Food for thought

by Emma on April 27, 2011

in Books

52LoavesMedium
I recently finished reading 52 Loaves by William Alexander and I must say, I was so impressed. And talk about obsession, Alexander spent a whole year baking, traveling to bread conferences, taking baking courses in Pairs and even baking at a monastery all in the pursuit of the perfect loaf!

What a foodie. Geez.

This book chronicles his journey-it has irreverent humor, scientific facts, historical explorations and (maybe most importantly) recipes. I really enjoyed this entire book, and I highly recommend it. But I must warn you: it will have you wanting to stop everything and bake bread.

But that’s not so bad, right? :)

What have you been reading lately? Any great summer reading suggestions?

Jenifer Higgins April 27, 2011 at 2:50 pm

I reccomend you try My Bread by Jim Lahey. The recipes are amazing, the bread turns out so good, and the unconvetional methods are fun and easy. Personally, the white bread, stecca, and pizza bianca are my favorites.

emma April 27, 2011 at 3:10 pm

It’s so funny because I just bought this book last month. ;)

Jenn April 27, 2011 at 3:42 pm

I’m adding this to my amazon wish list. I could eat bread all day everyday!!!

kayla April 27, 2011 at 5:02 pm

You should read The Forgotten Garden! So so good!

Lauren London April 27, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. The movie is amazing as well. :)

danielle April 27, 2011 at 9:37 pm

aww i really want to make bread but have yet to get a bread machine or a dutch oven. i just read patti smith’s just kids and it was pretty awesome!

Allison April 27, 2011 at 9:45 pm

I highly recommend The Help by Kathryn Stockett. Such a great eye-opening story.

Kaz April 28, 2011 at 4:36 am

I’m reaing Tina Fey’s ‘Bossypants’ – it is hilarious. And even worse I can identify with so much of it! Geek over here for reals.

Lena Woods April 28, 2011 at 7:51 am

You should read ‘Fruit Hunters’ by Adam Leith Gollner. He basically goes around the world tasting different fruits and meeting crazy fruit connoisseurs. It’s a really interesting and fast read, quite a bit like ’52 Loaves’, it sounds like :)

Amanda April 28, 2011 at 10:11 am

Unbearable Lightness by Portia de Rossi. It was such a great book and so well written. It really made me re-think how I think about my body.

Marya April 28, 2011 at 11:41 am

I would love to do this with cupcakes. Make one a week. How fun!! This book is going on my list on books to read.

Mandy @ Miss Indie April 29, 2011 at 12:19 am

Wow this book sounds really interesting! I’ll have to check it out..
I just bought Eat, Pray, Love. My mom and I watched the movie a week ago and I was like, “holy crap I need to read the book”, haha. I hope it’s good! :]

ErinV April 29, 2011 at 9:06 am

I was just looking at his other book, ‘The $64 Tomato’. I was debating on whether to get that one or ‘And I Shall Find Some Peace There’ by Margaret Roach. I picked the latter and I’m really enjoying it. I plan to read the ‘The $64 Tomato’ and ’52 Loaves’ next.

holly May 19, 2011 at 2:22 pm

you should probably read “stargirl” by jerry spinelli.

just sayin’