Tomato and Feta Frittata

by Emma on April 6, 2011

in Breakfast,Dinner

When asked what was for dinner this past Sunday I think I replied by saying, “a frittata” about three or four times before I gave up and started saying “it’s a baked omelette.”

Truthfully I was just nervous that I was pronouncing “frittata” wrong.

I pronounce a LOT of words wrong.

Fritatta
Whether you call it a frittata or a baked omelette the result is the same: a light and delicious meal that can be served any time of day. And this took about 20 minutes to make.

Tap, tap, tap… is thing on? I said TWENTY MINUTES! That’s awesome. Short of making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich this is one of the quickest dinners I have made in a long time. And, just like an omelette, you can change up the filling ingredients to suit your fancy or depending on what you have on hand.

Sometimes I love easy. It’s just nice.

Bakedomelette
Tomato and Feta Frittata, makes 3-4 servings

Ingredients: 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons minced garlic, 6 eggs, 1/4 cup chopped green scallions, 1 large tomato, 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese, salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400 F. In a cast iron skillet, or other oven safe pan, saute the garlic in olive oil for 1 minute over medium heat. In a bowl whisk together the eggs + salt and pepper. Pour egg mixture into hot pan. Arrange tomato slices, green scallions and feta over the top. Once the edges of the frittata have set move the pan to the oven and continue to bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven and allow it to cool in the pan, then gently slid it out of the pan onto a cutting board or serving platter using a spatula.

I like to slice mine with a pizza cutter. But only if I’m feeling fancy.

Jiji April 6, 2011 at 9:58 am

OMG, this sounds delicious. I think I need to make it right away!

anne April 6, 2011 at 12:43 pm

mmmmmmmm!

La April 6, 2011 at 2:07 pm

all i can say is yum!
I wish i could put my hand in the screen and take that out and eat it. yum yum yum.

Songbird April 6, 2011 at 9:56 pm

I get so hungry after reading your posts. Next time I will bring a snack :) Looks yummy, emma!
xx
Shelley

Becca April 7, 2011 at 9:05 am

What can I say? after reading this post I’ve just made this for lunch and it was down right yummers!
Love you blog Emma – think your fantastic.
xx Becca

robin April 7, 2011 at 12:16 pm

I want it NOW!!…just sittin here licking my chops and I think you ar pretty darn fantastic as well!

Bekka April 7, 2011 at 9:28 pm

I love an easy meal! This looks great!

Cristina April 8, 2011 at 3:40 am

Hi Emma, I like reading your blog and check your recipes. I recently got 2 goood natural food cookbooks by Heidi Swanson, I strongly rec comend them, she also has a website, http://www.cookbooks101.com worth checking it out for foodie people like us :o )

Beth April 8, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Made this today, with a few additions (mushrooms in the fridge that needed to be used up, no scallions on hand but a red onion subbed in, I tend to throw dill on everything…)
Holy mother of god, so delicious. My belly is happy and my house smells like absolute heaven.
Talked about my version (and gave you credit, of course) on my blog: http://southernbluestocking.wordpress.com/
Thanks for the recipe! Wow!

Julia April 12, 2011 at 8:25 am

I’ll help you: free-TAH-Ta
(rolling of the “r” is desired, but I’d leave it out since it can come off as pretentious…even if you’re Italian, like me)
Frittata is one of my favorites! But be careful – saying this is a breakfast food in front of a passionate Itai will get you the stink eye. Frittata is traditionally served at dinner alone as most Italians will simply have an espresso and a pastry in the AM.
You’ve inspired me to make this for dinner tonight! Buon Appetito!

Sasha April 12, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Perfect!!! I just bought eggs and feta! I think I know what I’m making for dinner tonight… Thanks again :)

Stacy April 12, 2011 at 6:24 pm

I like the free-tah-ta and all, but the real gem of this post is your narration. You’re one hell of a written comedian Emma!

SunnyAC April 16, 2011 at 5:34 pm

My husband and I (recently turned vegetarians) made this for lunch and LOVED it. I also made the curry (which i have Never made before) and egg roll (which I have never rolled before) recipes for dinner last night! Love your suggestions! :)

popdisorder June 3, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Yesterday I have tried baked omlette for the first time in my life and voila today I see it on your blog :D
I just wanted to say that you are very cute and your food is really nice ( I think your friends and family are very very happy about that ;) ) and your blue hair is so amazing!!

Erin Puckett December 14, 2011 at 3:25 am

I made this today…it was my first time cooking (in general) and as a wife. It was super easy and got lots of compliments. I paired it with the twice baked sweet potatoes. I know, weird combo…but I was just in the mood. Thanks for the recipes.