One. Not so long. Book.

by Emma on February 3, 2011

in Books

I've been quite busy this past month. I started school. We are making a new website at work. I met a nice boy. So I haven't really been on my "A" game in the reading department. I have fallen behind… so this month I have only one book to recommend to you. But it's a charmer!

Mysteriousbenedictsociety

I first saw The Mysterious Benedict Society when I was browsing around Borders one day, looking for Christmas presents. I picked it up because I thought the cover was adorable and then I read the back cover and decided I would check it out the next chance I got. The story line revolves around four extraordinary children who… well… must save the world. Duh. It's a young readers book, what did you expect. But Mr. Stewart's imaginative writing is quite charming and his characters are very very easy to fall in love with. My only complaint might be that the villain could have been more clever and, well, evil. But it was a joy watching these strange and funny children work together to spy, sabotage and (spoiler) ultimately save mankind from an evil would-be dictator.

So that was nice.

Oh-and there is a sketch at the beginning of each chapter. And they are worth reading for even if this book had been boring, which it was not.

What have you been reading lately?

Jennifer Ann February 3, 2011 at 7:19 pm

on recommendation from and old blog post of yours I read Never Let me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. I really liked it!

Cedar February 3, 2011 at 8:11 pm

I love the art on the cover! I will have to see if my library has this–I love reading young adult books.

lisa February 3, 2011 at 8:20 pm

good pick – i also stumbled across this book while christmas shopping and couldn’t resist it!

Janette February 3, 2011 at 8:31 pm

That cover TOTALLY would have captured my eye too! It’s so cute.. I want to live there… on the uttermost topperest floor, of course. The only thing I’m reading right now is the Bible…the book of Psalms to be exact… It’s beautiful.
-Janette
PS. I love your blog, bee-tee-double-you..It makes me hungry for sure…

Amanda Woodford February 3, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Is the cover illustrated by Carson Ellis? It looks like her work…she does all the Decemberists artwork, too. :)

kelly February 3, 2011 at 10:22 pm

It’s an easy read, but you should pick up The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick. I just finished it the other day and it was a fantastic read! You’ll enjoy it. :) )

laura February 3, 2011 at 11:38 pm

i picked up this book awhile ago for the cover alone!
i just finished reading book of lost things by john connolly and it was so good!

emily February 3, 2011 at 11:38 pm

loved this book! have you read the other two yet?

sharon February 4, 2011 at 12:43 am

i recommend if i stay by gayle forman. its a wonderful book. the sequel comes out in april. can’t wait :)

Suzy February 4, 2011 at 1:18 am

I second the Invention of Hugo Cabret! You’ll really love it – the artwork in it is like a vintage film. It’s kinda revolutionary! Anyway, I liked the beginning of Benedict Society, but didn’t you find the end kind of bizarre?
Love your blog by the way! I’ve been lurking for a while… It’s really inspiring!

Jen February 4, 2011 at 1:26 am

sweet! i too, recently picked up one of the mysterious benedict society books at a store, because the cover drew me in. only read a few pages but, now i will def. have to buy one and read it! :) thanks for the review!
i’ve been reading the handmade marketplace. its awesome. i’m really hoping to expand my business and create full time.
also, its good to hear you met a nice boy. (hope this doesn’t sound too weird, since i’ve never met you) but i actually prayed about this for you. :)

Hannah B. February 4, 2011 at 6:55 am

Love *Love* Love that book! I picked it up last year for the same reason and now ive got the 2nd one to read eventually. So cute!

larissa February 4, 2011 at 8:48 am

You always have great book recommendations!

Marmie February 4, 2011 at 10:49 am

Oh my gosh, Emma, I love these books so much! I found the first two at Marshall’s of all places and quickly read through them. I HAD to run out and buy the third in hardback because I couldn’t wait haha. I love that they’re easy to read but the story is still pretty stellar.
Good choice!

emma February 4, 2011 at 11:03 am

you guys know me too well-I adored Hugo Cabret! I can’t wait till the movie comes out.
Jen-you are too sweet. Lord knows I could use the prayers. :)

Katie February 4, 2011 at 12:10 pm

I also saw that book while at Borders and almost got it! I will definitely go back and take a second look!

Michelle February 5, 2011 at 2:02 am

I have two absolutely MUST-READS: Rain of Gold by Victor Villasenor. It’s about two mexican families living in different places in Mexico during the revolution who move to the U.S. to escape the violence. It is ultimately a love story and seems like fiction but it is not! It’s based on the author’s family and their memories growing up. I could not wait to find out what happened next! It’s filled with life-lessons and it’s funny!
The other book is: The Story Sisters. I admit the cover did not attract me but once I started reading, I could not put it down! I finished it in 3 days staying up until 3 in the morning because I was completely enthralled. It is a difficult book to read at times because the story of each sister is so real and honest.
Hope you read these!

Faith Kellermeyer February 5, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Carson Ellis is my favorite illustrator in the world, and I’ve been meaning to read this book for so long. I’m inspired to finally actually do it! :) thanks!

delpheena February 5, 2011 at 4:17 pm

i picked this book up totally at random a few years ago, and i absolutely LOVE it! don’t know anyone else who’s read it, though (or even heard of it, for that matter), so it was fun to see it mentioned here :) sort of in the same spirit – well, there’s illustrations and übersmart kids in both, at least – is reif larsen’s “the selected works of t.s. spivet”, which i also adored.
i actually just started reading a book that gives me the same vibes (so far, at least), “the evolution of calpurnia tate” by jaqueline kelly.

Sarah Rachel February 6, 2011 at 3:46 pm

You might like “Ursula Under” by Ingrid Hill. I am into British historical fiction right now… Guinevere, Elizabeth I, and Isolde. I can’t help it. I have ovaries.

Inna May 20, 2011 at 5:39 pm

I love this book! I’ve read all three in the series, and they aresome of my favorites. :) I really enjoy “kids” books. :) Have you ever read the City of Ember? Or Holes? Those are great books. Also, The Search for WondLa. I just finished that one. It’s very strange and different than any book I’ve ever read before … but I loved it! Seriously could not put it down. The illustrations are amazing.

Jessi December 13, 2011 at 3:21 am

Hi, Emma! Have you heard of Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster? This year is its 50th anniversary. Also a children’s book, it’s one of those clever in a kid’s-wouldn’t-understand-until-they’re-older kind of way. Thought maybe you’d enjoy it. Hope your week is merry and bright! Happy Christmas!