Classic Sopapillas

by Emma on June 23, 2011

in Dessert

The other night I was making fajitas and guacamole for family dinner night, and I wanted to make some kind of hispanic type dessert. I realized I had never made sopapillas for them before.

In case you’ve never had the pleasure, Sopapillas are sort of like a hispanic doughnut. They are a yeasty dough that puffs up as you fry it. You can then rip off a corner and pour in a little honey (that’s my favorite!) or you can simply sprinkle them with cinnamon and sugar. Either way they are delicious. For these I used a recipe from Homesick Texan, I think her blog is just wonderful.

They were a big hit! So if you haven’t ever tried these before I highly recommend you invite some friends over and fry up a batch tonight. :)

Liz Q June 23, 2011 at 6:17 pm

These look delicious!

marla June 23, 2011 at 7:10 pm

i made donuts yesterday. and funnel cakes today. those sopapillas have to be next! because i obviously have not had enough sweet, fried food.

i share how i made my sweets on my blog: marlagrace.blogspot.com

Lacey June 23, 2011 at 7:23 pm

These look great! Randomly, I’ve had these with warm lemon curd drizzled over the top. Not really hispanic, but super tasty.

suzy June 23, 2011 at 7:49 pm

my sweetheart is from new mexico and he looks for these in EVERY mexican restaurant we go to, with no avail (we live in brooklyn). i’ve resigned myself to the fact that i’ll have to make these for him, but i’m terrified of using yeast. i made pizza dough once and it was a disaster. i do love to cook though, so i know i’ll give it a go someday.

any words of advice?

Aline Correa June 23, 2011 at 8:05 pm

oooh, my! I love sopapillas… they sell it here on the streets in Chile.
they look just as yummy.

Juliette @ Details June 23, 2011 at 9:22 pm

I’ve never heard about them but they look delicious!

Francisca June 24, 2011 at 1:33 am

Hi!
I´m from chile and her we make something sopaipillas, which is also a kind of dough but with a type of squash in the dough. Fried or fried and cover with chancaca ( It is a thing made of sugar and honeys (plural?), I guess you can find this only here). Anyway, sopaipillas her are a delicious treat for winter (and all year!)
Yum!

Sara June 24, 2011 at 2:59 am

I really shouldn’t want these, but I so so do. My sweet tooth sometimes rules my thoughts. :)

Jadyn June 24, 2011 at 4:02 am

Oh, they look great! I am new to your blog and it’s got my head buzzing with ideas for things I want to cook. And suddenly, I want to dress more creatively too. Thanks for the inspiration! (My husband thanks you too)

Rose June 24, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Oh wow, I have to try these! xx

Meli (Blush + Jelly) June 24, 2011 at 7:31 pm

I’ve never made these – but every time I go to my favorite Mexican restaurant I order a batch – they cover it in cinnamon sugar and then I dip it in honey. Delish!

Jiji June 24, 2011 at 10:16 pm

Yum, yum, yum! I must try making these, I’m Mexican and shame on me for never making them before!

Kelly June 25, 2011 at 12:55 am

They sound super tasty! I definitely think the honey sounds like the most yummy option to me. Might have to try & make these for our next family gathering. Thanks for sharing!

Deanna June 25, 2011 at 2:31 am

I’m partially Hispanic and my grandmother makes the most incredible sopapillas! They’re one of my favorite treats! Soooo tasty! I’m definitely craving them now! xD

<3 Deanna

kelly June 25, 2011 at 4:02 pm

This reminds me of high school. We made these in spanish class so many times. Sooo good. Also your blog post on cake pops inspired my husband and I to make some ourselves. Now we are filling requests to make them. So thanks for the fun idea!

Louise, Raspberries In Winter June 26, 2011 at 6:31 am

These look sooooooo yummy! I’ll have to give them a try.

Juliet June 27, 2011 at 10:50 pm

These look soo tasty. Any type of doughnut is a such treat. When I first saw these I thought they were empanadas. Btw, empandas are so good, esp. with guava jam and cream cheese filling. Good thing I don’t have those ingredients at home right now…

Lauren Helen July 14, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Wow, if I ever get brave enough to fry something, this will be it!
Thanks for the awesome ideas! :)

Gabrielle November 11, 2011 at 2:49 am

These are almost exactly like beignets! We put powdered sugar on our fried dough! Soooo yummy! But I love getting some of these too! By the way, this blog is amazing and I should never have stumbled upon it on the first day of my diet…ugh!

Everything looks so tasty!