Sweet Crepes

by Emma on June 6, 2011

in Breakfast

Last weekend I decided to try my hand at making crepes. I had never attempted them before so I figured I would try a (hopefully trustworthy) recipe and never mind the whole food blog thing. I try to give myself the freedom to make new dishes and explore without having the pressure to make it turn out picture perfect. I love blogging, but I love trying to make new dishes and stretch myself as a home cook/baker, and it’s not always a pretty picture. If you know what I mean.

I used a recipe from Alton Brown, the only change I made was I cut the batter amount in half. The recipe said it would yield 17-22 crepes. After cutting it in half mine only made 4. And as you can see from the picture, I don’t think they are ‘jumbo’ sized or anything.

But other than that I would have to say that this recipe was near perfect. The crepes turned out delicious (yay!) and the blender method used creates very few dishes, so clean up is a breeze. I hate doing dishes so this is a big bonus to me. :)

You will notice that my crepes are quite yellow in color, I had used farm fresh eggs and they tend to be more yellow than traditional store-bought.

I filled mine with Nutella and raspberry jam, and I about died. Yum! But next time I may try some fresh fruit. I also would really like to try a savory version sometime, just to see how that whole thing is. (Has anyone out there tried savory crepes?)

If you dust your crepes with powdered sugar before serving, you may get this little scene-of-the-crime ‘chalk’ outline when you’re finished. Cute and menacing. Like a baby tiger.

That made no sense.

malori June 6, 2011 at 3:33 pm

There’s a cute crepe place in my hometown (cups and crepes) and they have some delicious savory crepes. My favorite is ham, egg, and cheddar but they also have a turkey pesto crepe that is to die for. I’d give a big thumbs up to trying savory crepes!

Lacey June 6, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Yummmm!! Savory crepes are my favorite actually. Chicken Florentine. Oh my my my. Swiss cheese, sauteed mushrooms, spinach, chicken (although that can eeeeasily be omitted since you’re veg). Usually it’s served with Hollandaise. Perfection.

Ashley June 6, 2011 at 3:46 pm

I’ve tried savory crepes and my favorite are from a little counter found in Chelsea Market in NYC. They have wonderful savory crepes including pear with brie and honey and a barbequed chicken one. I tried to make a version of the last one myself and while it tasted good, it wasn’t nearly as good as theirs…oh well!

pinksuedeshoe June 6, 2011 at 4:02 pm

No matter how many times I make them, my first crepe always goes in the trash. And then the rest of the batch works perfectly. My mom used to make crepes all the time when we were growing up, and my favorite combo was fresh strawberries and a little sweetened cream cheese, and topped with powdered sugar. I might have to make those today… And I don’t know why, but I LOVE that last picture! Love it!

Daniela June 6, 2011 at 4:04 pm

I love sweet crepes, but my french hostsister used to make savoury ones with bacon and cheese.. They were great!

kate June 6, 2011 at 4:16 pm

These look delicious! i have been wanting to attempt crepes but they seem very intimidating. I have also tried savory crepes before, there is this wonderful restaurant down here in Baton Rouge that serves a delicious duck crepe with boursin cheese and port cherry reduction, yummy!

April June 6, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Alton Brown’s recipes are usually amazing. His chocolate chip cookie is divine. I’ve been wanting to try my hand at crepes so I should give this a try.

Jessica June 6, 2011 at 4:50 pm

I had some savory crepes recently in France but TBH they can’t beat American pancakes for me (is that disloyal?)

I dont know whether you have tried but Ricotta pancakes are absolutely lovey, they go well with a fruit compote (like plum) and a dollop of creme fraiche but they are so light and Id recommend them if you havent made them before.

camille June 6, 2011 at 4:54 pm

These look so delicious!
I don’t know how you make/eat crepes in the us, but i often go to france (actually i’ve just returned yesterday) and the crepes you eat there are so thin, that they are nearly see through, maybe that’s the reason why you only got 4 instead of 10.
but anyway, good job!

Chelle June 6, 2011 at 5:07 pm

The baby tiger thing makes perfect sense. On the one hand, they are super fluffy and adorable. On the other hand, you know that in about a year they will have the ability and desire to hunt you for sustenance.

C June 6, 2011 at 5:45 pm

oh my gosh! I love making crepes! Seriously my favorite. I haven’t done it in years because I would make them like just about every day. I went a little nuts you might say. But nutella and raspberry sounds like a dream come true. I’m thinking I might have to start making crepes again!

jooleedoh June 6, 2011 at 6:05 pm

hi, emma! when i was in town for elsie+jeremy’s wedding, my friend and i ate at Aviary cafe & creperie downtown. apparently, they’ve just opened. thought i’d tell ya if you haven’t heard of it. they had the best savory crepes i’ve ever had. no exaggeration here either, missy. :)

Emma June 7, 2011 at 10:31 pm

jooleedoh- that’s part of why I decided to make some, I have been dying to go to the new creperie but haven’t made it yet. I will soon, I’m sure. I love trying new local spots. :) thanks for the heads up.

karen June 6, 2011 at 6:46 pm

I am in Israel and they have the best crepe restaurant. Probably 40 different savory and 20 sweet. All delish. The savory are fantastic, eggplant, different cheeses, spinach, mushroom,……. endless.

poppycorn June 6, 2011 at 7:20 pm

As a crèpe-challenged French girl, I must say I am really impressed by yours – even more so as they are your first: they’re perfect. Mine are always way too thick… but I’m good at eating them! And as for savoury ones, my favourite is simply grated emmental cheese and an egg… yum!

katrina June 6, 2011 at 8:20 pm

a few years ago i tried some savory crepe recipes with asparagus and mushrooms! so delicious.
i used this recipe: http://veganyumyum.com/2009/03/spring-crepes-three-ways/

Renata June 6, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Mmm delicious!
I make savory crêpes and canneloni from time to time, i absolutely love them with this mix of spinach, carrot, onion and cream… I blogged those, because i have to tell you, they now are like my wildcard, if i hever offer a banquet they’d definetively be the main dish!

Linnea June 6, 2011 at 11:03 pm

I love savory crepes, at uni we would stuff them with just about anything, spicy mince and salad, fried onions and bacon, peppers fresh herbs and goats cheese, Yum. For a sweet version love lemon juice and sugar or melted dark chocolate and fresh strawberrys. Think i have dinner sorted for tomorrow now. x

kristy June 6, 2011 at 11:13 pm

They look fabulous! Now i want to my hand at making them.

manu June 6, 2011 at 11:14 pm

I totally recomend you try crepes with nuttela and bananas, it’s the perfect match. Love your blog

Tirzah June 6, 2011 at 11:33 pm

Oh, yum! These are exactly what I want for dessert!

Something I tried recently that was savory and delicious: zucchini pancakes. Like potato pancakes, but far, far better. :)

Annie June 7, 2011 at 1:26 am

Yea crepes! My all-time favorite was a delicious apple, brie, spinach, onion, concoction…..still thinking about it! Dig your new blog page too!

Becca June 7, 2011 at 2:12 am

I had savory crepes filled with cheese chicken fresh spinach and tomato—- the only way I will ever eat crepes! I like my pancakes sweet and my crepes savory.

Sarah June 7, 2011 at 2:34 am

These look super yummy! We have a creperie near us that has sweet and savory crepes. My absolute favorite is filled with asparagus, spinach, diced plum tomatoes, broccoli, avocados, and cheese. It’s so good, I have a hard time trying different flavors!

Lisa N June 7, 2011 at 2:51 am

those look like they turned out great! i have made crepes before but never with alton brown’s recipe so thanks for the tip – i’ll have to check it out :)

Louana June 7, 2011 at 4:43 am

In my country (Netherlands) we eat savory crepes all the time. Although we just call them pancakes, but they are like the size of yours. My favorite savory pancake is with unsmoked Dutch Gouda cheese, bacon and onion. My favorite sweet pancake is with apples, cinnamon and powdered sugar. I always have a hard time choosing between these two at a Dutch pancake house.

Gabbie June 7, 2011 at 7:46 pm

My favorite savory crepes are apple and cheddar cheese… so good! These look great, too :)

Amber June 7, 2011 at 9:02 pm

My FFP class (we basically cooked breakfast the whole time) we practiced crepes and cooking eggs. Some how I skipped the crepes (but I did improve on my egg flipping skills both scramble and over medium) Anyway I have no idea where I was going with that but try some strawberries (cut and spinkled with brown sugar and sit in the fridge for a bit) with honey and homemade whipping cream! They were very tasty in class.

Miss Lou June 7, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Crepes are tricky I learned to make them in my French class last year and I was hooked, I haven’t done them in a while. Yours looks yummy!

ps. scene-of-crime makes a lot of sense :p

Elizabeth June 7, 2011 at 10:48 pm

I love crepes! Savory and sweet!

Since my boyfriend got back from Paris last year, we love throwing late night crepe/game/photography nights… So delicious and so fun!

I like nutella and honey crepes a ton! Maybe even with bananas? And ice cream ones with chocolate and cinnamon end up tasting like a creamy coffee… YUM.

For savory, while in Austria I did them with slabs of bacon, eggs and cheese and sometimes even with leftovers (stir fry was gooooooood, girl).

pushups with polish June 7, 2011 at 11:04 pm

CRAVING CREPES. now.
enough said.
xxo em

Kimberly Tinsley June 7, 2011 at 11:42 pm

My local Famrer’s Market has the most AMAZING Crepe Booth. They do both traditional and savory and every saturday the feature the crepe of the day. All the ingredients are organic and locally grown it is unbelivable.

Mandy @ Miss Indie June 8, 2011 at 7:26 am

Oh man, those look so good! I’ve only had crepes once, at the Excalibur in Las Vegas. They weren’t bad, but I’m thinking homemade would be so much better. And nutella? Sign me up. :]
Just saw the cakepops in your last post, holy craaap. I will definitely be stopping by the shop soon! <3

moorea seal June 8, 2011 at 8:11 am

I love sweet and savory crepes! Seattle has a lot of crepe shops scattered about. My favorite savory crepe is melted mozarella cheese, spinach, cooked tomatoes, and basil. yum yum!
xo Moorea

La June 8, 2011 at 5:10 pm

These look so yummy. I’d love a savory pancake with a tomatoey sauce and mozzarella..like a cheese and tomato bake. mmm i am suddenly really hungry :)

Shirin June 8, 2011 at 5:39 pm

cheeeese crepes are where it’s at. with leek & mushrooms, or with spinach, or just with more cheeeeeeese.

well, if you like chese. of course.

nutella banana crepes are also where its at, though. and nutella raspberry jam sounds excellent.

Alyssa June 9, 2011 at 5:04 am

I work at a creperie and we have both sweet and savory crepes. They are delcious! My favorite savory recipe is one that we call “The Greek”. It has mozzarella, spinach, olives, feta, and pesto and it is DELICIOUS. The only difference is that instead of making a sweet batter, we use a salty one. We also use the blender method and I agree, cleanup is SUPER easy. Enjoy your adventure in crepes! I know I am ;)

audrey June 9, 2011 at 5:30 pm

my favorite savory is called “the motz” it has basil, tomatos and mozzarella with balsamic glaze. delish

Kristie Lee June 11, 2011 at 4:59 pm

The first time I made crepes, was my first catering gig. It turned out great with chocolate and strawberry sauce mixed. It was so good. I believe I will make some more. haha

April June 12, 2011 at 4:27 pm

I just made these, and like you I cut the recipe in half. I only got 4 crepes out of them, and I was using an omelet pan, so they weren’t huge or anything. Maybe the quantity is a typo? Or he’s just making super duper thin ones?

Anyway, thanks for sharing. I never knew they were so easy, and they’ll definitely become a part of my repetoire.

April June 12, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Forgot to add, two of them were Nutella with strawberries and the other two I filled with a homemade spinach and cheese sauce.

Bekka June 14, 2011 at 2:42 am

Nutella is my all-time favorite crepe filling!

Sarah June 14, 2011 at 2:55 am

Ah! I almost made crepes the other day, but opted for pancakes instead. I also used raspberry jam. I’ll definitely have to make this one morning. And Nutella is THE best! Thanks for the wonderful ideas!

Lauren June 14, 2011 at 8:01 pm

The best place for savory crepes that I’ve ever been is Crepevine – http://www.crepevine.com/savory%20Crepes.html – that’s a list of the different savory crepes they make, a good jumping off point for experimentation.

sarah bjarah June 15, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Saw this recipe for homemeade nutella over at pioneer woman and thought of you.

Miranda June 17, 2011 at 4:26 am

I have been on a major crepe kick lately and making them savory is my best excuse for calling them “dinner.” Of course my crepe night is never complete without a Nutella crepe. And a brown sugar + butter crepe.

By the way, I love LOVE your new blog.

jackie June 22, 2011 at 5:54 pm

i’m studying abroad on the french riviera right now and am getting fattttt off crepes. savory ones are good, yeah, but the best i’ve found is nutella crepes with a scoop of gelato on top. kill me now before i come home weighing 400 pounds.

Artie June 30, 2011 at 4:42 am

Hiya,

first of all your blog is fantastic!!!
I am living in brittany (where crepes are the speciality!).
Try cutting out the water add more milk until its silky with shiny reflections and quite liquid, a few drops of essence of orange blossom can be quite good too (for the sweet ones) VERY large hot pan for making it as thin as possible…

happy eating!