Double Broccoli Orzo

by Emma on June 13, 2011

in Dinner

This is my first pasta salad of the season. Mark the calendars. It’s an occasion.

Although, in retrospect, I actually think this would have been better served warm rather than cold. I served it cold. Which was good, but warm would have made more sense.

Hey, I can’t be right all the time.

Or most of the time.

Or very often, if I’m being honest.

I like how orzo pasta is almost like rice, because of its size and shape. In fact, if you wanted to make this recipe and substitute the pasta for rice (even brown rice) it would be basically the same. But maybe slightly healthier.

I’ve told you all the secrets now. Serve warm. Maybe use rice. You know it all… what? Oh the recipe, oh that thing.

Double Broccoli Orzo, serves 4-6 (depending if you’re serving this as a side dish or main course).

Ingredients: 12 ounces of broccoli florets, 2 ounces slivered almonds, 3 tablespoons basil pesto (I used a store-bought kind), 1/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese, 2 tablespoons minced garlic, 1 1/2 cup uncooked orzo pasta, 1/3 cup veganaise (or mayo) and 2-3 lemons for serving.

Steam half of the broccoli until tender. In a food processor blend together that cooked broccoli, almonds, pesto, cheese and garlic until a course paste forms. Stir veganaise into this, creating the sauce/pesto.

Steam the remaining broccoli until bright green but not mushy. Cook the pasta according to directions. Once everything is ready stir together the sauce, broccoli and pasta. Serve with generous amounts of lemon juice splashed over it all.

Lemon juice is another secret. Man, I’m just giving these away. Dang.

emily June 13, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Yum, that looks delicious. Thanks for all the tips. I feel like taking a month and making all your recipes :)

Sara S. June 13, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Orzo is my fave!

kristi June 13, 2011 at 5:53 pm

What if you don’t have a food processer? This looks delicious but am missing the blending tool – or could you use a blender? Clearly I am a new-sih cook.

Emma June 13, 2011 at 10:16 pm

You could use a blender, it won’t work quite as well but it will do the trick. I used to use a blender before I had a food processor around and most of the time it worked pretty well. :)

Bekka June 14, 2011 at 2:29 am

I love broccoli, so double broccoli is right up my alley!

Michelle June 15, 2011 at 3:13 am

This looks so delicious. I can’t get enough broccoli lately, so I’m really craving this one!

Christy June 15, 2011 at 4:19 am

I know this is really tasty and super versatile. You could use this “pesto” on any whole grain, tossed with larger sized pasta and even brush it on tofu or chicken when grilling. The fresh lemon is key. It reminds me a lot of one of my favourite 101cookbook recipes.

Delish! Bring on the greens!

sha June 15, 2011 at 1:26 pm

this recipe looks so yummy! thank you for this post, i’m trying to get more veggies into my toddler’s diet, and with combo of pasta (she’s a carb lover) she’ll love the dish.

any recipe ideas for brussel sprouts??

Becky June 16, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Holy cow, I cannot WAIT to try this! Question: do you think Miracle Whip would suffice (though it would sweeten it some)? I don’t use Veganaise or mayo very often.

Sarah June 19, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Love your recipes Emma! They are so fresh and simple. Gonna try this brocoli orzo for dinner tomorrow :)

anne June 28, 2011 at 3:26 am

what if you had a really bad experience with making really bad pesto, so you don’t want to blend anything else up with the pesto and just sort of mix everything together into one pile? think that would be okay? cause i like pesto, but man i don’t like bad pesto–that was an all around bad idea.