Breakfast Burritos

by Emma on March 10, 2011

in Breakfast,Dinner

Breakfast burritos for busy bodies who are bored of bagels.

I like alliteration.

Breakfastburritos2
I also like breakfast. And I really love breakfast for dinner. And this meal is all of those things rolled into one. (Get it-rolled into one-like a burrito.)

Here's something else: if you are a vegetarian or considering becoming one or are just looking eat more meatless meals now and again than this is a great meal idea for you. It's delicious, very customizable, easy to make AND it packs quite a bit of protein.

I know when I first became a vegetarian (back in 2005) I didn't do a great job of replacing the missing protein in my meals. It can be a little daunting at first. But after a while I found lots of creative and yummy ways to incorporate beans and rice, eggs, peanut butter and other nuts into my diet. I also happen to be a fan of tofu (but mostly when I eat out). I am certainly not a nutritionist, but I have learned a lot over the years about being meatless and still healthy.

Aside from all the cake I eat. :)

Breakfastburrito
For these breakfast burritos I roasted: 2 red bell peppers, 1 onion, 2 jalapeno (seeds removed) and 1 can of black beans (drained and rinsed).

Roastedveggies
I highly recommend roasting these ingredients sprinkled with a little olive oil and sea salt, in your oven on 400 F for 10-12 minutes as I feel roasted veggies have a super delicious flavor.

Burritofilling
While those are roasting, scramble 6-8 eggs and then add in all those roasted veggies.

Now fill burrito sized tortillas with filling, plus sprinkle on some chopped cilantro and shredded cheese.

Cilantroforever
I squeezed in a little lemon juice too. But if you want to add in hot sauce or spicy salsa feel free! Then wrap these burritos in foil. I think this makes them easier to eat, but also if you are headed off to work or school it will keep your burrito warmer for a while.

This makes 5-6 burritos.

I do not recommend trying to drive and eat a breakfast burrito. We've all been there. Just don't. It's a mess (not to mention probably a bit dangerous).

Viva la BREAKFAST!!!!!

Marie-Eve March 10, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Thanks ! I’m gonna try this for the weekend brunch this week. Looks soooo good.

Ashlae March 10, 2011 at 12:54 pm

I LOVE breakfast for dinner. My boyfriend always makes fun of me because I’ll suggest scrambled tofu + sausage or waffles + hashbrowns for dinner at least once per week.
But, I must admit – although tofu is a sufficient egg replacer, I really miss the consistency of eggs.

Angela March 10, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Yum, those look great! I’m so happy to have come across your blog the other day, what great food (and pictures) you share!

jooleedoh March 10, 2011 at 2:37 pm

okay, breakfast burritos is my second all time fave breakfast item. (omelets being my #1. you should do an omelet post, and if you have – you should link me to it). xo

Kayla March 10, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Making this for dinner tonight!

La March 10, 2011 at 6:27 pm

these are defffffinetly being accomplished tomorrow!! Your posts are hilarious, such a good read!
La

Sunshine Monica March 10, 2011 at 7:22 pm

Hello there!
so this is totally non related to the delicious looking food you just made, but I saw this over at Bake It Pretty and had to share with you.
cupcake fondue!

Janette March 10, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Looks yum-o.. I decided to become a vegetarian this week… I’m on day 4. I highly doubt I’ll make it another week without meat..lol All I’ve been eating is falafel and gardenburgers. It’s getting old.. Maybe I just need some new recipes?? If this vegetarian thing fails,I’m still definitely attempting to downsize the meat consumption for sure…
Thanks for the recipe!

Kara March 10, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Is it socially acceptable to eat burritos for every meal? I think by posting this, you’re saying that it is. I will take that as Word.

Jen March 10, 2011 at 10:02 pm

YUM! I am SO making this!! thanks Emma :)

bob March 11, 2011 at 8:01 am

that looks yummy. i’m pretty sure nothing is more awesome to wake up to than a big breakfast burrito and cup of coffee.

LindsayBobindsay March 11, 2011 at 3:13 pm

You can also make a bunch of burritos to freeze, they are so delicious! I recommend beans and rice (brown rice + beans = complete protein) because when you microwave the egg burritos they puff up real big and then are a little watery. Probably you aren’t supposed to freeze and then microwave scrambled eggs or something. *shrug*

chelsea megan March 11, 2011 at 10:20 pm

Wow, these look great! I’m looking for ways to eat more meatless meals, and I definitely plan to try this. Also, awesome alliteration. :)
If you’re craving some after-breakfast cookies, check out the banana chocolate chip cookie recipe on my blog, wordsandwhimsy.tumblr.com. :)

Emilie March 16, 2011 at 11:51 am

These look awesome! I’m a huge fan of interesting breakfast sandwiches- especially now that I have a panini maker!
Emilie
liveeatsmile.blogspot.com

Leminh March 17, 2011 at 11:39 pm

driving while eating a chocolate dipped cone is pretty impossible too!

Bekka March 24, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Yummy!
And wow — you’re on a roll, you witty girl! :)

Cheap Jordan Shoes April 16, 2011 at 2:22 am

I WAS VERY PLEASED TO FIND THIS SITE. I WANTED TO THANK YOU FOR THIS GREAT READ!!!

Jessicaq July 22, 2011 at 3:26 am

This looks so yummy! I can’t wait to try it. Thank you so much for this.
I love the new look of your blog, so fantastic! :)