Tiramisu Cupcakes

by Emma on March 21, 2011

in Dessert

Tirimasucupcakes
I generally try and keep my coffee/espresso drink intake to one beverage a day.

I tend to stick to coffee, but I love a good americano now and again too. :)

I find that too much caffeine makes me angry. Like the hulk. But without the cool green muscles.

So just the manic anger for no apparent (good) reason.

Which is not very attractive or fun to be around. Surprise.

So I try and have a little moderation with my caffeine love affair.

I do not count cupcakes made with coffee. Nope.

Coffee&cake
Yes, these cupcakes are a subtle mix of coffee and chocolate flavor with a creamy mascarpone frosting.

I did not find a way to incorporate any marsala wine or brandy, but I don't think these really need it.

Coffeecupcakes
Tiramisu Cupcakes, makes 12 standard size

You will need: 1 cup + 2 tablespoons all purpose flour, 1 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons cocoa, 2 teaspoons baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract, 1/3 cup oil (I used vegetable but canola or peanut oil would be good too) 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar, 1 cup brewed coffee (cooled).

Whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl whisk together vanilla, oil, vinegar and coffee. Combine the wet and dry ingredients. This batter will be very wet-that's normal. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake at 350 F for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.

Trust the toothpick.

Mascarpone frosting, makes enough to frost 2 dozen. (This is how I made it, so if you are only frosting a dozen you can try and half this recipe. I would have done this for you, but I haven't really tested it that way so I thought I'd just tell you what I really did. Yo.)

You will need: 8 ounces mascarpone cheese, 2-3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream, 1/2 cup powered sugar.

Cream together the softened mascarpone and cream. Add in half the powdered sugar and cream just until smooth then add in the other half and repeat. After I frosted my cupcakes I sifted on a little cocoa powder-trying for that "tiramisu" look.

Tweet_tater March 22, 2011 at 8:26 am

This is genius! Looks so delicious.

erika March 22, 2011 at 10:34 am

thanks for this recipe,can a ask you a dumb question?distilled white vinegar is the regular white vinegar?
Thanks XOxo

Hannah Clare March 22, 2011 at 11:41 am

Ooh, I love coffee muffins! I will have to try these.

emma March 22, 2011 at 3:58 pm

ericka-yes, it’s just regular white vinegar.

elle March 22, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Oh, I love your blog. You should publish a cookbook. Seriously! x

Amber P. March 22, 2011 at 6:03 pm

These look delicious! I’ve been working on a coffee frosting recipe but I think I’ll have to give this cupcake recipe a try :)
-Amber

Charin March 22, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Those look ridiculously good :)

Kellie March 22, 2011 at 11:53 pm

i think ive died and gone to heaven…two amazing things in one!!!
-kellie

mary kuzkin March 23, 2011 at 1:17 am

oh my goodness, we share the same crazy love for coffee!
thank you for sharing the recipe to these beauties! i will be using it for my next baking endeavor!!!
love your blog!
<3 mk

Michelle March 23, 2011 at 8:14 am

I find that too much caffeine makes me angry. Like the hulk. <<, THIS ! Is funny!!! I have been looking for a good recipe for this. I wanted to make them on and post on my blog. Can’t wait to try.

Kiki March 23, 2011 at 11:18 am

i can’t wait to try these! they look super yummy! i always say if i don’t get my morning coffee I will hulk out lol :)

Erica B. March 23, 2011 at 2:12 pm

You could brush the cupcake with the wine, if you wanted the extra flavor.

alethea March 23, 2011 at 5:33 pm

Ah! one of my favorites! :) We serve ours with a little sugar sprinkled lady finger ♥ great recipe, Emma!

Julie March 23, 2011 at 11:15 pm

You could have your brandy on the side perhaps? J/k these look scrumptious!

lulu March 24, 2011 at 12:24 am

lookssooo yummy!!

Kaitlyn March 24, 2011 at 10:12 am

i can’t wait to make these!

Gabbie March 24, 2011 at 5:12 pm

These sound great, I’m going to give ‘em a go!

Jiji March 25, 2011 at 9:12 am

Oh my gosh, these look scrumptious! They will definitely be made and consumed be me very shortly.

Knitted-dream.blogspot.com March 26, 2011 at 2:22 pm

I tried making these cupcakes today and they turned out a bit too salty… Did I do something wrong? Too much baking soda? They did however turn out really moist.
Any suggestions would be great! Thanks in advance and thanks for sharing this recipe.

Grace Maria Buchanan May 5, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Hey, this recipe looks awesome. Tiramasu is pretty much my favorite dessert. I can’t wait to try these. Have you ever made tiramasu? I have had cakes that are inspired by, but because its such a favorite, its hard to let it go if they dont taste exactly like it…
I really cant wait to try these, but like the tiramasu’s I’ve made, you should just add the wine or brandy into the mascarpone, or like one of these comments suggested, brushing it over the cupcake sounds awesome. Im just not a drinker so if it was strong tasting, that may be too much.
ANYWAY. I wanted to encourage you only. Tell you thank you for this recipe and all of the other great recipes you take the time to post… and if there’s a way you could add that other small flavor to make it perfect! You should!
(Since I havent tried them, being the expert that I am, they may be perfect already so I really dont mean any insult. I care so deeply for tiramasu!) :)

Bel September 30, 2011 at 12:11 pm

oh. my. gosh.

so these are amazing.
just made them last night. ate about 4.
woke up. ate another. went to yoga. came home. ate 2 more.

seriously good. i even ate one before yoga, knowing full well they had caffeine in them, even though that’s a ridiculous thing to do before going to yoga – they were that good. i basically had to.

thanks a millions for the recipe. will definitely be on high rotation round these parts….

bel. xx

lilbleubird November 29, 2011 at 9:51 pm

These look delicious! I cannot wait to try this recipe for the holidays.

Lindsay January 10, 2012 at 8:22 pm

I noticed that the recipe did not call for eggs. Any particular reason? I’m going to make them just the way they are (except I will be brushing them with Brandy after baking) this week but I just had to ask, why no eggs?