Blackberries and Cream Popsicles

by Emma on July 17, 2011

in Dessert

This little popsicle set is one of the best impulse buys I’ve made all year. Seriously.

The set only holds six small popsicles at one time, and if I could have chosen any color for the handles I probably would have gone with off-white or something less… uh… bold than these bright orange ones. But I am pretty sure they were around $3 at Wal-mart when I bought the set. So, hey, no complaining here.

Other great impulse buys I’ve made during late night Wal-mart runs lately: a faux chambray button-up shirt, a dress (yeah, that’s right. I own a dress from Wal-mart), way too many NYC nail polishes, How to Train Your Dragon on DVD and faux yellow flowers (I’m making a hair wreath, so there).

Random. I know. But I think this popsicle set is the winner for best impulse buy. Mainly due to the fact that I’ve used it a bunch already. Sometimes with less success than these… for example…

Behold: terribly ugly and gross popsicles. I thought it would be awesome to make layers of greek yogurt, honey and blueberries in a popsicle form.

In fact, that would be awesome. It was a half-way decent idea, if I do say so myself.

Problem: honey doesn’t freeze really well. And that whole layered-look is a lot harder to achieve than I thought.

Live and learn.

These, on the other hand, were utterly delicious. A creamy blackberry concoction frozen into a sweet and refreshing after dinner treat. Perfect!

Blackberries and Cream Popsicles, make 6 with a little left over to sip. :)

Ingredients: 8 ounces frozen blackberries, 1 cup heavy cream (you can use milk if you want fewer calories, but it won’t be as creamy!), 1/3 cup sugar, 1/4 cup water.

In a blender puree all ingredients until well mixed. Pour into popsicle tray and freeze over night. Enjoy on your back porch after washing the dinner dishes, while watching the sun set. If you want to be picturesque about it.

By-the-by a few of popsicles from this set stuck to their case too much, making it hard to get them out. Others did fine (like the ones pictured). But does anybody know a good trick for making sure your popsicles don’t stick to their tray?

Tish July 18, 2011 at 12:02 am

I don’t know if these creamy popsicles would be different, but I just run them (the outside of the molds) under hot water to melt the outer edge just enough that it happily slides out.
Hope this helps! :)

Kate July 18, 2011 at 2:49 am

I bought this same Popsicle set (my is lime green)! it took me a few batches to get some successful pops. my favorite so far was Shirley temple pops, sprite, cherry juice and a few chopped cherries, so good! Definitely going to try the blackberry pops, thanks!

lisa July 18, 2011 at 3:19 am

I love homemade popsicles! I made your greek yogurt/ Nutella combo a couple weeks ago and they were so delish! I’ve also found the molds make good gifts to friends with kids :)

Little Gray Pixel July 18, 2011 at 3:52 am

I bought a popsicle set this spring, but I found out the hard way that our freezer sucks hardcore and will not freeze anything I make.

Abby July 18, 2011 at 3:55 am

Layering might work better if you let each layer freeze a little before adding the next – that way they firm up enough to where the berries don’t just sink.

Gina July 18, 2011 at 4:36 am

I have a similar popsicle set from Target and yeah, they stick a little. I run them under water for 30 seconds and they easily come free. The water doesn’t need to be hot, just regular water will oosen them from their frozen hold :) .

Sarah Jane July 18, 2011 at 5:23 am

I was going to say the same thing as Tish! I had one of these when I was little and we would fill a mixing bowl (or shallow pan) with warmish-hottish water and just dip the tray in and those buggers would slide right out.

Something else that might work would be lining the molds with plastic wrap. The weight of the mixture would push it all the way down, but they might not be as pretty as the popsicles will take on the texture of the folds. :]

carolyn July 18, 2011 at 8:00 am

i just bought these at wal-mart today! can’t wait to try them out. i’ve heard freezing Kefir with them is really good!

Jos July 18, 2011 at 8:41 am

i thought they both looked yummy. now i feel like getting popsicle holder thingamajiggies.

Juliette July 18, 2011 at 2:37 pm

I remember we always made blackberry popsickles when I was a little kid. I miss them, I have to make some one day =)

Hillary July 18, 2011 at 2:59 pm

These look so ridiculously delicious. It’s winter here in OZ but I still can’t resist ice cream treats. Can’t wait to try making them! nom nom nom.

Ashley July 18, 2011 at 3:39 pm

I would either run them under some water or dip them into a shallow baking dish of water for a few seconds and then pull them out. It always did the trick for us. Yummy idea for a popsicle!! Reminds me that I need to make my chocolate malt ice cream concoction sometime.

Fyfe July 18, 2011 at 4:05 pm

I’ve just remembered that I have one of those popsicle sets!! Definitely making these tonight, please share anymore popsicle recipes you come up with!

Kristi July 19, 2011 at 12:25 am

I got totally inspired with your last popsicle post. I got a 4/pk container at Target (since sadly Wal Mart is so far away in LA), but I failed with the Greek Yogurt and Nutella. The Greek Yogurt didn’t freeze very well for me and it was SO hard to layer the two. Mine looked like the blueberry,honey, and greek yogurt.

This blackberry one looks SO yummy! Can’t wait to try!

Kristin July 19, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Emma!
To make a layered popsicle, defrost the fruit and then mush it! Like, go all out with your mushing skills and then when you want to add a layer of fruit to a layer of yogurt, the juices from the subsequent mushing help make the fruit layer! I don’t want to be one of those gals who are all like “Hey, here’s a link to my blog!” but for real, here is a link to post on my blog about layering popsicles. (http://kwillll.blogspot.com/2011/07/popsicle-palooza.html)
I also second and third and probably fourth the advice to run the popsicle container under water to ease the removal process. Yum! :)