Let’s talk mushrooms.

by Emma on June 21, 2011

in Dinner

If you have an aversion to mushrooms, well… you’ll just have to forgive me. As this post contains some pretty big mushrooms.

In fact, I wish I could have gotten my hands on some even bigger Portobello mushrooms but the grocery store had what it had.

Also, I always type Portobello with a ‘w’ at the end. Portobellow. I do not know why. Probably some deep-seated childhood controversy I’m still dealing with on some level.

Or maybe, just maybe, I’m bad at spelling. I’ll let you decide.

I was in the mood for a mushroom burger today. About a week or so ago I had a truly delicious mushroom burger at a local joint in my town, Grad School. I always try something different every time I’ve been there, but I think I found my match.

Portobello mushroom burger, that’s my jam.

So I made some at home for the family and it turned out great! Here’s what I did:

Rinse and gently scrub mushrooms until they are clean. I know mine don’t look clean in this picture, but I swear I scrubbed them. Then I poured a little red wine in their gills (yes, that’s what I call them, I’m very scientific) and let them soak for 5-10 minutes while I prepared everything else.

While mushrooms soak, cut up veggies and toast buns. (I think I’ve still got a lot of maturing to do because anytime I type or say ‘buns’ I just want to giggle.)

In a hot pan with butter and olive oil (yes, both) saute veggies. I used a white onion (not pictured, because I’m thorough) and two bell peppers. Once they are soft remove from pan and place on a plate with paper towels.

Now cook your wine soaked mushrooms until they begin to wilt. When I got to this step I realized I should have removed the little stems on the underside of the mushrooms.

Genius, Emma.

So remove your stems before soaking in wine. If you do, then you will be two steps ahead of me in life. Go you!

Now you are ready to assemble your burger. I had: Portobello, then a few slices of provolone cheese, then peppers and onions. No sauce, no frills, just delicious flavor.

Other than my failure to remove the mushroom stems I have to say that this was a success! And the wine flavor really did shine through without being overpowering. You could also thinly slice up mushrooms and other ingredients to make this into a wrap or pita pocket. Do what you like. Go with god.

melissa June 21, 2011 at 3:47 am

MMMMMM MUSHROOMS ARE MY FAVORITE! Yes, i had to scream that :) I love how you write. Your recipes look delicious and are so fun to read!!

Huckleberry Creative June 21, 2011 at 3:53 am

I was just thinking of mushroom burgers the other day! I love your step by step so much I’m going to give it a go soon!

April June 21, 2011 at 4:05 am

I love portobello mushrooms so. much. Even my carnivorous husband can get down with a good portobello burger.

Erny June 21, 2011 at 4:44 am

I love your sense of humour! I think in another life we would be great friends. Keep up the fantastic work, Emma!

clémence June 21, 2011 at 9:06 am

MMh champignons de Paris… that’s how we call them here, and i love them! and i m sure i’ll love them even more your way!

eef June 21, 2011 at 11:51 am

these look so good! my boyfriend hates mushrooms, so i haven’t had any in ages, but i think i’m going to have to make myself one of these burgers in the near future!

Sarah Rooftops June 21, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Oh, yum!!! I love mushroom burgers. I love anything mushroomy, really. Shame I’m not so big on the actual cooking…

Stefanie-Anne June 21, 2011 at 2:09 pm

These look delish!

Just fyi your pictures don’t load for me in Google Reader.

yums!

robin June 21, 2011 at 2:28 pm

that looks SO GOOD emma!…off to the market for some portabellos

Kelly June 21, 2011 at 2:52 pm

what a great recipe! I have to try this out, I’m going more vegetarian these days so this is perfect!!

marla June 21, 2011 at 4:41 pm

i use the giant portobellos that never fit on a bun! and i mix up a spicy mayonnaise for the bun. i take some miracle whip and add some chili powder and whatever other spices i have in the pantry. it goes perfectly with the flavor and juices! oh, and i soak my mushrooms in olive oil, but i’m gonna have to try that wine trick!

Abigail June 21, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Looks amazing, easy, and fresh! Is red wine the only thing you use to marinade?

Meanz June 22, 2011 at 2:09 am

Oh my goodness Emma, these look delicious! I love mushrooms, I really might have to try it, I’ve never had a mushroom burger before! Also, I’d love to see some stuffed mushroom recipes! :)

Meg June 22, 2011 at 1:02 pm

This looks SO good…

Food Lover June 22, 2011 at 4:27 pm

YUM I cant wait to try this, I LOVE mushrooms! I also can’t wait for the sneak preview of Extreme Chef on The Food Network this Sunday at 10:30pm/9:30c!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3J824ZuGXA

Grace Maria June 22, 2011 at 6:55 pm

SO, this is late. I don’t know how you bloggers go about reading old comments, Im sure you get notified just the same but I wanted to give you a little something as a gift if you’re really a mushroom lover.

The BEST mushroom sandwich I’ve ever had – a portobello melt with caramelized onions and spinach and some kind of red (maybe sun-dried tomato?) spread, some kind of cheese, on focaccia bread. OH MY GOODNESS. The gift to you is, you can get this sandwich if you come to Asheville, NC. It’s a place called Sunny Point Cafe that I think is right up your alley, and as if everyone doesn’t know you and your sister both, I think you’d both love it based on some of your style-likes.

From descriptions and pictures, parts of Asheville remind me of where you live a little. There’s a big art community and a lot of young people starting their own businesses. If I was business minded at all I’d do the same cause I have tons of ideas all the time but for now I’m just going to keep cutting hair in my cute underground salon. And I’m about to have a baby in December, so starting a business is much less appealing when I’m already busy creating my own baby child. Haha. All that said, I’ve left you guys comments before and they’re usually silly and not worth responding to but whether you are moved by my gesture or not, I know the value of this note that I am leaving you. And have gone way overboard on leaving it.

I think you’re great and I’m thankful for your recipes. I hope you do get to eat this sandwich someday, or are inspired to make your own. Speaking of, do you have a successful focaccia bread recipe? Something I’ve yet to come up with.

Brielle June 22, 2011 at 7:22 pm

This looks so good! Thanks for sharing, I want to go get some mushrooms for this right now.
Enjoy looking at your blog as always.

Abby June 23, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Emma you do make me laugh!

I’m not really a mushroom lover but this looks yummy as anything :)

Olga June 24, 2011 at 5:19 pm

I once ate at this restaurant that served the best portobello murshroom entre. It consisted of a portobello mushroom cap grilled and filled with pesto flavoured creme cheese a top a bed of baby spinach and a drizzle of some sort of balsamic reduction drizzled over the lot of it. It was delicious!

Melanie's Randomness June 26, 2011 at 5:26 pm

I love portobello mushrooms!! This burger looks so delicious!! =)

Oh I just found you from “I go by Katie” I have to follow because you have such wonderful things here!! =)

Melanie’s Randomness

qisthina July 1, 2011 at 2:33 pm

hello! I attempted your recipe today for lunch. my sister loved it so much, it was her dinner too.
thank you for the recipe! (:

smashinbeauty September 12, 2011 at 10:31 pm

Yummy looks amazing

Laura October 10, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Mushrooms are my absolute favorite. I recognize this is very strange. I’m not even a vegetarian. moving on! When I cook with portobellos I always poke holes in them, marinade in balsamic vinaigrette, top with goat cheese, roasted red peppers and basil. My favorite dinner ever.