Flourless, No Bake Chocolate Cake

by Emma on July 14, 2011

in Dessert

I know, right? I was skeptical too. I mean, isn’t that the whole thing with cake: it’s made with flour and you bake it. And yet…. and yet…

But I was still very intrigue by this recipe when I saw it on Heidi’s blog. And the thought of NOT turning on my oven (during the oh-so-hot season we are having around here) but still getting to enjoy chocolate cake called to me like a Siren I just couldn’t say no to.

I had to do it. I just had to.

And although I will not try to convince you that this is indeed ‘cake’ I will tell you that it was a lot more cake-like than I expected. And so rich. So chocolate-y. Such a perfect (and easy) little dessert.

I served small slices of this along with some pitted and quartered cherries that had been coated in a generous sprinkling sugar earlier in the day.

Side note: a cherry-pitting tool seems so unnecessary in an over crowded kitchen drawer. Until you need one, that is. My finger tips were soaked RED by the time I was done prepping these little cherries.

Cherries: 1, Emma: 0

Flourless, No Bake Chocolate Cake // makes 1 mini loaf, enough to serve 4-5

Ingredients: 8 ounces dark (like 70% or more) chocolate, 8 ounces heavy cream and 1/4 teaspoon salt.

In a glass bowl set over a pot of boiling water (or a double boiler, if you are the rare-breed who owns one) melt the chopped chocolate and salt. Once melted remove from heat and whisk in the cream, making sure the ‘batter’ is well combined and cohesive. Pour into a mini loaf pan lined with parchment (or wax) paper. Cover and freeze for 3-5 hours, or overnight. Serve with a dusting of cocoa and fresh fruit.

Ashlee July 14, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Oh, this looks really yummy! I think this is the perfect recipe to take to college. No baking and really simple ingredients! Thanks for sharing! <3

Anna July 14, 2011 at 3:05 pm

This sounds so refreshingly delicious :o )

Mel July 14, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Not turning on my oven + enjoying something chocolatey AND cold?? That sounds like heaven. Thanks for sharing!

- Mel

RetroLove July 14, 2011 at 3:53 pm

It looks like a parfait, but I’m not quite sure if it has the consistency of ice cream.
Only one way to find out… :D

Alex Jae July 14, 2011 at 4:04 pm

I’ve been craving all kinds of desserts that require heavy cream and my food lion is out!! :( This is on my list for my heavy cream desserts! Can’t wait!!

Elizabeth July 14, 2011 at 5:59 pm

I have a little one, newly on a gluten-free diet to me, so this looks extra awesome – thanks!

Taylor July 14, 2011 at 6:42 pm

I am thoroughly intrigued! Thanks for sharing, This is definitely on my baking (err.. not baking) to do list now! =]

Elna S July 14, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Mmh, looks delicious and easy to make. What a great dessert!

Kelly July 15, 2011 at 5:03 pm

A friend of mine made one of these for a dinner get-together we were doing months ago. I had heard of flourless cakes, but never tried one until then. OMG! They are so yummy! It’s definitely a good idea when you want cake in a sticky, hot summer but don’t want to go near an oven.

Jos July 16, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Interesting…looks like a block of chocolate or ice cream…might give it a go…

Milly July 17, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Ooooh yum, I’ve been meaning to try a similar recipe that has dried cranberries and pistachios through it.
Mmmmmm.

Kelly July 18, 2011 at 3:48 am

Instead of a cherry pitter, try a hard plastic straw (like the kind that come with the Take n Toss cups for kids). Works great!

Sofia July 18, 2011 at 4:22 pm

All I can say is … YUM!

Krystyna July 23, 2011 at 12:40 pm

The addition of cherries makes Heidi’s gorgeous dessert seem so fresh and even appropriate for this week’s hot, hot heat. I’ll be trying this recipe out today.

BTW, another easy household tip for pitting cherries. Use a closed safety pin. Insert the loop into the cherry, scoop out the pit through the hole you just made, and you maintain the integrity of the cherry’s shape. An added benefit? You don’t lose much juice.

Katherine of Kitten's Lost Her Mittens July 30, 2011 at 3:28 am

No kidding! Pitting cherries is hard work. It totally seems silly to have a kitchen tool for that sole purpose, and yet…
this is the one that I got (found it at a local store and just couldn’t resist):

The ‘cake’ looks good! I’ll have to try it.

Kayleigh August 30, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Wait!! I have a solution for that! Unbend a paper clip into a long piece of metal with a hook at the bottom. I used it to make these cupcakes that had whole cherries in them. I made them forever ago and haven’t blogged about it… Oops! But it really works. I can’t claim the genius of this, I got it from the crafty devil – Martha Stewart!