Sun-dried Tomato + Cilantro Hummus

by Emma on June 8, 2011

in Snacks

I went through a hummus phase in the fall of 2007. I had just moved to Los Angeles and there was a Trader Joe’s grocery store near my apartment. I love Trade Joe hummus! I think I ate nothing but hummus and pita bread for 2 weeks straight. It was a little bit of a hummus binge. My friends staged an intervention. And now I am back on the hummus-is-a-now-and-again food, not the only sustenance of life.

The last part of that story wasn’t totally true. Also, ‘sustenance of life’ ? Who do I think I am? I mean, really.

It took me a while to figure out that I could make my own hummus at home. And then it took even longer for me to get a food processor.

I am often willfully ignorant and cheap, apparently.

But now I make my own hummus sometimes, and I must say that this was my best one yet. I think the addition of sun-dried tomatoes and cilantro really gave it such a flavorful kick, sort of southwestern. You could use basil instead of cilantro though, just a thought.

Sun-dried Tomato + Cilantro Hummus, makes around 3 cups of hummus.

Needed: 1 can (drained) chickpeas, 1/4 – 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes, a scant 1/4 cup cilantro, 1-2 tablespoons tahini, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 cup olive oil plus more for serving.

Combine all the ingredients except olive oil in a food processor (or good blender) and pulse until well combined. While processor is running drizzle in olive oil (do not attempt this with a blender:). Hummus should be very spreadable but still course. Add more olive oil if needed. Serve with pita, veggies and with a little oil and cilantro garnish.

kate June 8, 2011 at 6:22 pm

i love making hummus at home, and especially new fun flavored ones! I can’t wait to try this one. Here is another one that i have become hooked on. Roasted Broccoli Hummus from Not Without Salt.

Juliette June 8, 2011 at 6:46 pm

I made hummus for the first time on Sunday. It was a success, and I loved it even more because where I liv no one knows what it is (haha, it seems like I live in another world). I will try this recipe next time, it looks delicious, thanks!

Melany June 8, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Oh this just looks wonderful! I have been wanting to try making hummus for awhile. Might have to make it happen :-)

melanymaree.blogspot.com

Heidi Ho June 8, 2011 at 7:13 pm

yuuummm. make a TLT with this. Tempeh bacon, Lettuce, Tomato! Avocado is great too, but i think avocado belongs on everything… it’s my favorite summer sandwich and I think this hummus sounds extra delicious :)

Marie June 8, 2011 at 7:21 pm

omg, I looove hummus. A friend gave me a traditional hummus recipe last year and I probably made it like 30 times already because it’s so tasty and everybody loves it. I’ll try your recipe next time I feel like eating hummus (and have the necessary ingredients at home!)
Thanks for sharing!

Sara S. June 8, 2011 at 7:29 pm

“I am often willfully ignorant and cheap, apparently.” Oh, how perfectly this phrase describes me. I think my husband would laugh out loud at this. ;)

Amber Ybanez June 8, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Have you had the Eggplant at Trader’s? Amazing! Lots of garlic…yum.

I look forward to trying your recipe. Thank you.

Amber Ybanez June 8, 2011 at 8:23 pm

*Eggplant Hummus

Laura M Smith June 8, 2011 at 9:05 pm

I love hummus! I make it all the time. My favorite one I’ve made so far is spinach hummus.
Also…..hummus makes a great sauce with pasta! Gets some protein in there! :) Delicious.

Alicia June 8, 2011 at 9:55 pm

I have never tried hummus… yeah sorry! Trying hummus will be my summer goal! Oh and I love what you did with your page:)

Mel June 8, 2011 at 11:23 pm

I love hummus with roasted garlic, toasted cumin seeds and lemon!!! It’s one of my favourite foods and something I’d happily live on!!

Maggie June 9, 2011 at 12:34 am

That looks delicious. Trader Joe’s hummus is amazing!

Jill June 9, 2011 at 4:42 am

I’m in my hummus phase right now! This looks delicious; I will be trying it with the basil substitute because cilantro is evil. I might throw some garlic in as well. :D Thanks!

Beca June 9, 2011 at 5:56 am

Not going to lie, I make hummus in the blender at home! ;)
That looks great though!!

María June 9, 2011 at 9:43 am

I make hummus all the time with my blender (we have a hummus obsession at home!) I usually add lemon juice, garlic and cumin seeds. Sometimes I use roasted eggplant instead of chickpeas and it’s also great. I think I’m going to try it now adding sundried tomatoes too. Thanks for the idea!

Katie June 9, 2011 at 10:56 am

Oh my gosh, this looks fantastic! Hummus with a twist! I love regular hummus but it’s nice to mix it up a bit sometimes – sundried tomato and cilantro sounds lovely.

Also, fun fact: In Australia we call “cilantro” “coriander”! x

jonahliza June 12, 2011 at 10:55 am

i cannot wait to try this.. my friend is throwing a bookmaking workshop, and i think this would be a perfect little treat to bring to the gals.. what a yummy blog.. thanks <3

Bekka June 14, 2011 at 2:38 am

Your post reminded me of Cookie Monster and his “Cookie is a Sometimes Food” song. (Though there are times I would like to disagree with Mr. Monster…like the time I mindlessly ate over half a pack of Oreos before I realized what I was doing…)

That, and now I need to seek out my favorite Mediterranean restaurant for some hummus. Or buy my own food processor.

Sarah June 14, 2011 at 2:52 am

Mmm, I love making hummus! I’ll have to try this one out. So far, my favorites I’ve made have been avocado and black bean hummus. Avocado is a pretty awesome hummus mate!!