Grilled Apple and Gruyere Sandwiches

by Emma on February 7, 2011

in Uncategorized

Sandwiches
This is my *current* favorite sandwich.

This last week I was snowed in for a few days. (By the way, this never happened to me in California. I'm just going to get that off my chest right now.) And inevitably I ran out of granny smith apples.

I only buy one or two at a time. I do not know why. They just seem so big.

After two days of being snowed in, with a small wedge of gruyere still staring up at me every time I opened the fridge (which was a lot, because, hey-snow days are for eating) I decided to face the icy roads for an apple.

I bought other things at the store too. Just so I wouldn't look like a total crazy face.

But I was there for the apple.

And when I got home I made of one these sandwiches. And the universe sighed its satisfaction.

Or maybe that was me.

Pretty cool life I have, huh? Don't be jealous now.

Oh, by the way… we (at Red Velvet) have a new website Just saying.

Sarah February 7, 2011 at 1:08 pm

That sandwich looks deliciousss. I’m so hungry, I wish I was eating it right now!
Congrats on the new RV website. <3

jeny February 7, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Two of my favorite things…why did I never think to do this?!? Must try soon. Also the RV site is so nice.

Jenna February 7, 2011 at 5:59 pm

mmm looks delish! I can only eat green apples (the others always disappoint)but it seems they are out of season down here in NZ:( as I can’t find any!

Janette February 7, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Wowsers! Okay Ms. Emma…I think I’m vowing to boycott your blog for sure because you just post stuff that I would love to eat but A. I don’t have the ingredients and have to run to the store B. I’m too lazy to make posted amazingness. or C. It’s Monday and it’s the first day of my diet…Oh boy… Dilemmas. Dilemmas!

Kara February 7, 2011 at 11:44 pm

You are my personal hero. Cheese? Fruit? Carbs? All at once? And you’re beautiful and have an awesome job to BOOT?!
Please come to Phoenix and be my bff. Thanks!

Han February 8, 2011 at 8:20 am

My favourite sandwiches are strawberry jam :D

Erica B. February 8, 2011 at 8:22 am

Yummy!! Just think how amazing this same combo would be in Puff Pastry.

Tanya February 8, 2011 at 3:02 pm

oh those just look so good! i have to branch out and try other cheeses besides swiss and havarti! haha!

Kingfunk.blogspot.com February 8, 2011 at 10:00 pm

That could make my tummy happy. Are you a sandwich dipper? If so, do you have any suggestions?

Laura February 13, 2011 at 12:48 pm

I love grilled cheese and making interesting new combos – this sounds like a great idea, I can’t wait to try it out for myself soon! Thanks for sharing!

Stephanie @ cravingworthy. February 14, 2011 at 10:17 pm

YUM! I made one with pears…do you use mayo as the fat to grill the sandwiches or just plain butter? I think mayo is a wonderful fat to use…

Katherine February 16, 2011 at 1:11 am

That recipe makes me think of Chuck from Pushing Daisies…

Coach Purses March 10, 2011 at 9:32 pm

I couldn’t agree with you more! And thanks for the blog award! I’m just thrilled to receive this award from you. I’ll be sure to keep this blog an interesting place for my awesome readers, such as yourself, to keep coming back to!