Classic French Toast

by Emma on July 25, 2011

in Breakfast

I L-O-V-E french toast. If I’m out to breakfast at a restaurant, diner or hotel for breakfast, I almost always get french toast. It’s sort of my thing.

Chewy with maybe a slight crunch on the edges, subtly sweet and then drowned in syrup, and with a little fruit on the side… that’s my idea of the perfect french toast. I’ve been making french toast for years, and I’ve pretty much figured out my favorite technique.

That’s not to say I don’t love trying new variations, or that others might be (MIGHT be) better at producing perfect french toast. But I’m just saying… like… I’m pretty good at it. Ok, guys?

Cool. Glad I got that off my chest, and wasn’t at all awkward about it. Yesssssss.

Huh? Oh, you wanna know how I make french toast at my house? Well, if only I had a little website were I obsessively took pictures of my food and shared tips…. but that would be, like, such a weird hobby…..

Recipe + Tips for Classic French Toast, according to Emma.

Needed: large french baguette. For real. Not just Wonder bread. Sliced sandwich bread will work but it’s much much better if you use french bread… or Texas Toast. Just saying.

In a pie pan or other shallow dish whisk together 3-4 eggs, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon or nutmeg and 1/2 cup cream. Yes, you could use milk if you want to shave some calories from this recipe.

But cream is WAY cooler. Just saying.

Dip bread in the egg mixture, let it sit it for 30 seconds or so. Then soak the other side. Place soaked toast on a wire rack while you heat a pan with butter and/or dip more pieces of bread.

Cook the soaked toasts in a pan over medium heat with 1-2 tablespoons of butter. You want them to get crispy as they cook, but not burnt. (That’s probably pretty obvious, but I thought I’d tell you anyway.)

Serve with fruit, a dusting or powder sugar (if your feeling fancy) and lots of maple syrup. Enjoy!

Emily July 25, 2011 at 1:47 am

YUUUUUUUM!! I think we’ll be having breakfast for dinner this week with this on the menu! I agree, french bread is so much better than sandwich slices!

Melanie's Randomness July 25, 2011 at 2:18 am

I had french toast for breakfast on Saturday! YUMMY!

Jen July 25, 2011 at 2:23 am

I really love thick French toast, I even stuff mine with homemade rhubarb compote to give it an extra zing! Recently, however, I tried something super new, and it was great. Two days prior, I had made too many banana walnut pancakes, so I froze the leftovers and turned then into French toast the following morning. Oh my goodness they were amazing!

Nicole July 25, 2011 at 2:31 am

yummmm. Now I want some French toast! I might have to get up a little early tomorrow and make this :]

Miranda July 25, 2011 at 2:46 am

I havent loved french toast until this pregnancy, and now I love it, especially with lots and lots of maple syrup. I also love putting in a little vanilla into the egg wash stuff.

Sara July 25, 2011 at 3:01 am

Loooooove french toast and I agree on the necessity of a baguette. Makes such a difference! :)

Jessie July 25, 2011 at 3:07 am

that looks out of this world. i love french toast too. sometimes just plain with a little powdered sugar. so delicious. thanks for sharing this deliciousness.
xx, http://wordbyjessie.com/

jenn July 25, 2011 at 4:01 am

French toast is my favorite too! I made it with for my boyfriend onece (with the french baguette, of course) and he’s been hooked ever since. He asks for it whenever I am over, and he’s even tried making it when I’m not there… but he says I make it better :)

Tammy July 25, 2011 at 4:13 am

I love french toast too and this looks so delicious!

Lea July 25, 2011 at 4:32 am

You are right! Texas Toast is the BEST when it comes to using it to make french toast!

pinksuedeshoe July 25, 2011 at 4:33 am

Yum. My favorite is to add a little bit of orange or lemon extract to the eggs and stuff. It makes a HUGE difference. Try it… you won’t be dissappointed!

Tamara July 25, 2011 at 4:34 am

french toast is the best! we sprinkle it with powder sugar and then squeeze lemon on it…if you haven’t tried this combo you have to…it only works on french toast (it’s not the same on pancakes and waffles) and it’s incredibly delicious!

chelseabird July 25, 2011 at 6:36 am

YUM! I LOVE french toast! It’s my favorite brinner!

Eleanor July 25, 2011 at 8:40 am

I just had french toast for dinner! Haha! With caramelized banana, syrup and whipped cream… Mmm, my favourite indulgent dinner.

Yours looks pretty perfect!

Elizabeth@rosalilium July 25, 2011 at 8:43 am

I love French toast too! But cream?! Cream?! Wow, that sounds intense. I might, maybe give it a go…
I like to pour Golden Syrup over french toast, it is delish!

Charlie July 25, 2011 at 11:50 am

Haha, I love the way you write it makes me chuckle! I have to confess that we make a much more English version in my house called “Eggy Bread” and eat it as a savory accompaniment to cooked breakfast.

But French bread is soo good. Just can’t wait for my year in France from October, I’m going to eat soo much!! (*gloat gloat*)

Ashlee July 25, 2011 at 1:11 pm

“Well, if only I had a little website were I obsessively took pictures of my food and shared tips…. but that would be, like, such a weird hobby…..”

This post had me cracking up! French toast is my thing too! However, instead of making it, I just enjoy eating it. Haha! Thanks for sharing how you make one of my favorite breakfast creations! <3

Agnes July 25, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Delicious!! I had it both days this weekend.
Once out, once home made.
Picture to prove it.

Love love your recipes!!

xo.

Melissa July 25, 2011 at 3:52 pm

I’ve found it best to leave the bread out to dry overnight as well. It helps the bread to sop up the egg mixture and also produces a nice crispiness. :) I loooove me some french toast.

mia July 25, 2011 at 5:33 pm

that looks super delish!
yummmmmiii:)
i like the feeling fancy option with powder sugar <3

Sarah Rooftops July 25, 2011 at 5:34 pm

YUM! Though I was so surprised, when I visited the States, to see French toast served with sugar/syrup/anything sweet; as far as I know it’s always a savoury snack over here. Now I like it either way :)

Amanda July 26, 2011 at 1:30 am

I think I need to eat breakfast at your house! Yum!!

Island Girl July 26, 2011 at 1:40 am

Made french toast this weekend and spread some filly cheese cake (from the tub) and rasberry jam over it! Can I get a YUMMY! Have never tried real french bread though… will do that next ;)

Marisa July 26, 2011 at 2:29 pm

I love french toast too but it’s been a while since I’ve made it. I’m totally using your recipe the next time I do. Thanks for sharing!

Miss Lou July 26, 2011 at 2:37 pm

I sooo wanna have these now! I’ve always done these with that recipe but sandwich bread (the one we always have) like grandma showed me, never really thought about using french baguettes, they should really be tasty and dense. YUM!

Lydia July 27, 2011 at 3:41 am

I was in France once for my birthday and they made me “French toast” since it was tradition for my dad to make me French toast on my bday. They were a tad confused by the name. There they call it “lost bread” because it’s made from leftover bread that is stale. Hence lost bread. But the recipe is the same & quite yummy. :)

Cleo Louise July 28, 2011 at 3:28 am

now i know what my sunday breakfast will be :)

Sara-Kate July 28, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Oh my god i am salivating! This looks delicious…defo trying this the next time im hungover. Yummy!!

Mandy C August 2, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Just found your blog via pinterest (spinach artichoke quiche), and figured I would look around. We cook our french toast like this, but finish it off in the over for a few minutes. (a la Alton Brown)

Natashia@foodonpaper August 4, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Oh wow, these look delicious! I made french toast once when I was younger, not that successful, but when you get a good one, gees it’s good!

Great fashion style throughout your blog too :)

x Natashia

allison August 5, 2011 at 2:48 am

I made this for dinner tonight. delectable.

love your blog… and your cute sister’s blog, too!

Julie August 6, 2011 at 7:42 pm

I haven’t made French toast in years. Made this today and it was a huge hit! Thanks for sharing!