Big Veggie Sandwich with Tomato Basil Pesto

by Emma on June 16, 2011

in Dinner

Sometimes, when its hot and I really can’t even begin to even dream about turning on my oven, or burners… I make a sandwich.

Yeah, a giant sandwich. A sandwich so big and so packed with veggies that I have to serve it on a platter, not a plate.

Before I went vegetarian, back when facebook was the not as cool version of myspace and twitter didn’t even exist (boy, how times have changed. ha!), I never understood the concept of a veggie sandwich. Like, what was in the middle if there isn’t any meat?

Today, I am older and (somewhat… maybe) wiser. Cucumbers are my meat. Or at least they were in this sandwich. I love cucumbers and copious amounts of lettuce and WAY too much sauce if I can get it. In short, veggie sandwiches are a great summer-time staple that you can easily change-up based on your own likes.

Here’s how I made mine:

Ok, so maybe the color of this spread doesn’t look so great photographed. But this was really really yummy! All I did was combine a pre-made basil pesto sauce with a couple handfuls of sun-dried tomatoes and ta-da!: tomato basil pesto is born.

Crunch time. Seriously. Slice them thick or thin but pile on the cucumbers please.

And thank you.

I decided to hold back a little with the lettuce. Didn’t want to go over-board. No need to build a mountain of lettuce over that slice of bread. Oh no, I’m shy about lettuce.

(See what I did there? That’s internet sarcasm.)

I also sprinkled on some (drained) pimento. I like pimento. They is good.

Then I added a bit more pesto and… goat cheese.

You thought it was feta didn’t you? Gottcha.

This was actually my first time to try a goat cheese and I really loved it. It did sort of look like feta but it has this softer, melt-in-your-mouth quality to it. So, like, uh… yum!

And no I did not eat this entire sandwich myself. This was three servings, eaten by three people. I was only one of them. So there.

I mean, that’s a lot of bread. Dude. I like to save a little room. You never know when an ice cream opportunity may come your way. You don’t want to be unprepared. Just in case.

What’s your favorite sandwich fillers? I would love to branch out and try a few new sandwich combinations this summer so I’d love to hear your favs.

larissa June 16, 2011 at 4:33 am

Avocados and tomatoes in the middle of mine!!!

Sarah Beard June 16, 2011 at 4:47 am

Today I had an all grilled veggie sandwich. Mix a low-fat cream-cheese with Basil, roasted red pepper, caramelized onion, roasted portabella mushrooms, roasted carrots and roasted zucchini…add just a little pesto and eat! Delish!

Michele June 16, 2011 at 4:48 am

Oh my, yummy!

T June 16, 2011 at 4:58 am

ok that looks delicious but I would have slipped in a bit of ham on the side. gotta have me some meat.

btw, are you on twitter Emma?

Sarah June 16, 2011 at 5:05 am

Emma, your posts are the cutest. Not often do I actually read food blogs, (just sorts peruse them for good recipes), but yours is one that I always read because it makes me smile. And I REALLY needed to smile tonight.

Thank you. : )

Sarah

Miranda June 16, 2011 at 5:29 am

That looks delicious! I will have to try it out! I think one of my favorite sandwiches is avacado, plain cream cheese, tomato, and cheddar cheese on a toasted everything bagel. Avacado is my favorite sandwich filler.

Tirzah June 16, 2011 at 5:33 am

My fav combo for summer is apple, pesto, and provelone on a baguette. So tasty!

pinksuedeshoe June 16, 2011 at 6:54 am

Peanut Butter, Honey, and sliced banana. By far, hands down my favorite sandwich. But then again if you put avocado and potato chips (salt + crunch!) on anything it’s pretty delicious.

Juliette June 16, 2011 at 7:07 am

What a huge delicious sandwich! When I tell people I am vegetarian they still look at me as if I were the devil (I live in ITaly, vegetarianism is still not known and understood).
Goat cheese if my fav cheese, I think it has so much more flavour.
I love sandwiches with tomtao, mozzarella and basil. Basic and simple, especially here =).

Renée June 16, 2011 at 7:56 am

Oh yummie, this looks really delicious!

xo

Coco June 16, 2011 at 8:08 am

This looks delicious! I’m gonna try this sometime.
One of my favorite sandwiches is this: Chicken-curry spread, with slices of mango and chicken filets. I don’t know if its common use in the USA, but we have very thin sliced chicken filets (already roasted) special for on bread. Its great! My mom used to make me this sandwich to take with me to school :)

chelz June 16, 2011 at 8:27 am

some of my fav sandwitch fillers are pickled daikon and carrots and avacado.. :D

Jess Lonett June 16, 2011 at 12:50 pm

i love hummus & avocado for you veggie lover you. i sometimes enjoy bacon with my avocado, but i’ll keep that my secret ;-) sprouts are a fun combo with hummus and cucumbers too! but my favorite thing for a sandwhich is an everything bagel, sorry i know it’s not a filler but i couldn’t help but share that secret too! now i’m hungry.

emmaline June 16, 2011 at 1:02 pm

i think i could have given that sandwich a good nudge… probably two thirds.. or more! but seriously, that pesto looks beyond amazing. you’re making me hungry and i just ate a huge dinner. how can this be?!

Annie June 16, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Best sandwich ever (even though it was open-face): toasted crusty bread with a thick slice of brie, topped with thyme, then baked till brie softens and drizzled with honey! Oh, this takes me back to that cafe in Holland……..

Caitlin June 16, 2011 at 3:16 pm

That sandwich looks awesome! I am always a sucker for a good caprese sandwich :)

Charlene J. June 16, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Cutest food post ever made about a sandwich. Love the internet sarcasm. :)

Maggie June 16, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Goat cheese is beyond delicious! I have recently been obsessed with basil, tomato and mozzarella sandwiches. So refreshing on these hot days.

Jen June 16, 2011 at 4:03 pm

I’ve been a vegetarian for 5 yrs and that sandwich looks amazing!! I love throwing together a veggie sandwich or bright colored veggie salad; so many possibilities in a veg sand. I work in a vet clinic and everyone teases me about being the only vegetarian and how amazing my salads look. Thank you for sharing , I am going to have to have to make that. :o ) I love the name of your blog. Very cute! :o )

Emilie June 16, 2011 at 4:46 pm

I adore this blog. I agree, we need more fun, happy and positive spaces in the grand world of the internet.

I feel like this sandwich just made my day. I think I’ll make a sandwich with avocado and alfalfa sprouts!

Emilie

Sara June 16, 2011 at 5:04 pm

YUM! I love me some avocado and crispy bread and butter pickles.

Alison :) June 16, 2011 at 6:30 pm

That sounds like a delicious sandwich. I’d probably add a dash of vinegar, just cuz I like a little tang with my cucumbers. I have referred to myself as The Sandwich Queen, and this is no exaggeration. I like making up new (to me) flavor combinations, but I DON’T always like spending time in the kitchen. Lately, I’ve been making fresh mozzarella and pickled banana pepper melts.

Alison :)

P.S. I just love your voice on this blog – it’s fresh!

THE-LOUDMOUTH June 16, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Totally didn’t know that you’re vegetarian. Awesome. Must make this!

poppycorn June 16, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Why, cheese of course! It’s not going vegetarian, but going vegan that would put me at a loss about what to fill my sandwiches with… though this one does look pretty yummy! Must remember it if I do take the plunge someday… but I think I love cheese way too much for that, sadly (meat, on the other hand, wasn’t really a sacrifice: I didn’t even like it that much to begin with.)

Amy June 16, 2011 at 9:30 pm

OH my gosh. This looks so good. And now I want one. :) I shall make one. :)

clémence June 16, 2011 at 9:37 pm

It looks wonderful, i ve eaten already but i could eat it just right now!

elycia June 16, 2011 at 10:13 pm

avocado!! you can never go wrong with avocado…unless of course you don’t like it. (but how could you not?)

Jennifer Ann June 17, 2011 at 12:52 am

Try some peppadew peppers and pesto hummus! Delicious!

flamedot June 17, 2011 at 1:51 am

Even though it’s a little more fall-y than summer-y I love me a bit of chutney in my sandwich :)

Nicolette June 17, 2011 at 2:45 am

I LOVE sandwiches. I have so many favorite sandwich combos that it’s very hard to choose! But I think right now my favorite sandwich is sweet pickled onions, classic hummus, avocado, alfalfa sprouts and goat cheese. Yummmm. =) Have an awesome night! =) <3 Nico

Anna June 17, 2011 at 3:21 am

This sandwich looks fantastic. One of my favorite sandwiches growing up (your first reaction may be “gross!”) was peanut butter, banana, and mayo. I dunno why but…perfect combination :o )

siobhan June 17, 2011 at 5:40 am

Amazing looking sandwich! My favourite combo is smoked tofu, sundried tomatoes, houmous and rocket in a crusty baguette.

jooleedoh June 17, 2011 at 5:49 am

okay, this doesn’t quite fall under the sandwich category, but it does fall under vegetarian. and you do eat it with your hands, so that’s close enough, right? it immediately came to mind, so i thought i would tell you before i never do.

ever tried making spring rolls? your love for cucumbers made me think of my favorite summertime (or anytime) food!

Kate June 17, 2011 at 5:54 am

My local grocery store sells their own herb and garlic roasted tomatoes. I can’t get enough of them and I put them in all my sandwiches. I’m going to try my hand at making them myself soon.

I like the pesto-sundried tomato combo, it almost looks like tapenade!

happyowlerin June 17, 2011 at 6:20 am

Hi Emma!! That looks absolutely delish, mmmm. It is always so amazing to me, whenever I check my stats one of my most popular posts is your Cherry Bombs recipe from my ’12 Days of Christmas’ segment, too cute!! hugs to you sweets. xxoo

Eleanor June 17, 2011 at 6:45 am

Um… how have I not visited your blog before?! It’s amazing! All these recipes look so good, you’re hilarious and your design is adorable! LOVE. I’m your newest follower :)
This sandwich sounds delicious – I love any kind of basil pesto, yum. (And yay for vegetarians!)

Jocelyn Ng June 17, 2011 at 8:48 am

looks delicious! :)

Andrea June 17, 2011 at 10:12 am

Looks so yummy. Do you know a good pesto recipe sans dairy?
My favorite veggie sammie fillers? Avocado and Hummus, just bought some spring roll wrappers from the asian market – they’re delish! (now I’m realizing that jooleedoh just said this)

Nicolette June 18, 2011 at 1:49 am

Love it huge fan of goats cheese. As a fellow vege (a lifer to date) my 2 current favs are carrot and hummus with salad or hallumi and griddled mushroom and courgette, (but you say zuccini) – I think that is how you spell it. Let me know what you think of you try them.

xo Nicolete

Liz June 18, 2011 at 4:51 am

My favorite sandwich filler since going veg is grilled sweet potatoes… You peel the SP and then cut it up lengthwise into stackable slices, blanche the slices in boiling wather for about 4 minutes and then throw them on a grill (a.k.a. The George Foreman) for another 5 minutes or so until cooked through. I like to chill them before I throw ‘em on a cold sandwich with tomatoes, greens, red onion, and hummus. Ya-um!

Malin June 18, 2011 at 10:00 am

Yum, this looks SO delicious!

Marie June 18, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Goat cheese on sandwiches is the best. Haha I have the same ‘I might find some ice cream or cupcake’ strategy ;)

chelseabird June 19, 2011 at 6:28 am

This sandwich looks delicious and is definitely something I can make! Yahoooo!

I’m a big veggie sandwich person and love cucumbers, tomatoes, sprouts, sweet potatoes, and eggplant! YUM!

Hanna June 20, 2011 at 3:39 pm

wow, this reminds me of bill cosby and his own giant sandwiches (they had a special name h-something, but i can’t remember right now).
i will probably try this some time or other (when it’s finally warm again around here).

Katy June 20, 2011 at 8:30 pm

oooh! hi from a fellow vege of 20 years here. YOur sandie looks so yummy. I too make meat out of cucumbers, tomatoes, musrooms, whatever is around and yummy and not flesh. so yummy in the summer too.

LOVE your blog. thanks so much,
Katy

Aubrey June 20, 2011 at 8:39 pm

As soon as I finished reading this post I got up and made myself a sandwich. I wasn’t even sure if it was lunch time (it’s my day off..i’m in pajamas still..and apparently looking at the clock on my computer didn’t occur to me). Luckily it was, so I didn’t eat a sandwich for breakfast.
I made a basil, red pepper pesto, spread that on a hoagie roll, threw on some carrot and red bell pepper slices, arugula and goat cheese. Heaven. Thanks for a most excellent idea!

Sarah June 20, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Mmmmmm…goat cheese!

Olga June 24, 2011 at 5:15 pm

OMG, that looks good!

My favourite sandwich is…

Well you take a ciabbate bread slice it in two. Put them on a baking sheet face up. Coat one slice with pesto. Layer bocconcini cheese with tomatoes. Stick in the oven until a little golden and the cheese gets melty. Take out of oven, add some mayo, close the sandwich and enjoy the incredible goodness.

Alexis June 26, 2011 at 12:45 pm

I used to eat this cucumber club all the time when I was younger. It consisted of cucumbers, alfa sprouts, thousand island dressing, red onions and havarti cheese. OMG, this takes me back! I’d love to try your version though as I was eating this long before I discovered pesto or feta and the jury is still undecided on goat cheese. Unless it’s with beets. I just love beets. Thanks for sharing this ;)

hollysarah. June 27, 2011 at 8:42 pm

oh my gosh this looks SO good. #hungry

Lauren Helen July 3, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Cucumbers are my ‘meat’ on sandwiches too! My summer sandwich obsession right now is cucumbers and avocado on herb-and-garlic bread. Yum!

Rachel P. July 9, 2011 at 1:29 am

New reader here :) Just saw this post and I agree with anyone who mentioned hummus. It’s a perfect addition to any veggie sandwich! You should definitely try making it yourself. I am spoiled with the best falafel joint so close otherwise I’d make it myself. I don’t really enjoy it unless it is fresh (no store brands)…too much flavor loss. I always enjoy strawberries when having hummus…perfect opposites! Makes my mouth happy :)