Campanelle with Asparagus

by Emma on July 1, 2011

in Dinner

I love all sorts of sauces on pasta. I love pestos. I love creamy white sauces. I love it all. But my favorite is tomato sauce.

I used my standby tomato sauce recipe and topped this pasta with barely cooked asparagus, sautéed onions and little fresh basil.

No cheese necessary.

I’m sort of an asparagus freak. It might be my favorite vegetable.

I think the key to cooking asparagus (whether you are roasting, grilling, baking, blanching or sauteing) is to cook it just until it is bright green and then stop. I like it with a little crunch left in it. No mush, just flavor.

What’s your favorite vegetable?

Andrea July 1, 2011 at 7:30 pm

That looks delish! Asparagus is one of my favorites and then so again is Avocado, but that barely qualifies as a vegetable.

allison July 1, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Wow, I’ll have to try this for my next pasta meal! My favorite vegetable is zucchini, but mushrooms are a close second.

Marissa July 1, 2011 at 8:38 pm

This looks so good. Meal for the next date night? I think so! Asparagus is definitely my favorite too!

Ashley July 2, 2011 at 12:22 am

Oh yum! That looks like it could make even the pickiest veggie eater happy! My favorite veggie is a steamed broccolini with a little lemon squeezed on it. (Broccoli, too!)

Bekah July 2, 2011 at 2:16 am

I seriously wish I liked asparagus. I have just always hated it. It is so beautiful though, and so easy to find. I might try it one more time, one of these days. My favorite veggies are probably broccoli, cauliflower and carrots. Broccoli sauteed in a pan with minced garlic and then sprinkled with lemon juice is one of the yummiest things I have ever eaten!

-Bekah

Mel July 2, 2011 at 6:57 am

Asparagus and brocolli. We eat more asparagus in my house because my guy hates brocolli. I also love rocket! I stick it in the food processor and blitz it before adding to sauces as a good stock base.

emily July 2, 2011 at 7:11 am

I think pumpkin… i love saying the word pumpkin :)

anne July 2, 2011 at 8:05 am

hmmm looks good! I’m currently going through an artichoke-phase but broccoli is an old time favorite :-) have a happy weekend!

Amanda July 2, 2011 at 5:33 pm

My favorite veggies are all the green ones: broccoli, asparagus, collards, and artichokes. I once made an awesome pasta with sun-dried tomato, fresh tomato, broccoli, chicken, and cream sauce. Can’t go wrong with pasta!

Isa July 3, 2011 at 12:37 am

Yums! Your pictures make me drool so bad. It’s not a pretty sight!
I also think that pasta sauce recipe is amazing. This is a great way to “spice it up”, I need to try.

luisa rodriguez (@curiosalolita) July 3, 2011 at 9:34 am

Broccoli and eggplant!
Hope you don’t mind I added a link to your blog here: http://mustbeliberating.blogspot.com/p/friendly-blogs.html
Love your blog! Great work, congrats.

Mandy @ Miss Indie July 3, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Okay, that looks delish and so fresh! I need to make some, it looks really good.
My favorite veggies are mushrooms, onions, brussel sprouts, rutabaga, cucumber, and tomato………and avocado [those don't really count though, do they?]

Savannah July 3, 2011 at 11:31 pm

That looks so amazing and perfect for the summer months! I love everything that is in it!

jos July 4, 2011 at 12:30 pm

asparagus is good! my mum had a friend who kept pronouncing it us-par-a-goose. it was her indonesian accent and she couldn’t help it. it was cute. pumpkin and eggplant are high on the list too. actually i love my greens (and oranges and whites and whatever other colours vegies come in) except for al-fal-fa (excuse the spelling) sprouts (read: gross!). chanced upon Elsie’s blog maybe a week ago and ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT and that’s how i found you and katie and some other people she had on her list and my heart is so happy with all the gorgeous photos and ideas. so thank you to all of you. makes me really envious and want to have lots of pretty clothes though so i have to hide my wallet. :)

toridawn July 6, 2011 at 3:12 pm

LOVE asparagus! And, I agree, overcooked asparagus is no bueno. I’ve recently fallen in love with brussels sprouts (oven-roasted is my fave) and I’ve always loved butternut squash…I could go on and on, but let’s just say I love veggies! I want to try out your tomato sauce recipe…I’m Italian on my mama’s side and have my own go to base sauce recipe: but it never hurts to try something new!

Rebekah August 20, 2011 at 2:07 pm

oh wow am I glad I stumbled on to your site!!! I am a new fan! Let me see…first I am making the quiche, that coffee cake will follow soon along with, oh my I can’t decide yet!!