Blueberry Yogurt Muffins

by Emma on May 27, 2011

in Bread,Breakfast

Hey look- it’s the slightly healthier cousin of cupcakes… le muffin. With blueberries and Greek yogurt.

These were chewy with a little bit of tang to them, as if they had been made with buttermilk.

But they weren’t. The buttermilk in my refrigerator had expired nearly a month before. And although I think it’s totally fine to use buttermilk for maybe 3-5 days after it’s expiration date… a month just seemed like tempting fate.

Hey, don’t shake your head judgmentally at me. Like you’ve never let some food product go long over it’s expiration date. Festering in the back corners of your refrigerator. Making the neighborhood in there a little… shady.

Exiled. That’s probably how the buttermilk felt. Poor guy. That’s a truly raw deal. I should have made pancakes. Dang.

I made these by adapting this recipe. Except I used blueberries instead of dates and walnuts. And I didn’t use double-acting baking powder, just regular. And it seemed to work just fine.

pinksuedeshoe May 27, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Next time I’m cleaning out the fridge I’ll send my long overdue provolone to hang out with your buttermilk….. I think the provolone was in worse shape though. It could have passed for bleu cheese…

Tonee May 27, 2011 at 11:54 pm

These looks scrumptious! DEFINITELY trying this out this Summer. I’m teaching myself to bake hehe

erin May 28, 2011 at 4:45 am

mmmm..okay, now i’m gonna have to make these. my husband LOVES blueberry muffins, so i’m pretty sure he’d eat a whole pan (if i don’t first)

Hope May 28, 2011 at 6:05 am

! You are funny and adorable. I found you through Freckled Nest and love your blog so far! :)

Rebecca May 28, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Oh Emma, these look so yummy! I’ve got some blueberries in my fridge right now, I’m just hoping they haven’t got the way of your buttermilk…

chelseabird May 28, 2011 at 11:49 pm

Oh my, these look amazing!

Heather May 30, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Emma these look yummy!! Would you mind if I do a screen shot of your new blog to share on mine?

Emma May 30, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Heather- go for it. :)

Jet May 30, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Hi Emma,
mmm! Chapeau to all your recipes. Only one problem: since a while I’m not allowed to eat oats, so no bread, pasta, rice, corn, soja… or cupcakes for poor me!
Are you up for a challenge? It would make me happy!
Can you make sweet recipes / cupcakes without oats? A hard task, I know. I’m already figuring out each day what to eat for lunch but salad / eggs or steak on a (birthday) party?

I love your new blog by the way!

Groet (dutch greet), Jet

2 Hungry Blondes May 30, 2011 at 4:05 pm

We just adore your new website Emma! These muffins look absolutely fantastic :) We can’t wait to try out your adaptation of the recipe. They look super yum!

Keep up the amazing work on your blog! We really enjoy your posts :)

Have a sweet and savory kind of day,
Shalane and Jessica :)
2hungryblondes.blogspot.com

Mandy Crandell May 31, 2011 at 10:53 am

Blueberries are my favorite! These look so, so good!

christine June 1, 2011 at 4:51 pm

i wish we were neighbors so i could always taste your yummy recipes!

berni June 13, 2011 at 11:25 am

Emma these muffins are amazing! I bake them almost every week now because they’re so simple but so good. Perfect with a cup of milky tea!x