get a chance :)

Ryan-Catherine July 14, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Hello dear Emma!

You are in for quite a treat! The Sookie novels are a lot of fun but do start with book one in the series (Dead Until Dark, I believe it is called) since I find that the novels start to lose steam towards the 7th or 8th one. Enjoy!

PS. Kudos on the new blog! I like a girl with style and a sense of humour! It’s a lot of fun reading your posts. All the best,

Dez Schwartz July 14, 2011 at 1:33 pm

You know what’s really funny about this? I’ve always thought you looked like how I imagined Sookie was supposed to look like. lol

francie pants July 14, 2011 at 3:01 pm

mmmmmmmmmmmmm I love me some vampire goodness. I haven’t read Touch of Dead(thank you for the recomendation) but I am rereading the last half of the series again just for fun. The books are awesome…. the show is great. And the best part is that the show is very loosely written to be like the books so I can enjoy both for different reasons. We don’t have that fancy cable thing either. I pick it up from my friends who bought the dvds or I visit my friendly family video store and have a lil True Blood marathon.

Jessica Dougherty July 14, 2011 at 4:37 pm

All of Charlaine Harris’ books are terrific, including the Sookie Stackhouse novels. And after reading all of them, I really have enjoyed True Blood (rented DVDs).

Meagan July 14, 2011 at 5:25 pm

I am so in love with this series! It’s so fun and it keeps you hooked. The last few are much more dull but up until the 5th or 6th book, it’s such a great chick lit read.

Betsy July 14, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Never got into Twilight, True Blood, or Vampire Diaries, but you know what’s awesome? Buffy the Vampire Slayer and it’s spinoff, Angel. You would think they suck,being, ya know, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but they’re actually among the best shows I have ever watched, Just sayin’…

ju'lia July 15, 2011 at 12:24 am

I love you for this!!! :) If you ever get to see the shows on DVD, they are amazing. They actually don’t stick to the book entirely :) Great recommendation

Sarah July 15, 2011 at 4:52 pm

You got it right that they are definitely setup as murder mysteries that happen to have vampires and other folkloric creatures. Charlaine Harris I think only writes murder mysteries. Her other books are very good but I do have a softspot in my heart for Sookie, not just because I love anything vampire but because I am a Louisiana girl.

Eleanor July 16, 2011 at 7:36 am

Oh, I love me some vampy movies/literature! I am a Twihard for sure, and love the Sookie Stackhouse series (the TV show is just as awesome if you get the chance to watch it on DVD!)

Cassie July 18, 2011 at 5:16 am

After reading the Twilight series, I just recently ran across the Sookie Stackhouse novels on a trip to Oregon. I picked up the first two and it took me over a month to actually pick them up. And would you know, I’ve just finished the first 2 books in 4 weeks – two of the books were finished over a 4 day getaway with my husband. We’re so fun, aren’t we? We lay around in the sunshine reading on vacation. Ha! Anyway, I guess what I’m saying is, they’re a good read. Go for it!

Cassie July 18, 2011 at 5:19 am

Guess I should have proof read that first, I meant I finished the first 4 books in the series in 2 weeks. Whoops!

Emma B. July 26, 2011 at 9:56 am

Read them! I’ve read the whole series at least five times… yes, all eleven of them ;) They’re really addictive, as well as entertaining (Charlaine sure has a witty language) and exciting. This week, I’ve finished one book every day… x)

Tori Dawn August 1, 2011 at 3:09 pm

L O V E those books! I’ve read 9 of the series, they’re so addictive! I actually put myself on restriction because I was going through them so quickly. So now I have to read something classic in between books…like “The Great Gatsby” or something else I should have read in college or high school but skimmed or Cliffs Notes-ed (I realize that’s not really meant to be a verb, but I tend to do that a bit). Anyway, enjoy the series!!!

Kayleigh August 30, 2011 at 8:33 pm

I haven’t read the books, but I LOVE True Blood. And I don’t have HBO either, but I do have Netflix! When I watched the first episode it was so graphic I was like… WHAT am I watching?! But I couldn’t turn it off.

Patience January 8, 2012 at 7:17 am

They are all really good reads. They are page turners, and my biggest problem with them was that I didn’t sleep and I spent a ton of money in a short amount of time. :o )