Tofu Lettuce Wraps

by Emma on May 25, 2011

in Dinner

I am always trying to improve my tofu-cooking skills. I’ve tried baking and sauteing, and that’s nice. But, it turns out, what I really like is fried tofu.

Leave it to me to take a food that most folks designate as “health food” and I decide to fry it up! What can I say… is good. Man. Fry yourself some tofu tonight. And serve it in a giant lettuce leaf, with match-stick bell peppers and a Greek/dill dressing.

Because it’s colorful. Because it’s yummy. Because you can.

How I fry tofu: First, drain the tofu of as much moisture as you can. I usually place a block of tofu between two plates covered with paper towels and then place something mildly heavy on top of the second plate. This will help…uh, squash moisture out of the tofu. Then cube it, lightly coat it in flour (with a a bit of pepper) and fry in hot oil (I used a mixture of vegetable and canola) until puffy and golden.

For the dressing pictured above: Mix together 2 cups greek yogurt, juice from 1 lime, a few tablespoons chopped dill, 1 tablespoon vinegar and salt + pepper to taste.

What’s your favorite way to eat tofu?

Mel May 25, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Those look delicious! I’ve been craving lettuce wraps, so I’ll definitely be trying out this recipe. I love putting chunks of tofu in a simple pasta, veggies, and red sauce dish. The texture, color, and mild flavor tastes like chunks of mozzarella cheese. SO good.

Sara May 25, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Mmm. Fried tofu is delicious and these wraps look awesome. Nice combo!

katy May 25, 2011 at 7:25 pm

this looks lovely. I am vege so always looking for vege stuff. I am going to fry up some tofu soon! thanks for posting!

jacci May 25, 2011 at 8:07 pm

i like tofu, but i’m not mad keen on fried food :(
i use a non stick pan, spray it with non stick spray, then i dry fry my tofu that has been dusted in flour seasoned with chilli flakes. it gets a nice crispy crust with a bit of colour. looks good and tastes better :)

Louana May 25, 2011 at 10:50 pm

I love fried tofu. No one fries tofu better than the Japanese do. And it still tastes healthy, with some soy sauce or dashi, and the crispy brown crust and silky white inside! Yum. Just looking at it makes me want to move back to Japan and eat eat eat: http://www.dharmasushi.com/image/@agedashi.JPG

Kim May 25, 2011 at 10:55 pm

I actually like to marinate the tofu over night first and then fry it up. It’s my favourite way to eat tofu too!

Amanda May 25, 2011 at 11:41 pm

I like to fry it up, similarly, but in bigger pieces (with a splash of fish sauce and siracha) and use it to make Bahn mi’s. You can even stretch the Do Chua into a (kinda) slaw by mixing it with the extra cilantro and chick peas!

Abby May 25, 2011 at 11:46 pm

browned and sprinkled with nutritional yeast and soy sauce!

Grace May 26, 2011 at 5:26 am

I’m not usually a fan of fried food (french fries as the major exception) or tofu, but I think that sounds surprisingly good!

jooleedoh May 26, 2011 at 6:05 am

girllll, my favorite tofu is definitely pan fried, but it usually has vermicelli and black fungus in them, too. the extra texture makes it so good! and i usually can only get them at my local asian market on fridays from 2-5pm. heh..

robin May 26, 2011 at 1:30 pm

I’ve never had it emma…but that looks so good!…I’m gonna give it try with this recipe…thnks

Ryan Catherine May 26, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Hi Emma!

That looks delicious, I must try it! I try to eat vegan as much as possible so might try to find a substitute for the yogurt dressing but it looks so good. My favourite way to eat tofu is on the bbq! If you’ve never had it that way before, you must try it. It’s absolutely delish! Even if I don’t have time to marinate the tofu for a long time, I just slap on some kind of sauce and grill her up and it’s divine.

robin May 26, 2011 at 8:51 pm

UPDATE..I made this for lunch just as you posted….omygoodness..it was so good emma!….no joke I might wan to have it for dinner as well…thanks so much!

Lauren Hiser May 28, 2011 at 8:35 pm

this looks so fresh and delicious for a nice spring day!

teddi May 29, 2011 at 12:41 pm

i’ve never successfully deep fried cubed tofu. however mushed it all up with hands. i can manage that. then fried it with onions or peppers or added cheese or tomato sauce for tacos, spaghetti etc. or blended it up for soup. u know with those hand motor things u stick directly in pan? or simply blend it in the blender. it thickens the soup & add extra protein. ok, i lied, this is what my guy does. i don’t really cook all that often.

Renata June 1, 2011 at 6:13 pm

My favourite way of eating tofu is marinated… Once you said your mum’s from south america so she might be able to explain you exactly what “ESCABECHE” is, because i’m not sure if ‘marinated’ and ‘al escabeche’ is the same thing… it’s quite alike anyways. I once had my tofu like that, prepared by a friend, with oil, vinegar, garlic, onions, pepper and it was like the best food in the world, i love when you can taste the soya, the taste-free tofu sucks, is like eating a piece of nutritive nothing, i don’t like that!

Well, seriously, do try some marinated tofu with bread, it’s like the best snack ever… Gosh i’m feeling so much like making my own. If i do i’ll post the recipe on my new blog (and it’ll be both in spanish and english)
xox

lauren June 7, 2011 at 5:10 pm

i like to make a tofu ricotta [crumbled up tofu with lemon, turmeric, nutritional yeast, salt, olive oil, and garlic powder] to go on my pizza. i was vegan for a long time, and i still prefer my tofu cheese to the real thing. sometimes i can’t wait for the pizza to bake though and i just use the tofu cheese as a dip with some chips or something.

Cora June 8, 2011 at 7:49 pm

I just finished making this and am eating it right now. Soooooo good! Its great to see a fun, easy and delicious tofu recipe! Thanks for making my late lunch amazing!

Hannah June 20, 2011 at 7:43 pm

i just made them and they were divine! i was out of regular vinager and so i used balsamic, so the sauce wasnt that great but the rest was delish!