Mint Whipped Cream

by Emma on March 28, 2011

in Dessert

Grapefruit
I love grapefruit, but only in the spring and summer months. If I could think of a good way to… um, heat up citrus I would love it in winter too. But I just think citrus fruits are so good served cold and raw. So I like them best in the warmer months.

If you live where all your months are warm-I am jealous of you. This morning I woke up to snow on my car. Not a lot, and there was none on the ground. Just on my car and the porch.

Fickle midwest spring weather. Geez.

In other news, did you know that making your own whipped cream is suuuuuuuper easy? It's true. Simply fill a large mixing bowl with heavy whipping cream (I used 1 quart last night and it was plenty), 1/4 cup (or less) or sugar and beat with an electric mixer until it gets fluffy (3-5 minutes). I stirred in a drop of mint flavor, I love a little mint taste here and there. It's refreshing.

This whipped cream could top fruits, cakes, pies-or the ever classic: just eat it right out of the bowl.

Carrie Rosalind March 28, 2011 at 10:38 am

Mmm…that sounds really good! I had no idea that it was that easy to make whipped cream, and a little mint in it sounds delish!

kate March 28, 2011 at 10:42 am

i love whipped cream! also, i randomly discovered that if you use whipped cream and a package of chocolate pudding it makes INSANELY good light frosting!
2cups whipping cream, beat until frothy, add 1 pkg of chocolate pudding, beat until thick and frostingish. Save some for the cake because you will want to eat it all straight from the bowl!
never thought to add mint… sooo trying this next ;)

kate March 28, 2011 at 11:09 am

ohh what a yummy combo!!!!

marina ramos March 28, 2011 at 11:31 am

uau Emma, seems so beautifull, delicious and lightly! I will try!
A hi from Brussels!

emma March 28, 2011 at 12:35 pm

kate-that sounds like a great frosting idea! I will be trying that sometime. :)

Laula March 28, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Wait, what? Doesn’t people know how to whip cream?

suzy. March 28, 2011 at 2:00 pm

oh, broiling grapefruit is one of my favorite ways to eat it. i first saw the idea here:
it’s so warm and delicious!

Lindsay Jewell March 28, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Don’t know why I’ve never thought to add mint to my whipped cream. Thanks for the idea.

deja March 28, 2011 at 2:42 pm

I love fresh fruits with whipped cream in the summer and warmer months, but sometimes I love them so much I also eat it in the cold months, lol. I’ll have to try the mint flavor, that’s a great idea, goes for any flavoring at that!
xoxo

Janna Lynn March 28, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Yumm! I’ve gotta give this a try. I know, its all sunny in Michigan but bitter cold, its totally teasing because you think it might feel nice out..but it isn’t! Hoping it heats up soon..Hearts, Janna Lynn

Caitlin March 28, 2011 at 7:59 pm

I’ll have to try making my own whipped cream next time I make a pie. Didn’t know it was that simple! Thanks!

bargain bex March 28, 2011 at 11:46 pm

i don’t think i’ve ever seen (or read) something so sweetly tantalizing as this mint whipped cream. must. try. soon.

Christy March 29, 2011 at 6:36 am

Once again, a little confused – how else do you make whipped cream without whipping heavy cream? I’m seriously hoping you are not meaning cream from a can which is NOT whipped cream but aerated fluff.
Do like the idea of mint cream though.

Shannon March 29, 2011 at 9:10 pm

LOVE the idea of adding mint to whipped cream.
I second the confusion though – how else would you get whipped cream (the stuff in cans doesn’t count…). And you don’t actually need sugar, just the cream works wonderfully (though we do have different types of cream here in Australia).

emma March 30, 2011 at 6:12 pm

When I first started cooking I had no idea that whipped cream was seriously made from literally “whipping” heavy whipping cream. It was a revelation to me at the time. But if you already knew this, then of course it would probably not seem so special. :) No confusion. I just didn’t know this for a long time and thought maybe others were in the same boat.

Nikki March 31, 2011 at 3:33 am